Jordan Peele's Nope | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Jordan Peele's Nope

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Listen I'm not saying it'd be a good idea to make this an entire HHN house, but I am saying that after this movie, I'll flip my s--- if a chimp scareactor so much as breathes in the same room as me.
Orlando yeah. Hollywood most likely not since the Jupiter’s Claim set is in the backlot, and most likely going to be used for Terror Tram.

I think Peele is three for three. NOPE takes some time to set up the story and characters. The mystery of what's happening at the ranch really drives the story to the midway point and keeps you wondering how all the seemingly separate threads are related to each other.

However, we finally get the reveal of what the UFO (UAP) is at the Star Lasso Experience which turns out to be one of the most horrific scenes I think I've seen in years. Just the pure confusion, terror, and helplessness of the situation as 40 people are taken by the creature alive and we can hear their screams as it flies overhead. That whole middle section after the abduction, where it then goes to the ranch and excretes all the non-digestible bits is some of the scariest, most dread-filled scenes when you realize there's a super predator stalking the skies.

I love how after that realization, most of the horror elements are dropped in favor of trying to bait the creature so they can get undeniable evidence of it. I also love the design of the creature when it begins to unfurl and assert its dominance. I'll never look at clouds the same way again.

This is the one I’m most “scared” of, same with my buddy, so we’re nervous lol before we go see it. People I know (who adore any horror) seem to love it.

Mind you, we all grew up with Key and Peele so we’ll forever have a bias towards the director.

This is the one I’m most “scared” of, same with my buddy, so we’re nervous lol before we go see it. People I know (who adore any horror) seem to love it.

Mind you, we all grew up with Key and Peele so we’ll forever have a bias towards the director.

While there are horror elements, I'd classify this more along sci-fi. It's Kubrick meets Speilberg, IMO.

So I thought the movie was fine, but the more I read about it, the more I start to like it more. Makes me wanna go back for a 2nd viewing. Not as good as Get Out, but definitely better than Us.
Beat for beat same as my reaction, except I’d flip around Us and Get Out.

I was so distracted by THAT scene and how it didn’t really have a satisfying conclusion that I missed the bigger picture of the movie. Will be an interesting rewatch.

Beat for beat same as my reaction, except I’d flip around Us and Get Out.

I was so distracted by THAT scene and how it didn’t really have a satisfying conclusion that I missed the bigger picture of the movie. Will be an interesting rewatch.

Yeah, I think I know which one. :lol:

I think another problem was I was expecting a twist, so I was spending my time trying to outsmart and guess what the twist was instead of just watching the film. Next time, I get to enjoy the ride.

Spoiler-free takeway after seeing it in IMAX: I thought it was fine. I enjoyed this maybe a little more than Us but Get Out still remains at the top for the best Jordan Peele film. There were some things I enjoyed, including The dynamic between Kiki Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya. Also great to see Steven Yeun in it. I kinda left the film overall confused. I felt like I was watching two completely different movies.

The film played the horror aspects very well. The digestion scene made me feel the claustrophobia and hopelessness and watching that in IMAX really sold that feel. Hearing the screams of terror of those people inside the creature only for it to be suddenly stopped and see all that blood come out was also unnerving. The Gordy incident scene in isolation also had some great horror aspects to it, but therein lies my biggest issue with the movie.

Now it didn't take me until I watched a couple of spoiler reviews for the movie to figure out what Peele was going for between Gordy and the "ship" (Which was the alien itself which I thought was pretty cool). I later understood from those videos that Jupe thought he could tame the animal that was the alien after thinking he could tame Gordy after that massacre. It makes more sense after watching the movie and those reviews, but I walked out of the theater confused like WTH is up with that monkey!? Why did they act like they were building up to something really big with it only to find it kind of irrelevant to the story?

I hear the argument that Gordy was a needed link to show how Jupe could train the creature, but I feel like the movie would've been just fine without the whole Gordy sidestory. In fact, I think this movie would've been better off without the Gordy subplot. I'm sorry, but while I thought the horror elements involving Gordy were well done, the whole Gordy arc should've been its own movie. It made the movie a little "all-over-the-place" and tried to cram two movies into one.
Again, the horror aspects were played well, the character dynamics and personalities were great. I just felt like Peele bit off more than he could chew with the story and probably put more in there than he should have. Everyone else seems to love it so I'm probably in the minority on this one.

