Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Jungle Navigation Co., Ltd. Skipper Canteen

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yep, I always pick up hard to find places 48 hours before I want to go because people drop them so they won't get charged.

Pecos was pretty good. The portions were huge to be honest, which shocked me. Normally counter service is just enough at the parks, but I came nowhere close to finishing my meal. I got the Fajitas. The topping bar was pretty good and a nice thing with Mexican food. I enjoyed it and was a good addition to the MK offerings since before this place and the place in tomorrowland were pretty much the same thing.

Skipper Canteen soft opened today, with official opening reported Dec 16th.

Two frozen drinks served with optional souvenir copper cup, appetizers around $8-10, while entires start at $17 and go to $34 for the steak. "Kungaloosh" chocolate cake desert.

Reactions: Ryno27
I'll have to go check this out at some point, but looking at the photos I'm kind of disappointed. They've been working on it all this time and it pretty much looks the same as it did before. I was expecting more of an Adventurers Club feel to it.

Glad this is finally open! The more dining options at MK, the better and it's good to have an old restaurant back. The menu didn't floor me but I'll still give it a try on my next visit (assuming this doesn't become another most elusive reservation).

Not a lot of impressions of this place, so I thought I'd add my experience. As someone who likes to sit and unwind at lunch, this has become on my "must" list any time I go to Magic Kingdom.

The entrees were expensive, but the apps were reasonable and well portioned for appetizers. We weren't looking for a big meal though.

Best of all, ALCOHOL. I can't tell you how great it was to sit and have a beer (as crappy as the selection was), and a bite in the Magic Kingdom. The Sangria was even better, and actually recommended over the beer...I just couldn't resist my first (legal) beer inside the magic kingdom.

This place had reservations available up to the day before we went to the park. So, it's clearly not that popular. (GOOD, please stay that way).

the kids meal (for those who care), was also reasonable for Disney and came with a really good quality dessert. It was my daughters favorite meal while on vacation.

Service was quick and without any fuss. I didn't give them time to crack any bad jokes. We were in and out within an hour.

If they added some actual craft beer selections (Blue Moon and Stella do not count), I'd give this place an A+.

Not a lot of impressions of this place, so I thought I'd add my experience. As someone who likes to sit and unwind at lunch, this has become on my "must" list any time I go to Magic Kingdom.

The entrees were expensive, but the apps were reasonable and well portioned for appetizers. We weren't looking for a big meal though.

Best of all, ALCOHOL. I can't tell you how great it was to sit and have a beer (as crappy as the selection was), and a bite in the Magic Kingdom. The Sangria was even better, and actually recommended over the beer...I just couldn't resist my first (legal) beer inside the magic kingdom.

This place had reservations available up to the day before we went to the park. So, it's clearly not that popular. (GOOD, please stay that way).

the kids meal (for those who care), was also reasonable for Disney and came with a really good quality dessert. It was my daughters favorite meal while on vacation.

Service was quick and without any fuss. I didn't give them time to crack any bad jokes. We were in and out within an hour.

If they added some actual craft beer selections (Blue Moon and Stella do not count), I'd give this place an A+.

I'd planned on going here for dinner on my last trip but jet lag kicked in and we were struggling to make it out the park yet alone sit down for a meal. Everything I read about this place sounds great and I think you've made this is a must for our next visit.

What did you have and what would you recommend?

I can't agree more. It's the best TS place in magic kingdom. Be Our Guest still wins out in Ambiance, but Skipper's is hands down the best quality of food and menu selection.

It used to be a little better; prior to the chicken nugget and cheeseburger crowd giving it bad reviews for not having "simple" food on the menu. :faint:

Reactions: Scott W.
I'd planned on going here for dinner on my last trip but jet lag kicked in and we were struggling to make it out the park yet alone sit down for a meal. Everything I read about this place sounds great and I think you've made this is a must for our next visit.

What did you have and what would you recommend?

we had the Ida Cachapa Corncakes - these were really good, and pretty filling for an app.
the Falafel was also good, although not as filling.
Beer selection was weak, but the blue moon was at least a 16 oz pour.
The red Sangria was really good, if you are into that type of drink.
my 8 year old got the Mac and Cheese, which came in a decent sized bowl, with steamed broccoli, and a Volcano Chocolate cake that was great.

One thing to keep in mind, is that your "check in" time, isn't your seating time. it takes about 15 mins to sit down. So plan ahead.
The indoor lobby is comfortable, and had a free water cooler, which was a nice touch.

if you go in, knowing what you want, you can get out pretty quickly.

the table next to me was large, and they all ordered entrees. Everything I saw looked good. The "whole fish" would probably be a great entrée to split for dinner, if you are trying to cut costs.

Reactions: Scott W.
I can't agree more. It's the best TS place in magic kingdom. Be Our Guest still wins out in Ambiance, but Skipper's is hands down the best quality of food and menu selection.

It used to be a little better; prior to the chicken nugget and cheeseburger crowd giving it bad reviews for not having "simple" food on the menu. :faint:

Be our Guest is also almost impossible to get reservations for. This place is like a hidden gem compared.

I hope the "simple" people stay away personally.

Reactions: Andysol
Be our Guest is also almost impossible to get reservations for. This place is like a hidden gem compared.

I hope the "simple" people stay away personally.

I'll definitely need to give this a try.

If you're ever struggling to get a reservation, I cannot recommend the Touring Plans reservation finder tool enough:

Disney World Dining Reservation Finder

I managed to find Be Our Guest at the exact time and date I wanted plus every other place I went to as well. I think it's the most overlooked and possibly best tool on the website.