Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

IOA Accidents

Wifey ended up fracturing her tailbone on V1 Dudley back when we were in our teens. She still refuses to go on it, even after it was changed and safety'd. Man that original ride was a rush though, no restraints, and for the first few months those rails inside the log weren't even there to hold on to. It's surprising to think that such a violent ride didn't have anything more serious happen in the V1 version.
I forgot about that, there was what little holes or something that you could almost use to hold onto?

The ride vehicles on Ripsaw Falls have always had the silver grab rails that run the length of the log on the inside. They've been there since Day 1.

I was always amazed at the sheer amount of people who jumped out of the ride vehicles at MiB back when I worked there. Back in the seatbelt days. How do you even arrive at that decision? I'm honestly surprised more people weren't hurt. The worst offenders were at Rock the Universe, iirc. Exciting night to be in the tower rotation though.

Wifey ended up fracturing her tailbone on V1 Dudley back when we were in our teens. She still refuses to go on it, even after it was changed and safety'd. Man that original ride was a rush though, no restraints, and for the first few months those rails inside the log weren't even there to hold on to. It's surprising to think that such a violent ride didn't have anything more serious happen in the V1 version.

I almost broke my mum's nose on it the first time we rode. I had a mini freak out on the drop and elbowed her straight in the nose, blood every where. I was traumatised by it. I didn't even know it had happened until we were getting out the boats.

Orlando Sentinel heard that people want to know and has given us this:

Database: Florida theme park injuries and deaths - Orlando Sentinel
So to summarize: 13 people died on Disney attractions and FJ gives people motion sickness.

This must have been a tough decision for the Sentinel to pick a headline, on one hand you mention people dieing on attractions, which is always a good bet to grab attention or on the other you can put Harry Potter in the title which is probably a popular search term right now with the new book and play.

I was always amazed at the sheer amount of people who jumped out of the ride vehicles at MiB back when I worked there. Back in the seatbelt days. How do you even arrive at that decision? I'm honestly surprised more people weren't hurt. The worst offenders were at Rock the Universe, iirc. Exciting night to be in the tower rotation though.

First trip to Universal MIB broke when we were on it. The lap restraint had my daughter flipping out. The whole being trapped in that building sent her into major drama llama time. 4 years later, she finally agreed try it again this week. Not, that I suggest drama Llama teenagers are a reason to go back to a faulty restraint.

First trip to Universal MIB broke when we were on it. The lap restraint had my daughter flipping out. The whole being trapped in that building sent her into major drama llama time. 4 years later, she finally agreed try it again this week. Not, that I suggest drama Llama teenagers are a reason to go back to a faulty restraint.

Were you stuck with the mini individual lapbars, or was it back in the "one big lapbar" days? I could see someone becoming uncomfortable quickly being stuck in the current lapbars. They don't give you much room to wiggle around. The one big lapbar/seatbelt combo from my day was easier for people to escape from. Did she like the ride this time around? Hopefully you didn't get stuck!

Oh, and I was talking like, people jumping while the ride was operating. I can totally see being stopped/stuck and wanting out. But while the vehicles are moving, and the animation is live? It's so dangerous, I just can't imagine ever thinking that it would be okay to do that.

Were you stuck with the mini individual lapbars, or was it back in the "one big lapbar" days? I could see someone becoming uncomfortable quickly being stuck in the current lapbars. They don't give you much room to wiggle around. The one big lapbar/seatbelt combo from my day was easier for people to escape from. Did she like the ride this time around? Hopefully you didn't get stuck!

Oh, and I was talking like, people jumping while the ride was operating. I can totally see being stopped/stuck and wanting out. But while the vehicles are moving, and the animation is live? It's so dangerous, I just can't imagine ever thinking that it would be okay to do that.

It was individual lap bars IIRC, it was 3 years ago.
We arrive in the parks Tuesday-Thursday, so we will see how it goes this time. It's a fun ride, but last year she was very casual about not wanting to go on it again.
It does seem like most ride accidents are caused by rider error, like trying to get out of a moving car, or taking a restraint off somehow.

Hmm... perhaps it is the difference in attendance numbers. Sadly, that may be about to change but of course I certainly hope not.
Disney has a history of cutting corners for safety though..Look at the Thunder Mountain derailment..Not a product of attendance

Busch and Sea World have a pretty good track record as well..I think at the end of the day Disney has the PR power to survive such a thing as a death at the park..Sea World, Universal and everyone else do not..

Saw a little kid almost lose an arm two years ago in little mermaid. He dropped something while unloading and it fell under the rvs. He started reaching under and right before the next car came someone yanked him away.

So to summarize: 13 people died on Disney attractions and FJ gives people motion sickness.

This must have been a tough decision for the Sentinel to pick a headline, on one hand you mention people dieing on attractions, which is always a good bet to grab attention or on the other you can put Harry Potter in the title which is probably a popular search term right now with the new book and play.

In all fairness, some of those 13 people have nothing to do with the ride. I mean someone had an issue with Small World. Basically they had a heart attack and they would have had that anywhere. Another one was terminally ill and passed away at some point after riding space mountain. These statistics are very odd.

Don't forget the british guy who lost his hands on Pirates of The Carribean. Was his fault for not keeping his hand inside vehicle but shows problem with low clearances