Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Howl-O-Scream 2020

Busch Gardens Tampa has announced that its annual Halloween event, Howl-O-Scream, will return this fall for its 21st year in a modified form to adhere to pandemic safety guidelines; featuring open-air scare zones and entertainment.

It'll be interesting to see how well this does without haunted houses. Will scarezones, the Fiends show and night time rides on the coasters be enough of a draw to get people to buy a ticket? For passholders it looks like tickets are only about $30 most Fri/Sat nights and only $25 on Sunday's, which isn't too bad. But with no multi-night ticket options available, will passholders want to come back again? If only they had some type of new ride they could open to help entice people to come...
Without HHN, I'd say people are more likely to check it out

Also, I wouldn't sleep on the scarezones at HOS

Without HHN, I'd say people are more likely to check it out

Also, I wouldn't sleep on the scarezones at HOS

I mean, I've been going to HOS every year since 2006. The scarezones are fine and all but I don't think they can carry the event as is. Hopefully this year they're a bit more elaborate.

Either way, people will definitely be looking to get their spooky fix one way or another, so hopefully they pull from the "I miss HHN" crowd.

I mean, I've been going to HOS every year since 2006. The scarezones are fine and all but I don't think they can carry the event as is. Hopefully this year they're a bit more elaborate.

Either way, people will definitely be looking to get their spooky fix one way or another, so hopefully they pull from the "I miss HHN" crowd.
It's a great way for them to still draw a profit off the event, save money on houses, and maybe get some people that they normally don't get

They should have started this the same week HHN was going to begin. I know we are the exception, but our group is still coming to FL 9/12 to 9/24 and would have spent a ton of money on an HHN substitute.

They should have started this the same week HHN was going to begin. I know we are the exception, but our group is still coming to FL 9/12 to 9/24 and would have spent a ton of money on an HHN substitute.
I've never seen them go earlier than the last week of September...and that's even viewed as a soft opening

I do have to wonder why they wouldn't push in another weekend...It's not like the house construction/rehearsal schedule is an issue now

Agreed. If SZs is going to be the bread and butter this year, they need to really step it up.

The one thing i have always loved about HOS is the energy a lot of the scare-actors have! They are given a little more "rope" to use to get the scare. Last time we went the sliders, shovels, and FREAKING ghillie suits would never fail to get someone in our group! The random actors dressed like normal park staff was always a nice touch... Thinking the garbage was just being emptied then my wife getting the crap scared out of her was AWESOME! I for one will 100% be going back to HOS... I will miss not being able to go through the houses, but i would take normal janitorial staff yelling at me from the bushes right now.

With all of the cancellations in the horror theme world, the line has been lowered considerably. I'd bet this gets well attended covid capacity restraint wise, and
well received, with expectations for the season being so low. Most people will probably be happy to experience most anything.

I brought the idea up to my friends who are usually game for both HHN & HOS. The consensus was no houses, no go.

The scare zones are some of the best part of HOS though? I actually get scares in them unlike HHN (due to lower crowds, etc.).

The one thing i have always loved about HOS is the energy a lot of the scare-actors have! They are given a little more "rope" to use to get the scare. Last time we went the sliders, shovels, and FREAKING ghillie suits would never fail to get someone in our group! The random actors dressed like normal park staff was always a nice touch... Thinking the garbage was just being emptied then my wife getting the crap scared out of her was AWESOME! I for one will 100% be going back to HOS... I will miss not being able to go through the houses, but i would take normal janitorial staff yelling at me from the bushes right now.
HOS is far more...um...practical with their scares

It has its pluses and minuses

Conga lines at HOS are awful and detrimental to the event...If you are pulsed through an HOS house, it's next level

HOS is far more...um...practical with their scares

It has its pluses and minuses

Conga lines at HOS are awful and detrimental to the event...If you are pulsed through an HOS house, it's next level

I fully agree! We did 5 years in a row at HOS, and stopped going because of the same houses over and over... The place was JAMMED with people! The zones had a lot to be desired but the actors were on point out there. I've always looked at HOS as a Broadway play compared to the big budget movie that is HHN, if the actors are into it, the immersion will be there! I am not expecting to get blown away by their SZ takeover but it is something and i am excited for it!

Wow, this could be lit. If I hit this and what Universal is planning to do. That would be more than enough for my Halloween fix this year.

Busch Gardens Tampa has revealed its 10 scare zones for this year's modified Howl-O-Scream event and will feature 4 new zones.

Any tips for the event. Do I need a quick queue for the rides? First time at BG Tampa and Howl o Scream and don’t know what to expect going October 4th

Any tips for the event. Do I need a quick queue for the rides? First time at BG Tampa and Howl o Scream and don’t know what to expect going October 4th
I'm not 100 percent sure what to expect either...I think the lack of houses will greatly increase wait times for attractions

Add in some social distancing and sanitization of the rides and it may lead to longer waits

I can almost guaruntee you that Cheetah Hunt will have a lengthy wait...But rides like Kumba, SheiKra and Montu may have more manageable waits

I'm not sure what effect the limited capacity will have on the event either