1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Kennedy Space Center

Discussion in 'Other Orlando & Central Florida Tourist Spots' started by WAJAS98, Aug 31, 2015.

1. WAJAS98

WAJAS98 Veteran Member

Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex had a 10 year master plan made for them by PGAV Destination a few years back. They have followed it pretty well by building the new entrance plaza, Orbiter Home, and upgrading dining.
    Here's the master plan:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    About this schedule, they seem to have followed it pretty well. They seem to be about a year behind as the new main retail and the Legacy (renamed Heroes and Legends, includes relocated Astronaut HoF) are the ones currently being constructed over there. They have construction walls up for these two projects right now.
    [​IMG]

Some slight changes to the plan include the Legacy/Atronaut HoF/Heroes and Legends building going were it says Debus on the map on the bottom left. Here's a fly through of the new attraction.

Comments?

2. Hockeyman55

Hockeyman55 Premium Member

Here is a KSC question for you guys. Do you think there is enough do see and do there for little ones in the 3-5 year old range. I haven't been since 1986 and we keep talking about checking it out and the kids do love seeing rocket launches we show them on tv and Youtube so we think seeing all the rockets, shuttles and displays will interest them enough to enjoy it. What do you guys think?

3. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

If you haven't been since 1986 it's definitely worth checking out. There are some fun things for kids. There is a playground near the rocket garden. The shuttle exhibit has a large slide and a ISS crawl through mock up hanging from the ceiling, pretty scary if your afraid of heights.

The shuttle exhibit is very well done. It really is on the level of something Universal or Disney would do, well maybe Disney in the 80's & 90's. The shuttle ride isn't too bad. I'm not sure if the Angry Birds games are still there but they would be good for kids. Other than that there are great visuals for kids Saturn V rocket, shuttle etc.

4. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

I love that the flight simulator art is literally photoshopped Soarin' art

5. WAJAS98

WAJAS98 Veteran Member

:lol: It's literally the same people and ride vehicle in both pics. I think the video shows what they are going for a lot better.[​IMG]

6. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

I spent the whole weekend there with the finale being the SpaceX-9 rocket launch last night.

Here's the video:

I'll have more video and pictures in the coming days.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    LieutLaww and JoeCamel like this.
  7. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Premium Member

Was the moon out so you could see that weird moonlit cloud from the exhaust? Almost full but I don't know the timing for it.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  8. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

I don't think there is anything more spectacular than watching a launch.

9. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

I don't know that landing was pretty spectacular!

JoeCamel likes this.
  10. WAJAS98

WAJAS98 Veteran Member

@BriMan I think there's one in the US Parks section.

Brian G. likes this.
  11. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

12. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

Just to clarify it wasn't "at launch" but rather at the launch pad. They do a lot of tests leading up to launch.

This is the best photo I've found:

Edit:

Just to add from reading reports it sounds like there was a static fire test (where the rocket is held down and the engines are run briefly to check everything out) planned today. This should mean no one was near the pad. Also it hasn't been said yet wether the satellite had already been added to the rocket, that will ultimately dictate how costly this failure was.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  13. UK-Trigg

UK-Trigg Veteran Member

My bucket list includes seeing a launch, yet in all my trips I haven't never seen one yet.

One trip I planned around a shuttle launch, something myself and mt Daughter were keen to experience, So we checked the dates and made our plans. Unfortunately the launch was delayed and wasn't rescheduled until our return to the UK.

I remember eventually watching it live on the news with my Daughter by my side, we both had the longest of faces and as it was the final voyage we knew that our own ship had sailed on that one.

Moral of the story, If you want something then go get it because before you know it i could be gone :doh:

Scott W. likes this.
  14. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

Launches can be hard to see even for locals. The dates are always changing and the possibility of delay or cancellation is always present even up to mere seconds before launch. Many times I've made the trip out only to have the launch scrubbed and rescheduled to a time when I couldn't go. That being said they're amazing to see, however with limited time during a vacation trying to catch one is a real gamble with your time.

15. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

Not to rub it in but I think watching a shuttle launch was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

JoeCamel and s8film40 like this.
  16. JoeCamel

JoeCamel Premium Member

Yes, I made it over for a couple of night ones, one had low cloud cover so it was over fast but the other was clear. All the way back people were pulled over to see the exhaust plume lit by the moon. Hung around for more than an hour.

Was coming up to the parks one morning early after they launched a Delta and the plume was lit by the moon. People were on the side of the road from US27 all the way into Orlando watching

s8film40 likes this.
  17. s8film40

s8film40 Veteran Member

18. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Premium Member

Will be interesting to see if there is anything new when I head there in Oct.

19. Mr. EPCOT

Mr. EPCOT Veteran Member

20. LieutLaww

LieutLaww Premium Member

They could at least make an effort and have it done by the time I go in Oct :P

belloq87 likes this.