JOKER Folie à Deux | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

JOKER Folie à Deux

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It could still work out.

But I hope the logicalness of the musical aspect makes sense.

No idea if it’s true but there was a rumor that the reason for the film being a musical was because that is how Harley sees the world due to her mental illness. Crazy thought but it just might work.
That could work but it sounds a little too much like what Sia tried a few years back.

Cover songs were fine in Moulin Rouge-- it was fine, made money, and people love it. This could go the same way...
Except that was actually a good movie, then turned into a successful (& impressive) Broadway Musical..

Because Gaga was cast as Harley, I expected original songs. The Chicago-style musical numbers via her demented brain makes sense. But cover songs just comes across as misuse of talent & lazy. Sure I could see cover songs being applied that relate to the specific context, scene & whatnot. It just feels like a wasted opportunity with casting.

I don’t think cover songs in a film are the problem here. Haha.

While I think Phoenix acted his ass off, JOKER was one of the few movies I almost walked out of.
I think Joker and Aquaman and Capt Marvel are the film equivalent of "Disco Duck," Came out at the height of superhero mania, were just unique enough to catch a buzz and ride that wave, but had no hope of repeating that success just a few years post-Endgame.

That said, Aquaman 2 and The Marvels at least tried to play the game. This feels like knowing you're going to lose 90% of your box office so might as well do something super weird with house money simply because you can.

This feels like knowing you're going to lose 90% of your box office so might as well do something super weird with house money simply because you can.
trump donald GIF

...reckless with money is on brand..

• Haha
Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm really unsure if this will catch on or not at the box office. For some reason, with how weird the first film was, I don't know if I want to count this one out entirely just yet. Definitely won't be Dune or Barbieheimer or anything, but I can see it making a decent splash with the right marketing.

Prediction: This trailer is going to either get you extremely hyped or make you have no interest. I don't expect a bad movie. I don't think Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips would've signed on to do a sequel (nor do I think that Gaga would've joined the cast) if the script wasn't brilliant.

Reactions: Grabnar
My expectations are very very low. I had zero interest in the first movie & still don't. Gaga was kinda the only selling point for me on this one, but even so, I'm not hyped.

Prediction: This trailer is going to either get you extremely hyped or make you have no interest. I don't expect a bad movie. I don't think Joaquin Phoenix and Todd Phillips would've signed on to do a sequel (nor do I think that Gaga would've joined the cast) if the script wasn't brilliant.

I do agree with most of this, except for Todd Phillips being a good barometer on if a script is good or not as the Hangover sequels say otherwise.

I do agree with most of this, except for Todd Phillips being a good barometer on if a script is good or not as the Hangover sequels say otherwise.
I'm not saying Todd Phillips = great script. However, I also don't think Phoenix would've even agreed to a sequel if there wasn't something unique planned here worth diving back into the role for. Gaga has also been very picky about what she does and has been very good in everything she does so I feel like on paper at least this had to have sounded appealing to get her to sign on.

Reactions: youhow2
It looks like Joker's La La Land. :lmao: I actually just saw the original for the first time last night and I thought the music played a surprisingly big role. This is a more natural progression than I expected it to be, so confused as to why I've seen so much pushback from "fans."

Reactions: youhow2 and Nick
My only concern is that most of the movie takes place within the asylum and in his head. I think the best parts of the original was when he was in reality and it showcased just how insane he really was.

Doesn’t look good in my opinion. Harley has a very clear origin story. She is Joker’s psychologist. Why would they discard that and instead choose to go the least interesting route possible. I was looking forward to this…not anymore.

It looks like Joker's La La Land. :lmao: I actually just saw the original for the first time last night and I thought the music played a surprisingly big role. This is a more natural progression than I expected it to be, so confused as to why I've seen so much pushback from "fans."
This looks really good to me tbh. I think a lot of people haven't watched Joker since the theater because you're right on that music plays a big role in that film. Combine that with things taking place in his head too and boom. He's a star that people adore. That's all he wants is to be adored instead of being made fun of.

Reactions: Nico