Is Spielberg contract over with Universal Parks & Resorts? | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Is Spielberg contract over with Universal Parks & Resorts?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yes we will see but i think it is a good thing that spielberg wants ET Adventure still around hopefully still open when the new park comes in the 2020's because I really do think ET sticking around could point to a sign that classic Uni attractions could still exist in this new generation of future universal rides at parks worldwide. Like jaws and back to the future even ghostbusters spooktacular.

Yes we will see but i think it is a good thing that spielberg wants ET Adventure still around hopefully still open when the new park comes in the 2020's because I really do think ET sticking around could point to a sign that classic Uni attractions could still exist in this new generation of future universal rides at parks worldwide. Like jaws and back to the future even ghostbusters spooktacular.
Please stop. We understand that you want closed rides based on outdated IPs to return, but there's no reasonable justification to believe it will happen and it's basically the only thing you post. Repeating it ad nauseum isn't going to convince anyone.

Please stop. We understand that you want closed rides based on outdated IPs to return, but there's no reasonable justification to believe it will happen and it's basically the only thing you post. Repeating it ad nauseum isn't going to convince anyone.

Is there a particular reason you felt the need to be so condescending in this response?

Is there a particular reason you felt the need to be so condescending in this response?
I'm annoyed at seeing the same general posts dozens of times from one poster over the last couple of months.
The topic has been addressed. Reasons stated. It hasn't stopped.

I'm annoyed at seeing the same general posts dozens of times from one poster over the last couple of months.
The topic has been addressed. Reasons stated. It hasn't stopped.

There is an ignore feature on these boards. You could also address your problems with the poster in a private message, rather than publicly chewing them out for a perspective you don't like.

ETA: I'm not trying to be confrontational or come off like a jerk. I just don't see the huge offense in what the poster was doing. Perhaps because I'm sympathetic to the desire expressed in the comment in question, but even so.

We understand that you are a classic universal attractions hater and probably loves 3d based screened attractions and is glad kongfrontation is home. Nothing spielberg has done if it is old isn't outdated how dare you say that about one of the best hollywood directors of all time? I guess that means ET is outdated ummmm excuse me Mr Legacy why is it still open?

We understand that you are a classic universal attractions hater and probably loves 3d based screened attractions and is glad kongfrontation is home. Nothing spielberg has done if it is old isn't outdated how dare you say that about one of the best hollywood directors of all time? I guess that means ET is outdated ummmm excuse me Mr Legacy why is it still open?
Not what I get from this and I understand both sides here (I think) .
Maybe they would like to bring these back but Jaws was insanely expensive and BTTF will not work without reshooting and with the actors condition it will not happen.
No need to get nasty but it is beating a dead horse to continue with this line, it is wishful thinking and should be in blue sky thread

Last edited:
See, this is exactly the problem. You assume that my explanations (based on reason) are indicative of my opinions toward attractions. And you're wrong.

I MISS Kongfrontation immensely. Same with Jaws and BttF. I think Reign of Kong, despite being true to the current (read - relevant) presentation of the character, is a pale replacement. But when I say the IPs are dated, irrelevant, and unlikely to come back, I'm saying it objectively. I argue it despite what I think would be cool. Because despite thinking that bringing them back would be cool, I also think it would be a horrible business decision.

BttF is dated. Period. Full stop. It's "future" was three years ago. Marty is in his mid-fifties. Doc Brown is near 80. If they reprise their roles, it'll be voice-only.

Jaws is dated. Period. Full stop. Despite its film-making success, the horror-filled mystique of the character is gone. Sharks have become kitchy and safe. We have Shark Week. We have Sharknado. A thirty year old film about a shark doesn't carry weight anymore.

And yeah. ET is dated too. Films become dated. That doesn't mean I want the ride to leave. It means I understand why it might (arguably should).

The problem with the "bring back the classic rides" stance is that it's caked with blinded nostalgia without consideration of what a "new" version of the ride would entail. A "modern" Jaws would likely be a less eventful Fast and Furious/Reign of Kong ("Screens are more reliable than submerged animatronics"). A "modern" BttF would be Rockin' Roller Coaster/GotG ("Coasters have a high ROI"). You wouldn't get the rides you had. You would get rides based on your favorite IPs with modern sensibilities. And deep down, that's not what is wanted.