Also I saw it at Universal Hollywood CityWalk's IMAX screen which is the best in town. The screen ratio was weird as there would be some shots with full IMAX and 2/3s of the movie with widescreen frame ratio. Kinda bothered me a little bit but oh well.

Reactions: ghostsarejerks
Spoiler-free takeway after seeing it in IMAX: I thought it was fine. I enjoyed this maybe a little more than Us but Get Out still remains at the top for the best Jordan Peele film. There were some things I enjoyed, including The dynamic between Kiki Palmer and Daniel Kaluuya. Also great to see Steven Yeun in it. I kinda left the film overall confused. I felt like I was watching two completely different movies.

The film played the horror aspects very well. The digestion scene made me feel the claustrophobia and hopelessness and watching that in IMAX really sold that feel. Hearing the screams of terror of those people inside the creature only for it to be suddenly stopped and see all that blood come out was also unnerving. The Gordy incident scene in isolation also had some great horror aspects to it, but therein lies my biggest issue with the movie.

Now it didn't take me until I watched a couple of spoiler reviews for the movie to figure out what Peele was going for between Gordy and the "ship" (Which was the alien itself which I thought was pretty cool). I later understood from those videos that Jupe thought he could tame the animal that was the alien after thinking he could tame Gordy after that massacre. It makes more sense after watching the movie and those reviews, but I walked out of the theater confused like WTH is up with that monkey!? Why did they act like they were building up to something really big with it only to find it kind of irrelevant to the story?

I hear the argument that Gordy was a needed link to show how Jupe could train the creature, but I feel like the movie would've been just fine without the whole Gordy sidestory. In fact, I think this movie would've been better off without the Gordy subplot. I'm sorry, but while I thought the horror elements involving Gordy were well done, the whole Gordy arc should've been its own movie. It made the movie a little "all-over-the-place" and tried to cram two movies into one.
Again, the horror aspects were played well, the character dynamics and personalities were great. I just felt like Peele bit off more than he could chew with the story and probably put more in there than he should have. Everyone else seems to love it so I'm probably in the minority on this one.

Also I saw it at Universal Hollywood CityWalk's IMAX screen which is the best in town. The screen ratio was weird as there would be some shots with full IMAX and 2/3s of the movie with widescreen frame ratio. Kinda bothered me a little bit but oh well.
Fun fact: the scenes with Gordy and the scenes with the UAP were both filmed with the IMAX camera. The further emphasize that connection.

Reactions: rageofthegods

The incident that Gordy is based off is one of the scariest stories I’ve ever heard, so it was definitely effective for me. I don’t know for the life of me why people think chimps are cute.

The incident that Gordy is based off is one of the scariest stories I’ve ever heard, so it was definitely effective for me. I don’t know for the life of me why people think chimps are cute.
I was aware of chimp incidents, but this movie has completely solidified for me that chimps are terrifying. If I see one I’m walking briskly away. LOL

I still feel like the whole arc with Gordy should’ve been it’s own movie. Imagine how cool it would’ve been to have a Gordy movie then reveal that Nope is a sequel to Gordy. Kinda similar to how you found out Split was a sequel to Unbreakable.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I was entertained but the movie didn't make sense to me. The whole sub plot and ape backstory was more terrifying and riveting than the main story. But ultimately it was a waste of time because it didn't mean anything to the plot but I wanted to watch that movie instead of the one we got. Character motivations made no sense and the whole jellyfish look at the end was out of left field. I haven't seen Peele's other movies, but this didn't make me interested. I don't get the hype of this movie. Keke Palmer was a star though!!!

Reactions: Freak
Just back from the theater and wow, what an awesome time. Jordan Peele solidifies himself as one of the premier voices of horror in cinematic history, IMO. If there is any justice in this world (and there's certainly a shortage of that these days), Peele will continue to return as a master of smart, deep, thought provoking and funny as all hell fright fests. Nope is everything I could want in a horror film. Supreme, beautiful direction, stunning visuals, a scary through sound score, superb acting cast and a story that connects so damn well while still serving up more than it's fair share of twists and turns.

