Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb | Page 93 | Inside Universal Forums

Incredible Hulk Coaster Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The big question on this refurb is if we get the MCU version of Hulk, what will that mean for the rest of MSHI....the opening of the Hulk queue may give us our first hint!

Agreed.

I think even if MCU isn't coming to IOA, they need to do a bit of work on this part of the park as its a little underwhelming...which is ridiculous considering it has 2 of the greatest rides on the planet!

I'd love to see a tidying up of fascades, maybe an immersive dining option, removing Doctor Doom and opening up that space for a third great attraction. And maybe another cheap spinner just to finish it off nicely.

They could do so much more with this area :)

Agreed.

I think even if MCU isn't coming to IOA, they need to do a bit of work on this part of the park as its a little underwhelming...which is ridiculous considering it has 2 of the greatest rides on the planet!

I'd love to see a tidying up of fascades, maybe an immersive dining option, removing Doctor Doom and opening up that space for a third great attraction. And maybe another cheap spinner just to finish it off nicely.

They could do so much more with this area :)
I agree... I'd appreciate the whole comic book feel being more "timeless," (as opposed to movie versions that may become outdated) if the area was designed to actually be more timeless. Right now it feels like you're just in some mediocre comic book from the 90s.

Nothing amazes me more than roller coaster engineering, and the more you read about it, or think about it, the greater the wow factor.

I'm actually more impressed by how they did rollercoaster engineering 100 years ago...think about all of the work it took to ensure the coaster would actually complete a circuit safely, and then build the rest of the track around it....massive planning work I'd expect.

Reactions: Nick and Teebin
Since the Hulk getting refurbished was at least partially due to its roughness, i'm now curious. What causes a steel coaster to become a headbanger? If trains are maintained properly, and it sounds like Universal took good care of their Hulk trains, what would make it so rough? Was it the rust, does the steel warp over time, do the track joints start separating? A poorly designed coaster that has always been rough is one thing, but the Hulk use to to be a smooth ride, what changed?

Reactions: USO92
Since the Hulk getting refurbished was at least partially due to its roughness, i'm now curious. What causes a steel coaster to become a headbanger? If trains are maintained properly, and it sounds like Universal took good care of their Hulk trains, what would make it so rough? Was it the rust, does the steel warp over time, do the track joints start separating? A poorly designed coaster that has always been rough is one thing, but the Hulk use to to be a smooth ride, what changed?

I always felt that simply changing the OTS restraints would've made a world of difference. There are maaaany coasters still running that are in way worse shape than Hulk was before the rebuild.

Good points. Might Factor in that it's ran more times a year than your average six flags coaster and in what some call extreme weather conditions in Orlando. (Heat). Heat makes a lot of things short on time though. Upgraded building materials should put most issues involving roughness to rest this time around.

Whats next after Hulk? After Kong and Hulk, Sapphire opens, where is the focus??

Last edited by a moderator:

To add to this, I wonder if the Florida heat makes any difference to the steel warping? I know it would be minuscule but B&M are dealing in millimetres for track tolerances.

The obvious fix to a rough coaster would be adding some kind of suspension or shock absorber to the wheel assembly but it would be a maintenance nightmare, add extra friction resulting in more wear and tear plus a slower ride and depending on how it's implemented, you might end up with some kind of bouncing about reaction.

The "roughness" of a coaster is usually down to the spacing between the wheels and the track. The bigger the gap (there shouldn't be one) the rougher the ride. A perfect example of this is the suspended coaster in legoland. Sit on that and look up at the wheel assembly and you'll see huge spacing between the wheel and rails, hence its a very rough coaster.
The very slight wear on the rails combined with wear in the wheels is enough to make a coaster feel rough because the tolerances are so tight.

Reactions: maxairmike
The "roughness" of a coaster is usually down to the spacing between the wheels and the track. The bigger the gap (there shouldn't be one) the rougher the ride. A perfect example of this is the suspended coaster in legoland. Sit on that and look up at the wheel assembly and you'll see huge spacing between the wheel and rails, hence its a very rough coaster.
The very slight wear on the rails combined with wear in the wheels is enough to make a coaster feel rough because the tolerances are so tight.

Rode that for the first time last week and was amazed at the wheel gap on it. Normally you only see that big of a gap on Arrows from the 80s or earlier, and even then its not "normal." I pretty much looked up at the wheel assembly the entire time to watch the ridiculous shuffling.

Fallong, F&F, Volcano Bay, Wet N Wild Replacement, Nintendo, second resort
Deciding on when to take vacation at, Universal Orlando, is like deciding when to by a computer. If you keep waiting to get the fastest PC, you'll never get one : if you keep waiting for Universal to finish their latest big attraction, you'll never end up going. Its not a bad thing, though it is a bummer watching the latest ride under construction, knowing you might not be back for a while to enjoy it. But, then again, it makes for a great reason to come back, and that's definitely good for all of us. They keep building/we'll keep going.

Deciding on when to take vacation at, Universal Orlando, is like deciding when to by a computer. If you keep waiting to get the fastest PC, you'll never get one : if you keep waiting for Universal to finish their latest big attraction, you'll never end up going. Its not a bad thing, though it is a bummer watching the latest ride under construction, knowing you might not be back for a while to enjoy it. But, then again, it makes for a great reason to come back, and that's definitely good for all of us. They keep building/we'll keep going.
Technically every park should be like this...unfinished, always reinventing itself...Universal is just doing it at a full steam ahead rate

Reactions: Cheezbat
But, then again, it makes for a great reason to come back, and that's definitely good for all of us. They keep building/we'll keep going.

That's the idea. They want people walking by the next ride thinking, "Man we need to come back for that!"

What will be interesting is if/when they finally start on Park 3. I have to assume CityWalk or one of the parks will get a preview center since Park 3 construction won't be visible from the current resort

That's why we come twice a year, once in the spring & once in the fall. :)

Reactions: Brervixen