'Jurassic Park 4' lands release date | Inside Universal Forums

'Jurassic Park 4' lands release date

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
From Entertainment Weekly:

Universal Pictures announced Friday that Jurassic Park 4 will roar into theaters on June 13, 2014. Steven Spielberg, who directed the first two films in the franchise, will produce with Frank Marshall, but no director is yet attached. The film will be shot in 3-D.

The news makes clear that Universal is dedicated to revitalizing the Jurassic Park franchise, which has been gathering dust ever since the Joe Johnston-directed Jurassic Park III banked $181 million in 2001. Rise of the Planet of the Apes screenwriters Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have penned a new draft of the screenplay for the four-quel, which had been been sidelined ever since an Ain’t It Cool News review in 2007 of a draft of a screenplay that featured human-dinosaur hybrid soldiers.
I've long maintained that Universal won't change an existing attraction unless a new movie is released of the same franchise. Well...

From Entertainment Weekly:

I've long maintained that Universal won't change an existing attraction unless a new movie is released of the same franchise. Well...
This speaks good news for the JP Ride. I would find it hard to believe if Comcast didn't take advantage of this marketing opportunity. If they do go ahead with this for the JP ride, we can only hope they do the same for the Mummy, which in my opinion, needs it more than JP.

Honestly, just update the current animatronics more and add amazing new ones, and maybe some other effects. It kills me inside when literally EVERY time I go on the ride for the past couple years, there's lots of people in the boat who go "ohhh woooow, look how fake." That's a problem...

They just finished a refurb. It won't get touched. I won't say much because this is a touchy subject for me and I've already said my piece on Facebook, but I don't think the ride needs anything added. It has its own story that would not make sense if changed.

Reactions: Chris
Oh I definitely don't want the story altered or MAJOR changes. The recent refurb still was just a refurb and not a good overhaul of the animatronics besides the skin. I simply would want the animatronics to move faster/smoother and look more realistic, and maybe add a few more dinos to make it seem more populated. It's one of my fav rides anywhere, so like you, i don't want it changed, but i WOULD like to see it upgraded/updated

They just fixed the internal mechanics and all movement on each dinosaur. The big stegosaurus has the most noticeable difference. I haven't seen most of them move so well since the ride opened in 96. (I rode it for the first time about 6 months after it had opened - and was traumatized for about a year after!)

I don't think the dinosaur movements have ever been extremely fluid. The recent refurbishments have obviously helped, but the odd movement could be due to the underlying mechanics.

Jurassic Park 4 was an interesting development. I could definitely see something happening with Islands of Adventure, but it's a bit of a different story here. Perhaps if the movie is a massive hit.

Jon, trust me, they used to be very fluid and had more range of movements. Check out the other thread I posted about the grand opening that was filmed on E!. The footage they show of the ride, the baby steg, boat spitter, the other two spitters, and the raptors all are super fluid and have better movements, very realistic! Or check this video out to see how some of them used to be more fluid.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mjg74jZKs8I?feature=oembedMy uncle has some footage too where they look a lot better.

Regarding additions cuz of the movie, i definitely see Orlando cashing in. For us, we'll probably get a projection effect, or a "wetter than ever" kinda thing.

However, our poor T-Rex 2 has not been moving well for years.  I would like to see attention payed to the finale Rex of Hollywood's version.  This was always my favorite part of the attraction and its sad when the movement of the Rex looks like its broken and just hanging there with a broken neck.  I went on after the refurb and nothing has changed for her.  I wonder if its park managments' personal touch on the ride to try and make the Rex closer to the boat.  Personally, I find that when it towers over you and then comes down just before you drop to be much more effective and scary.

Didn't they refurb the final t-rex like...half a year a go or so? I remember it was under a black "garbage" back for the longest time....

I wish in general it was loke Florida's. Our T-rex just hangs there in plain site in sleep mode before it comes out.

I wish in general it was loke Florida's. Our T-rex just hangs there in plain site in sleep mode before it comes out.
Guess I'm in the minority, but I like the surprise of ours. Almost like our T-Rex is stopping by to give guests a quick "hi" before they head down.

Plus, it adds a level of surprise that's not seen in Florida or Japan.

...and isn't there a water curtain that hides our T-Rex? That and some fog effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Freak
I like the surprise too, but for me, I've always seen through the waterfall and there was barely any smoke. When i recently went, it was the same way.....maybe im just catching that effect on bad days

Also, for the past couple years, the hadrosaur that knocks you off course has been coming up super early....totally not believable that it knocked you off course...
I think they also changed that element a few years ago. I know it seems more like Florida and Japan now. Not sure how to describe the previous effect, but it felt more realistic.

It just doesn't make sense now. Previously, when it came up, there was a rumbling sort of effect on the right bottom of the boat closest to the dinosaur that was synchronized to make the boat feel "bumped" as the hadrosaur comes up. Gave for quite a scare!

That "bump" is still there, but after the dinosaur is already up....which makes no sense