January Visit | Inside Universal Forums

January Visit

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 18, 2012
Hi all - for the first time in 13 years, I will be visiting UOR. My friends and I will be going the weekend after MLK Day in January 2015, primarily to check out HP World. Also excited about seeing the new Simpsons area.

Does anyone have any tips on travelling in January? What will the weather be like? What rides will be down?

Weather is a complete crapshoot lol. It could be beautiful, it could be freezing. One thing is for sure, it wont be 100 degrees with 200% humidity like in the summers here so that is always nice.

As far as ride closures, its rumored that Twister will be closed for good by then but this is not confirmed. Typically at least one water ride is closed at this time for annual maintenance in IOA, I would guess Popeye...they may have two closed, but considering its MLK weekend they may only try to have 1 down. Other rides are subject to annual refurbishments during the off-season but this schedule is not set in stone yet as far as I know.

Also, even though January is typically verg slow, MLK weekend can bring out lots of locals and weekend-trippers...dont expect lowest-of-the-low crowds. That being said, you still should be fine and the park will not be completely slammed.

Have a great trip, and feel free to ask anymore questions!

Thanks, Guy. I am actually going the weekend after MLK Day to avoid any larger crowds.

Just hope the major rides aren't down for a refurb...

^ooh my bad, skipped over that part. In that case crowds should be very low, but you run into a greater chance of major water rides being down. Although to be honest, you dont really want to ride them in January weather anyway because they all get you pretty soaked.