The rides Universal closed were great. No doubt. But Universal will NOT bring back the rides you remember. Kong is proof. And the likelihood is that whatever bastardized modern version they come up with will suck compared to memories.

Last edited:
See, this exactly the problem. You assume that my explanations (based on reason) are indicative of my opinions toward attractions. And you're wrong.

I MISS Kongfrontation immensely. Same with Jaws and BttF. I think Reign of Kong, despite being true to the current (read - relevant) presentation of the character, is a pale replacement. But when I say the IPs are dated, irrelevant, and unlikely to come back, I'm saying it objectively. I argue it despite what I think would be cool. Because despite thinking that bringing them back would be cool, I also think it would be a horrible business decision.

BttF is dated. Period. Full stop. It's "future" was three years ago. Marty is in his mid-fifties. Doc Brown is near 80. If they reprise their roles, it'll be voice-only.

Jaws is dated. Period. Full stops. Despite its film-making success, the horror-filled mystique of the character is gone. Sharks have become kitchy and safe. We have Shark Week. We have Sharknado. A thirty year old film about a shark doesn't carry weight anymore.

And yeah. ET is dated too. Films become dated. That doesn't mean I want the ride to leave. It means I understand why it might (arguably should).

The problem with the "bring back the classic rides" stance is that it's caked with blinded nostalgia without consideration of what a "new" version of the ride would entail. A "modern" Jaws would likely be a less eventful Fast and Furious/Reign of Kong ("Screens are more reliable than submerged animatronics"). A "modern" BttF would be Rockin' Roller Coaster/GotG ("Coasters have a high ROI"). You wouldn't get the rides you had. You would get rides based on your favorite IPs with modern sensibilities. And deep down, that's not what is wanted.

The rides Universal closed were great. No doubt. But Universal will NOT bring back the rides you remember. Kong is proof. And the likelihood that whatever bastardized modern version they come up with will suck compared to memories.

A lot of it does come down to "you can't go home anymore." Our memories of KONGfrontation, Jaws, Back to the Future, and others have been deified through rose-colored glasses. The attractions were objectively excellent for their time, and nothing Universal can produce with the same IP will live up to the idea of the original (which exceeded the actual quality of the past attraction) that persists in your head.

personally I like new Kong more than old, and don’t think they could make a worse BTTF attraction if they tried, but there’s no way they can make a better Jaws ride.

I’d love a new ride for all the old classics...but realistically it’s never gonna happen.

Reactions: Disneyhead
personally I like new Kong more than old, and don’t think they could make a worse BTTF attraction if they tried, but there’s no way they can make a better Jaws ride.

I’d love a new ride for all the old classics...but realistically it’s never gonna happen.

I'd kill for a "Great Movie Ride," Universal edition (Jaws, ET [if/when it goes], Back to the Future, etc.), even if it was in the form of a simulator... but I get that isn't really something that'll realistically happen unless it's a blank slate/new park.

I'd kill for a "Great Movie Ride," Universal edition (Jaws, ET [if/when it goes], Back to the Future, etc.), even if it was in the form of a simulator... but I get that isn't really something that'll realistically happen unless it's a blank slate/new park.

Personally I think it’d be the perfect kind of thing to replace Shrek and the Hello Kitty Complex in a redone entrance area.

It’ll never happen, but that’s my blue sky dream

Yeah, I think the front of the park would be ideal spot for this attraction. This could be USF's answer to Hollywood's backlot tour complete with a ride vehicle that looks like one of the tram cars. It could serve as a reminder of the company's past and make for a good start to the rest of the day at the park. Oh, to dream...

The Universal Great Movie Ride would be an appropriate fit for the front of the park, more so than it ever was at DHS/MGM. Sadly, that type of attraction probably doesn't resonate with audiences in 2018 plus.

Reactions: Ridgepole