Indie Film Slams SeaWorld | Inside Universal Forums

Indie Film Slams SeaWorld

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
resulting in the violent atypical behavior of Orcas (killer whales) in captivity.

Okay. I know nothing about whales. But it doesn't seem that atypical to me that a killer whale would behave violently...

I would like to see the film to hear their point of view...I however will be visiting Sea World when Antarctica opens..

Sea World is teetering on the edge of circus elephants. Money making based on other mammals being displayed for our entertainment no matter their happiness.

That said... the premise of Seaworld is going to fall apart and be hated over the next 20 years if not sooner, should they not change.

Half the crap people say against Seaworld is based off of opinions sputtered off by some mad "animal rights activist". Seaworld treats their animals better than their own team members. The animals put on "show" are ones that can literally never be put back into the wild, if wildlife is a possibility it is illegal for them to be put on display at all, and they do eventually make it back. What would happen if Seaworld put out a whale they've had since birth into the ocean. It would die. They need to be raised properly, by their own, wild, mother, therefore making it impossible to go back. And Seaworld doesn't just go out and capture wild animals, they rescue them. Winter the dolphin at Clearwater aquarium was rescued by Seaworld. Wasn't it seen a few years ago how PETA used footage from another aquarium with terrible animal care, and claimed that it was Seaworld? They literally go to the parks and throw plastic in the tanks in efforts to try and kill the animals because they believe death is better than captivity. I am a firm supporter of the animal care Seaworld Parks and Entertainment provides, and will continue to support them based on my own factual research. These accidents happen everywhere, but people use it to claim heresy on animal captivity.

People should be grateful to seaworld. If those animals weren't there drawing people in then SeaWorld would not have the money to rescue 10s of thousands of animals.

People should be grateful to seaworld. If those animals weren't there drawing people in then SeaWorld would not have the money to rescue 10s of thousands of animals.

I totally agree. Animal activists never look at the big picture. I did a ton of work for the SPCA here in central Florida and they LOVED sea world because they looked at the big picture of what they did. On top of that Sea world rescued dogs from their shelters for the animal shows. These were animals looking for a good home and they found a great home. They also helped the SPCA with their biggest fundraiser of the year where other parks in the area would not give them the same help. Sea World does so much for all varieties of animals.

What's crazy about PETA is that it is not just Seaworld type parks that get them riled up, it's also zoos and aquariums as well. They really don't seem to grasp that much of the work put into these types of places is for conservation and animal preservation. Sure, only just a few decades ago, zoos were more concerned with exhibition and entertainment, but they have evolved. These places are much more concerned with research and enrichment. The only way to do this type of research is to charge the general public to view and get educated on these creatures. I am actually working on my final grad school project on this very issue. It is fascinating the amount of misinformation these people spew. Most of the animals around me, including a lot of sea life, is rescued and brought to the living museums, zoos, and aquariums for rehabilitation. In fact, all of the animals at our living museum, which holds some of Virginia's rarest animals, are rescue animals. These animals were injured in the wild and brought to this sanctuary where they can live their lives without fear. It gets me so angry watching and reading crap like that.

What's crazy about PETA is that it is not just Seaworld type parks that get them riled up, it's also zoos and aquariums as well. They really don't seem to grasp that much of the work put into these types of places is for conservation and animal preservation. Sure, only just a few decades ago, zoos were more concerned with exhibition and entertainment, but they have evolved. These places are much more concerned with research and enrichment. The only way to do this type of research is to charge the general public to view and get educated on these creatures. I am actually working on my final grad school project on this very issue. It is fascinating the amount of misinformation these people spew. Most of the animals around me, including a lot of sea life, is rescued and brought to the living museums, zoos, and aquariums for rehabilitation. In fact, all of the animals at our living museum, which holds some of Virginia's rarest animals, are rescue animals. These animals were injured in the wild and brought to this sanctuary where they can live their lives without fear. It gets me so angry watching and reading crap like that.

I think this happens with any group passionate about one issue. You see it with the NRA, where they get so caught up in "their" message they don't see the facts or what mainstream America wants. The GP love Sea World and most of them know they do good work. If you took a poll of people who have visited Sea World on various topics like conservation and how they treat their animals, you would see most people would be in favor of Sea World.

I think it is human nature to get so caught up with something you forget logic or reality. Smack me if I am ever like that :)

Keep in mind PETA knows that these animals can not be released into the wild, they want them killed.

PETA is also an extremest organization that supports terrorism. Do not give them any money, or you would be supporting this terrorism.

