Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10) | Page 537 | Inside Universal Forums

Jurassic World VelociCoaster Construction Thread (Opening June 10)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yall are a mess in here today? But even as lightly themed as universal's operating coasters are, some credit should be given for hulk and rrr. Hulk's launch tube and rrr's vertical lift are huge weenies especially at night, like i personally love the look of both. Now dragon challenge was not and thankfully its gone, but i guarantee 90% of people that visit universal would never have this conversation. PERIOD!!

Reactions: natespf
Yall are a mess in here today? But even as lightly themed as universal's operating coasters are, some credit should be given for hulk and rrr. Hulk's launch tube and rrr's vertical lift are huge weenies especially at night, like i personally love the look of both. Now dragon challenge was not and thankfully its gone, but i guarantee 90% of people that visit universal would never have this conversation. PERIOD!!

My issue with RRR is less its looks and more the fact that it's just a terrible, terrible coaster

My issue with RRR is less its looks and more the fact that it's just a terrible, terrible coaster

That was just a terrible decision on every level.
They should have cloned the Hollywood Dream B&M coaster from Japan which would have been infinitely more popular and reliable, plus really good fun.

Re the JP coaster, I'm sure this will look better than the mess they made of JP in Japan for flying Dinosaur.

And removed prior to opening. That's the only thing that worries me with Intamin. I love their coasters but sometimes the elements are a little too much for my neck. I don't have back issues but some of Maverick's whipping turns really toss the old head back and forth. Hopefully, this ride isn't too extreme in that regard. I will still ride it, regardless, but prefer to not have to brace myself.
I wonder if they would let you ride with a neck brace? I've often thought about trying it.....

Just like to point out, the Jurassic Park game made by Telltale actually features a roller coaster at one point.

jessemaccabe_jp_dinoRide.jpg

Too bad we couldn't get a real live version of this :look:

"The Bone Shaker" see: Bone Shaker | Jurassic Park wiki | FANDOM powered by Wikia

Oh my god hollywood dream :puke:, people love rrr, and plus that atrocious lifthill, no rrr looks much better, rough ride though.

Last edited:
They should have cloned the Hollywood Dream B&M coaster from Japan which would have been infinitely more popular and reliable, plus really good fun.
There was a plan

I think complaining that you feel like you're in a theme park when you're in a theme park is the definition of lunacy
I do understand where they are coming from...There is a certain level of immersion that sets Universal and Disney apart from the rest

I do not, however, understand this notion that JP is somehow ruined now when it has been a mess since HP came to town

Reactions: natespf

Re the JP coaster, I'm sure this will look better than the mess they made of JP in Japan for flying Dinosaur.

Not gonna lie, I'd take Hollywood Dream over Mummy any day.

I legit wouldn't spend the money to go to any Disney or Universal park if the theming wasn't there to go along with the rides. The theming is what puts them a notch above. The rides would still be fine, but not worth the money they charge w/o the theming.
The sets inside the rides are theming as well. I wonder if people would be just as okay with Forbidden Journey minus all the sets.
No my favorite park is Magic Kingdom if we’re talking Florida. Overall it’s Disneyland.
Just like to point out, the Jurassic Park game made by Telltale actually features a roller coaster at one point.

jessemaccabe_jp_dinoRide.jpg

Too bad we couldn't get a real live version of this :look:
Holy crap I WISH that’s what we would get. Looks like it might be a repurposed mine?

Maybe we all need to take a field trip to a local amusement park to remind us what constitutes as poor theming. On the case of RRR, its is reprisentitive of the music industry, something production central lacked. Instead of using the budget to rip off something like the Arrowsmith coaster next door, they rolled the dice and tried to make a whole new kind of immersive coaster where you choose the music. It was ambitious and I think ultimately failed, universal lost interest, budget was majorly slashed. Im sure it was supposed to blend in much better to NY, but allocation of funds couldn't justify it. But at the end of the day, it's unapologetic, memorable, and I love it.
I think with Universals track record as of late, instead of being trepidatious of a big coaster, we should be excited to see how modern UC tackles the challenge of making a real show out of a mega thrill ride.

Maybe we all need to take a field trip to a local amusement park to remind us what constitutes as poor theming. On the case of RRR, its is reprisentitive of the music industry, something production central lacked. Instead of using the budget to rip off something like the Arrowsmith coaster next door, they rolled the dice and tried to make a whole new kind of immersive coaster where you choose the music. It was ambitious and I think ultimately failed, universal lost interest, budget was majorly slashed. Im sure it was supposed to blend in much better to NY, but allocation of funds couldn't justify it. But at the end of the day, it's unapologetic, memorable, and I love it.
I think with Universals track record as of late, instead of being trepidatious of a big coaster, we should be excited to see how modern UC tackles the challenge of making a real show out of a mega thrill ride.
Well Intamin is handling it instead of Mauher Sohne, so it's already better automatically

@CoasterGuy You are right about waiting to see what a modern UC can do with this coaster before judging.

I can't agree with you on RRR. It is fun, and yes I like that you can choose music, but it should have been done in a different place. Being right in the entrance without any connection to its surroundings, makes its presence awkward and makes it difficult to add future themes in that area in case they wanted to make a minions land or an Illumination area.

Yet, UC is different now so... i will not say another word about the trees! lol

We all want different things from Universal, which I think is cool! I can't say I don't like a fun thrill, especially since I have a Skydiving B License. Whether this coaster is themed or not, it will be fun to ride it. It is just more enjoyable for me to take in the sets, landscaping, and the art along with it. One of my favorite places in IOA is the entrance. The curvature and details of the buildings are so much fun to see!

Regarding theming/immersion - I think there's gotta be a line of expectations. Obviously, we expect the best from world-class theme parks to immerse us into a fantasy world, but we also have to check our expectations. After all, reality has its limits. Seeing a showbuilding, a coaster track, etc... shouldn't ruin an experience for you, or be a deal breaker.

I know it's a discussion board - but it doesn't mean we need to debate everything. Just my 2 cents

Regarding theming/immersion - I think there's gotta be a line of expectations. Obviously, we expect the best from world-class theme parks to immerse us into a fantasy world, but we also have to check our expectations. After all, reality has its limits. Seeing a showbuilding, a coaster track, etc... shouldn't ruin an experience for you, or be a deal breaker.

I know it's a discussion board - but it doesn't mean we need to debate everything. Just my 2 cents
I agree........&.....Let's debate your new Avatar. :lol: Just kidding.........I think it looks pretty cool. :thumbsup:

If you are going to cheap out on a coaster and are in serious need of a new ride to market you spend the money on a slam dunk good coaster. They would have been better served with a B&M hyper over RRR even with better themeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.