It takes its time to develop these characters, show where their bonds are and set the lore but once the chess board is set, boy oh boy do we get zooming through a cornucopia of tense, harrowing scenes before shuttling through a romping, glorious finale set piece topped off with a satisfying emotional ending.

I absolutely adore the twist on Peele's aliens being the "thing" that actually look like ships. What a damn clever spin when everyone and their mother can visualize the "little green men" trope now. I love the thematic links between the Gordy show, the Star Lasso Experience and the Haywood Hollywood Horses. I love that the two main characters are siblings. I love how absolutely chaotic and brutal moments of this film feel. I love just about every bit of Nope!

So I thought the movie was fine, but the more I read about it, the more I start to like it more. Makes me wanna go back for a 2nd viewing. Not as good as Get Out, but definitely better than Us.
These are basically my thoughts even though I think I liked it a little more than you did.

I was entertained but the movie didn't make sense to me. The whole sub plot and ape backstory was more terrifying and riveting than the main story. But ultimately it was a waste of time because it didn't mean anything to the plot but I wanted to watch that movie instead of the one we got. Character motivations made no sense and the whole jellyfish look at the end was out of left field. I haven't seen Peele's other movies, but this didn't make me interested. I don't get the hype of this movie. Keke Palmer was a star though!!!
We have polar opposite reactions to this movie lol. I loved it and loved the connection between those stories you mentioned. Without getting into spoilers they play together really well if you think about it even if the scenes are aesthetically pretty different. But I absolutely cannot stand Palmer. I first caught her on her Nick show when I was younger and thought she was obnoxious then and not much has changed. If this was a typical slasher her character would be one we would be pulling for to get axed :grin:

Went into the movie with no expectations and after hearing lots of mixed reviews, I have to say this is my favorite of Peele's films. That being said - I mean no disrespect by this - Peele has yet to completely blow me away to a point I find him a little overrated. I liked Get Out, very much disliked Us, but thoroughly enjoyed Nope. It is (IMO) his darkest film and the abduction sequence was one of the coolest moments in horror mainstream media I've seen in a long time; probably the most uncomfortable I have felt since Hereditary. My friend did have an opinion I must reiterate though - the film has a great 1-2 punch, but never went for the knockout. There is definitely something missing about this movie that doesn't let me separate it on a class above others.

Strangely enough, I find a lot of this movie's thematic elements to have a lot of parallels to Scream 4 and it really makes me curious how Peele considers Carpenter as his favorite horror director when time and time again I see heavy influences from Craven across all his major motion pictures. That said, I felt those thematic elements hit harder here.

My main dislikes though come from Peele's emphasis on ensuring that the audience look for a deeper meaning behind the movie, which while yes, is the root of horror, also does not need to be necessary in order to make his movies thought provoking or all the more effective. Drawing back to Scream 4, I believe Craven hits it hard there - examining whether revisiting our past traumas are worth the fear if we're doomed to repeat the mistakes that lead up to them, such as a town so fixated on celebrating a terrible culture that is the only reason for Woodsboro being famous - whereas Peele is not subtle about this message and does not know where to take the story after emphasizing this message.

Keke Palmer is a standout as was Kaluuya, who while a bit more monotone, has more emotion in his body language's ability to act and restrain his character which contrasts Palmer's happy-go-lucky attitude.

A very interesting movie with very interesting choices, albeit leaving more to be desired out of not just the movie's supernatural antagonist, but perhaps a proper climax that does not feel so sudden or devoid of weight when compared to the larger scope of the film's central macguffin.

My main dislikes though come from Peele's emphasis on ensuring that the audience look for a deeper meaning behind the movie, which while yes, is the root of horror, also does not need to be necessary in order to make his movies thought provoking or all the more effective.

Hard disagree. The reasons Peele chooses to tell these stories and how to tell them are obviously very important to him as a creator and I've thoroughly enjoyed every single one of his feature films. I also think it's kind of funny that you're trying to dictate what and how he designs his films. That kind of inadvertently earmarks by itself the themes of exploitation and erasure that are literally central to Nope.

I also disagree with compaints about the ending. It feels so emotionally perfect and conceptually it all makes so much sense storywise I don't see how I could personally hate it.