Maybe they just choose a good name, because most People [are] for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. But they get most of their funding and donations from people that do not fully understand what they are actually all about. If you own pets PETA believes you are evil, and your pets should be killed. If you eat meat or wear animal byproducts (leather shoes) PETA believes you are evil.

But if most people knew what PETA was actually about they would believe PETA is evil. Like I said I love animals, the point being if your going to donate money make sure it is with an organization that actually does help.

^^^

This is really true. I tend to donate money to organizations I have volunteered for or benefited from that organization. You tend to know more about them once you volunteer for them or if you ever received services from them. Blindly donating money many times is giving money to people in the end that may not use it how you really want it used. PETA wanting to kill animals reminds me of the pro-life organizations that bombed clinics that perform abortions. Irony at its best :)

Instead of resurrecting a three year old thread, I figured this would fit here as well.

Judge: SeaWorld should have complied with OSHA safety requirements
Despite court rulings, SeaWorld trainers remain in close contact with killer whales

ORLANDO, Fla. -
A federal judge believes SeaWorld had a duty to begin implementing new safety improvements required by workplace safety regulators last July, even while the theme park was fighting the Occupational Safety and Health Administration in court.

Meanwhile, Local 6 has learned SeaWorld trainers continue to have extremely close physical contact with the killer whales, despite new OSHA requirements that trainers must remain behind a barrier when interacting with the animals during performances.

Read More

Absolutely ridiculous. As much as the shows are entertainment, they're also educational and inspiring. Had it not been for spending a few days at SeaWorld Ohio each year growing up and watching the shows there and seeing these animals how they're presented, I don't think I would have quite the same interest and appreciation that I do today. What OSHA wants to do would basically mean the end of any kind of show presentation and would reduce activity to simply swimming around in a tank, removing a large chunk of their physical activity as well. Plus, these shows and whales are part of a larger research and conservation program, and removing trainer interaction would impact how and how much we learn about them. If OSHA is strictly concerned about the public-facing show interactions, then they clearly have no point or reason beyond public grandstanding and need to butt out.

Ok then. Well let's install barriers between lanes, no more circuses because an elephant could step on someone, no more close up alligator tours, or any other dangerous act. This is ridiculous, stuff happens sometimes! I feel like Seaworld is only being targeted because of how people feel of them keeping the animals in enclosures.

OSHA serves a purpose and they don't go around trying to fine people, they find unsafe work conditions for you! The employee. If companies don't improve conditions that's when they get fined. They hit big companies where it hurts.

The battle that SeaWorld is in is unfortunate and I do think they could continue running shows the same way they always have. Like knokout said, things happen sometimes.

OSHA serves a purpose and they don't go around trying to fine people, they find unsafe work conditions for you! The employee. If companies don't improve conditions that's when they get fined. They hit big companies where it hurts.

The battle that SeaWorld is in is unfortunate and I do think they could continue running shows the same way they always have. Like knokout said, things happen sometimes.

Yeah sure they work for you, as someone with twenty five years in construction, I can tell you what jerks they are. No fines NO OSHA.

Last edited:
Sooo...would it really be that detrimentle for Sea World to cut the Shamu show and build a giant aquarium the size of Atlanta's? Seeing as how they are starting to get competitive with new rides I could see them still being able to thrive..Shamu is a staple, but is the Shamu show really holding the park together?

Although PETA would still complain about the parks..I meant for the general population that disagrees with trainers and killer whales together

Sooo...would it really be that detrimentle for Sea World to cut the Shamu show and build a giant aquarium the size of Atlanta's? Seeing as how they are starting to get competitive with new rides I could see them still being able to thrive..Shamu is a staple, but is the Shamu show really holding the park together?

Although PETA would still complain about the parks..I meant for the general population that disagrees with trainers and killer whales together

I think they would loose a lot of what makes the whales so popular, the show already IMO suffers for the lack of interaction.

The Shamu show is like the Cinderella Castle of SeaWorld. Its the basis for the park.

I however don't enjoy One Ocean. They try to make it into a dramatic theatrical show and it just doesn't work for me.

Seaworld is targeted because it is a HUGE company. PETA wants them to give them a donation and then boiw down and kiss there A$$S
PETA went after KFC for Killing Chickens, Yep really. PETA like most groups want you to accept there opinion only they are right you are wrong. If animals are being tortured are hurt yes step in But to Peta if you have a pet you are controlling it and it should have rights like yours.