Hulu | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Hulu

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That’s for sure. He was retweeting people who were saying they would boycott it without him. :lol:
I get it was Disney's quarterly earnings report yesterday and they wanted to make the company look as good as possible, but I feel like announcing Season 8 of Futurama without Bender, the most iconic character from the show, was nothing short of sloppy.

I feel like Disney was maybe trying to pressure him into signing, but it backfired because Disney's a giant freakin media conglomerate and they can obviously afford to pay.

I’m just kinda like, the time freeze finale was so perfect. Can’t we just let it stay?

Recent Hulu/FX round-up:

The Bear -- a triumph, one of the best shows of the year so far. About an up-and-coming James Beard Award-winning chef who returns home to run his family's small sandwich shop. Hard to define. I guess a "dramedy" -- 30ish-minute episodes that lean more into drama, and dark humor when they do lean into comedy. Not an easy show to watch, it doesn't spoon-feed info, just expects the viewer to pick up subtle clues (it doesn't even explain its odd title until the final episode). But an engaging story told by a believable cast of mostly unknown actors, with perfect editing (episode 7 plays out as a single, continuous 20-minutes scene). And though I've never been to Chicago, it was clearly shot on location, the show is a love letter to the city. Even the dark, grimy parts look inviting. Makes me want to fly out and visit my niece.

The Old Man -- old CIA agent on the run story. Not surprisingly Jeff Bridges and John Lithgow are incredible, elevate what would otherwise be a drawn-out Liam Neeson/Borne movie. The show is definitely a slow burn but the two leads are magnetic on screen so you watch until the inevitable explosion of action. I keep thinking that if they're involved there must be a twist coming to make this show more unique than it seems, but in the meantime a perfectly watchable "Dad show."

Pistol -- a history of the Sex Pistols, told primarily from Steve Jones' perspective. (Maybe to show it's not Sid & Nancy, Sid doesn't even join the band until the end of episode 4 out of 6). Directed by Danny Boyle and it has a lot of that Trainspotting energy. Hasn't really engaged me like I had hoped, but like a lot of FX shows (The Americans, Snowfall) its strength is in creating a lived-in, "real" version of its era. The actor playing Johnny Rotton and Jojen Reed from Game of Thrones as the manager are the stand-outs. Worth a look if you're into the music or Boyle.

Reactions: Nick
This ended up on Hulu instead of the originally announced Disney+ (no surprise). First episode now streaming.

Anyone else enjoying Reboot? It reminds me a lot of 30 rock, tons of jokes, decent plot points, isn’t a 10/10 but still very, very good. Perfectly cast.

Reactions: Nick
I'm assuming this means they will buy out Comcasts share
It's positioning themselves so that they're planning to, but not that they necessarily have to keep Hulu. They can still sell Hulu if they want theoretically (not to Comcast if Comcast doesn't want it since if Comcast says no Disney HAS to pay minimum of $9B), but if Disney wants to sell off the whole 100% of Hulu to someone, they can just regain their content from Hulu after rights contracts expire and rebrand a Hulu tile on Disney+ to what it is internationally, which is branded as Star. The difficulty there is Starz would probably sue them as they have in other countries to no avail so far, but in the US I think Disney would be on much shakier grounds although who knows.

Point is, Disney is going to have to pay Comcast at least $9B (probably more) to get the full 100% and if they wanted to sell the whole 100% to say an investment firm, to Amazon, Apple, etc, ANYONE. They could still do that and just not have Hulu originals on Disney+, but instead have a Star brand tile where you have all the Fox, FX, ABC, Freeform, etc general entertainment content.

I wonder if The Handmaid's Tale and other third party Hulu originals will be on the Disney+ version with Hulu or if it being an MGM show will restrict them from doing that (technically it's Amazon owned now and once enough time passes it'll end up streaming over there anyway).

Reactions: SeventyOne
Looking forward to this on Friday! I really enjoyed Vacation Friends for what it was (which was sort of a cheesy comedic romp of a movie), so i'm glad it got a sequel. It was a really good comedic showcase for John Cena and Lil Rel Howry from what I remember.

Reactions: Doug A.
Will be interesting to see what kind of changes if any this means for Disney's streaming side in terms of how they're run. Hopefully they at least start to partially integrate Hulu into Disney+ soon after like Iger had talked about awhile back. There's no way Hulu goes away though. It is actually one of the closest streamers to being in a healthy place of the major ones.