Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kennywood Park

Mad Dog

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2013
Pittsburgh area
Kennywood Park, in the Pittsburgh suburbs, has just announced that they will be adding Thomas Town in 2018 to celebrate their 120th anniversary. The new area will feature "five rides" including a retheming of the Olde Kennywood Railroad into a Thomas & Friends themed attraction. Plus a stage show, a retail center, soft play area and birthday center..............Looks like IP even rules in the smaller parks.

Really wish they had that RMC ready for this year....
They just started tearing down the log jammer (part of it was still there when we did Christmas at Kennywood in December, so they still have deconstruction work to do when our terrible winter weather disappears), so that's probably the location. I got season passes for the first time ever this summer. UK Trigg is coming to town and he'll get to do those classic coasters. Then we're doing a day trip in your neck of the woods, Cedar Point.

Details on the new land.....opening June 2018
*$8.5 million addition
*Adults & Children (Family) will be able to ride all the new rides
*Olde Kennywood Railroad re themed to Thomas & Friends
*Cranky's Drop Tower
*Harold's Helocopters
*Firefighting Flyers
*The Convoy

Show: Sir Toppham Hatt and His Really Useful Engine
New Gift Shop
Play area
Party Pavilion
Games

Last edited:
At today's media day, Nick Paradise, Kennywood park spokesman, was asked what will be replacing the recently torn down Log Jammer. Nick's response was, "all I can say is that we're working on Kennywood's next great attraction".

Didn't know where else to put this, but this is the final teaser for next year's attraction. Announcement coming tomorrow.
I will be in the park tomorrow. Potato Patch Fries & Auntie Ann's hot pretzels.....The Thomas land is a bit behind schedule due to the record rains this year. Now it's supposed to open end of July or beginning August....Just about everyone is expecting a coaster for next year's attraction, mostly due to the lay of the land where it's going. Flat area adjacent to a steep ravine. If it's not a coaster, the masses will be disappointed. hopefully 4,000 ft. long 220 ft. drop into the ravine.

Count me in the boat that's hoping for a coaster of some sorts, since any coaster of Kennywood's that dives into the ravine is something special. (Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit's Double Dip, Phantom Revenge's infamous Thunderbolt head chopper which is still the best of it's kind.)

Count me in the boat that's hoping for a coaster of some sorts, since any coaster of Kennywood's that dives into the ravine is something special. (Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit's Double Dip, Phantom Revenge's infamous Thunderbolt head chopper which is still the best of it's kind.)
Yeah. Those dives into the ravine really make a coaster extra special. A 230 ft. drop into a wooded ravine is many times more thrilling than a 230 ft. drop on a coaster that's elevated & built on flat terrain. One reason I really like BGW also. Most of BGW's coasters have that long drop into the ravine and/or lake.

Just back from Kennywood. Toooooo HOT today. 100 plus degrees in the sun all day, 94 in the shade....Anyway, Nick Paradise, Kennywood spokesman, said they will reveal the ride towards the end of this month. He was also coy, when asked, about whether the new rebar jutting out of the Lagoon is linked to the attraction. He didn't deny it....Interesting, if it ends going over that far into the park.