Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Howl-O-Scream 2021 (SeaWorld Orlando)

Probably the weakest part of the event but they are fun. It's got some growing pains for sure, especially on night one.

If I learned anything from Inside Universal, its "The Human Element." I hear the event is not as scary as it's sister event in Tampa, but does anyone who went last night think that is because the actors need time to get their footing in a all new event?

If I learned anything from Inside Universal, its "The Human Element." I hear the event is not as scary as it's sister event in Tampa, but does anyone who went last night think that is because the actors need time to get their footing in a all new event?
Generally I think the event will only get better with time.

Streets are better than anything HHN has done in YEARS so at the very least there's that. If they continue to build off of this in the coming years, hopefully attendance will be good enough that it will at the very least cause HHN to feel like they actually have a bit of competition for once. After all, the consumers are ultimately the beneficiary of competition.

I really despise parades (I don't think it's a coincidence that my two least favorite parks in FL are the ones that have them) and this is a major reason why.

So where are Dead Vines and Captain's Revenge located? Tents?

2.JPG
From vids online, it looks like they're both in this warehouse behind Pretzel Kitchen. I wonder what its typical purpose is.

Captain's Revenge enters where the white truck. I'm not sure about Dead Vines.

EDIT: On second look, it appears that that building might be only Captain's Revenge. Dead Vines is possibly in the closed-off section of The Waterway Grille.

Last edited:
Many of these actors are used to working HHN (or some are actually working both this year), so it may take some time to get used to how different the events are from each other, but also, from what i've heard, the event isn't exactly "done" yet.

Many of these actors are used to working HHN (or some are actually working both this year), so it may take some time to get used to how different the events are from each other, but also, from what i've heard, the event isn't exactly "done" yet.
As in set pieces that aren't out? or scares that aren't currently staffed?

So this was just revealed, remember when they talked about the bar above Beneath the Ice where you can activate a scare or two on the people down below? Don't recall them saying you have to pay to do that...

This sounded like a great idea in theory, but the execution I've seen so far in a couple of videos has been pretty lackluster. Seems like a lot of people just walk past the scare and don't show much of a reaction. I don't think this is something I'd bring back next year.

It seemed like both Howl-O-Screams had places where things where not "done." The Forgotten in Tampa had a lot of mannequins that where not even costumed up. It reminded me of how the Jack mannequins where not done in 25 Years of Monsters and Mayhem. The earlier a haunt opens, the more likely it is not complete. This year I believe marks the first time that Howl-O-Scream events open this early. It makes sense, especially for Orlando, why the event isn't exactly "done".

Also, great point about the actors coming from HHN experience.

Edit: sorry for any previous spelling or grammar errors...

Last edited:
Just did all of Howl O Scream (minus the shows) in 3 hours or so. My thoughts from someone who only has done HHN for the last 7 years:

Pros:

The scares we got in the houses felt more organic as there are no barricades and they can get close to you. Also the pacing felt great where we could get at least 85% of the scares, although this can be attributed to how empty the park was.

Scare Zones felt actually scary and less of a photo op for guests to take selfies. The roaming haunts were a nice touch as well and were able to hide well too really scare some. Feels like they had more freedom to try different things to scare people. One person literally climbed through a hedge to get me while I was sitting down. Again this could be helped by how empty the park is compared to HHN.

I liked some of the shirts (and they aren't all black!)

The bars felt like a party atmosphere with "cage dancers" and people in costume. If I was planning on drinking, I would've enjoyed spending time there.

Cons:

Production, or lack thereof. Set designs, facades and costumes all look like they came from Spirit Halloween. If I only saw pictures, I would've assumed it was a local haunt and not a major theme park.

Overall lack of information regarding wait times and directions to the next location. This was my first time actually at SeaWorld and it wasn't exactly clear which way to go unless you were looking at a map. This is only a minor gripe though.

Only 4 houses and 4 scarezones, along with 2 shows, is a hard sell when compared to HHN. The houses are fairly short as well

___

Overall, it's a fairly decent experience considering it's the second night of the first year. We probably won't go back for the remaining of this season, but will check it out in 2022.

Streets are better than anything HHN has done in YEARS so at the very least there's that. If they continue to build off of this in the coming years, hopefully attendance will be good enough that it will at the very least cause HHN to feel like they actually have a bit of competition for once. After all, the consumers are ultimately the beneficiary of competition.

why were the streets better???

Anyone know if parking is free after a certain time?
no i dont think so

why were the streets better???
More scareactors, sliders, longer zones, scareactors get to be way more into their roles, etc. The werewolf zone for example was very long and also immersive with the cast really being able to get into character and form their own identity/play off of each other and actually talk a lot more than you usually see at HHN. I felt the zone conveyed a clear story from beginning to end, which can be hard to do with scarezones.

The biggest downside of the event is there only being four houses, but for only $30 or so, I think there's plenty of value here. If the event can get up to around six houses or even more over the next few years of what will hopefully be growth, than I think this is an event that has a chance to really give HHN a run for it's money as it build brand recognition in the Orlando area. It will never be the top dog, but HHN is not cheap, so for those looking for a spooky time at a more reasonable price with less crowds, I think SeaWorld has a real chance to find their own niche within the market.

Last edited:
scareactors get to be way more into their roles…
This will end up being the major difference between the parks, in both the streets and houses. Universal actively frowns on involved “improv” from characters who are not paid to speak. If you are in a house (and not a barker), you have to lip synch to you trigger or you say nothing. In the streets, they want you growling, shouting, or saying approved lines. As a result, “ownership” of roles can be a challenge. It’s understandable, because the size of the event requires stricter controls to ensure guests have a generally “uniform” experience.

HoS, Busch and SeaWorld have no such qualms. The roles aren’t as strictly written and the performers aren’t as strictly supervised. The actual audition process requires improv, so they can be trusted to fill in the gaps in the character, which generally results in more creative solutions.

Last edited: