Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 256 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
We rode in the second to last row just last week and it tossed us around so much my girlfriend had bruises on her ears the next day. They werent loading anyone into the back row of the car. And the music is still terrible thanks to none of the speakers working while the ride is thrashing around on the track.

Color me unimpressed with "New Hulk." It was NOTHING like I was expecting it to be. Quite frankly, I was severely disappointed in it.

I rode it 10 times in 3 days. I would have ridden it more, but the lockers were just too much of a pain to try and acquire. Seriously, you had to stand in a line to get a locker....so you could go stand in a S-L-O-W mowing Express Line. They didn't build enough lockers! And it was the same issue on Hulk, Dragons and Rockit: wait/fight to get a locker so you can get on the ride. Scariest of all, it wasn't even that busy! I can't imagine what a nightmare it must be trying to get a locker during Christmas or summer peak seasons!

The queue and new entrance were a nice improvement...looks much better than it once did, though any semblance of story seemed to be lost besides the generic one provided on the Universal blog. The trains looked great, as did the interior of the launch tube. The actual ride itself? They should have named it "The Incredible Headache." As of this writing, I've been on 569 different coasters, and gone on probably 10,000 coaster rides. I know how to ride a B&M, and I know how to ride The Hulk. For being a new, "smoother" ride, it just beat the hell out of my head. I found it to be absolutely 0% smoother. Furthermore, I didn't even notice the on-ride audio until the final brake run at the end of the ride. About my 3rd or 4th ride I remembered to listen to it during the ride....I had to strain to hear it; the volume was simply too low. I can only imagine how hard it would have been to hear it if they'd kept the classic Hulk "roar" during the ride!

I'm sorry if I sound like a hater, but I just don't get it. Why did they waste the money to tear down and completely rebuild the same old rough ride? Unless there were MAJOR issues with the track or trains, they could have simply redone the queue/launch tube, repainted the ride, added the new entrance/water jets/exterior launch tube lights and "Hulk Roar" sound on launch, skipped the pointless on-ride audio, and saved themselves MILLIONS of dollars. As was mentioned shortly before this post, I also feel like they missed a tremendous opportunity!

The locker issue kills the fun of the coasters for me. I really wish they'd fix that by adding more lockers, or letting people with fastening pockets (like mine) to bypass the lockers/metal detectors and just get on the ride. I honestly feel like I'm going through security every time I get on. It's just not worth the hassle now, so I find myself bypassing some of their best rides.

Whining rant-off.

Last edited:
The reason they can't just allow people with fastening pockets is those same people can easily take things out of those pockets and release them while on the ride.

The reason they can't just allow people with fastening pockets is those same people can easily take things out of those pockets and release them while on the ride.

That's right, I forgot that the IQ of the average modern person is about 12 and that's why we can't have nice things. Since we have to endure cavity searches to get on the coasters at Universal now, how about Universal increase the number of lockers they offer for their coasters? (Not gonna happen, I know. I'm just majorly irked at this. I freaking LOVE Universal, but this is completely unacceptable.)

Reactions: UNIrd
That's right, I forgot that the IQ of the average modern person is about 12 and that's why we can't have nice things. Since we have to endure cavity searches to get on the coasters at Universal now, how about Universal increase the number of lockers they offer for their coasters? (Not gonna happen, I know. I'm just majorly irked at this. I freaking LOVE Universal, but this is completely unacceptable.)
Yeah the dragon challenge locker situation is awful. I sadly haven't made it on Hulk since the refurb so don't know how that is currently.

The new Hulk lockers did increase the number of lockers by making most of them smaller. The whole process should be way faster but I have seen people that lock in their ticket or people that scan then stand in front of the think while someone else empties their locker... I have had to ask people to move multiple times just loitering in front of the scan point. But most of this goes back to people being idiots.

Reactions: anihilnation
interesting take from the new UOAP Facebook page admin.. seeing as this is a Universal employee in a public relations position, can we interpret this as an official viewpoint of UO? (yes I know it says personally, but I don't think this message would go out unapproved)

ss 2016-12-07 at 2.53.49 PM.jpg

interesting take from the new UOAP Facebook page admin.. seeing as this is a Universal employee in a public relations position, can we interpret this as an official viewpoint of UO? (yes I know it says personally, but I don't think this message would go out unapproved)

View attachment 3392
They basically just took the middle. By not saying it is smoother, people can't complain that Universal falsely advertised anything.

Reactions: Joel
I still don't know how I feel about 'new' Hulk.

I rode in August both in the middle and front, audio didn't work in the middle but the rides did feel smoother.

Went back a week or so ago and got rattled around like I never have before (I couldn't even tell you if the audio was working) - my boyfriend has said 'never again' and we used to do Hulk every time on our bi-weekly visits.

When this initially was announced I was thrilled and after I saw it in-person, I was content with the new interior and locker system - and now after a few months, 'meh'.

Believe me, contractors have been pulled over hot coals this week regarding the hulk tube paint issue.
It's not the paint, it's the way the tube was prepped before applying the paints, and a mix up between different shifts/crews apparently.

Night fixes are planned however finding a crane is proving to be an issue...

Believe me, contractors have been pulled over hot coals this week regarding the hulk tube paint issue.
It's not the paint, it's the way the tube was prepped before applying the paints, and a mix up between different shifts/crews apparently.

"What kind of fools are using all the cranes!?!"

"We are sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE*

"Get me more black paint!!!"

"We don't have it sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE* "Who used all the black paint?!?"

"We used the rest for Skull Island"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE* "Who told you to do that?!?!"

"You did sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE*

Reactions: Disneyhead
"What kind of fools are using all the cranes!?!"

"We are sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE*

"Get me more black paint!!!"

"We don't have it sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE* "Who used all the black paint?!?"

"We used the rest for Skull Island"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE* "Who told you to do that?!?!"

"You did sir"

*SLAPS HIM IN THE FACE*
301409.gif

Thanks for the info, this makes complete sense.

I have to say I am a bit dissaponited with the New Hulk. Uni needs to step up their game. Man it looks so nice and everything, but the audio man.... Just terrible. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Bruce Banner deserves his voice in that launch tube lol.

Reactions: Scott W.