Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Knott's Berry Farm

The remade Timber Mountain and Log Rides have both been remade as absolutely top of the line Disney quality rides.
I disagree. They're both charming in their own ways, but the animatronics are not in the same league as Disney or Universal. Despite the top-tier manufacturer, it was pretty obvious they had to cater to Knott's budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will disagree back at you. Obviously not all or any of the new animatronics are as sophisticated as the pirate auctioneer, Ursula, Orlando's Mummy, or Lincoln at Disney, but they're just as fluid, lifelike, and articulate as all the secondary pirate characters in the Pirate rides. For the amount of figures both rides have and for how fast you pass the scenes (relatively fast), it's very impressive and in my opinion, Disney quality. Not top tier Disney quality animatronics for the few super advanced models, but still impressive.

I never see Knott's competing directly with Disney or Universal, to be honest. The latter two parks each have a legendary worldwide status, while the former is more of a standalone (in my opinion).

I never see Knott's competing directly with Disney or Universal, to be honest. The latter two parks each have a legendary worldwide status, while the former is more of a standalone (in my opinion).
I've been to Knotts many times and I have to agree...its more of a localized park to me...its big, but something separates it somehow from being truly...epic.

I will disagree back at you. Obviously not all or any of the new animatronics are as sophisticated as the pirate auctioneer, Ursula, Orlando's Mummy, or Lincoln at Disney, but they're just as fluid, lifelike, and articulate as all the secondary pirate characters in the Pirate rides.
Have you experienced the rides in person? Again, they're charming, but they're not at all fluid or lifelike in comparison to any of Disney's offerings. You really need to experience both rides in person to see what I mean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not since the refurbs, no. But I can tell on video they're up there. My point is that I feel that slowly but surely Knotts will wanna create more Disney quality rides. After all, Disney level themeing and rides were what they had in the beginning! All the different themed areas of the park, and all the themed rides like Log Ride and Timber Mountain predate their Disney cousins by decades. Knotts was known for fantastic themeing until Disney came along and pumped that to the max themselves.

Cedar Fair completely ruined that then when they took ownership. I feel like slowly they'll want to go back to their roots and create more themed rides that are close to Disney/Universal level. Not beat or exceed them, but at least be up there to be seen in this competitive market.

I agree with the lack of theming. Some of the new rides like 'Windseeker' or 'Xcellerator' have this weird six flags feel to them and I don't know why. Then it bumps oddly with themed rides like that railroad ride, and the log one I think, and also bigfoot rapids. Very themed rides....Don't get me wrong, I love supreme scream, but I think that Knotts should try a bit harder with theming.

Xcellerator isn't new... and Windseeker is gone from the park so I think we should wait till the ride gets announced..
It really has been that long since I've been to Knott's I guess....looked it up now and it said some kid died on it? Yeah, how ddid I miss that.Anyway you can mix thrills and theming, Monetzooma's revenge kind of proves that, as does Jaguar.

^It definitely seems like they're on an upward swing, but like Universal, they still have some remnants of cruft left over from previous administrations. It's still a relatively good park regardless of its faults, and it seems to offer a good balance between family fun and thrills.

^It definitely seems like they're on an upward swing, but like Universal, they still have some remnants of cruft left over from previous administrations. It's still a relatively good park regardless of its faults, and it seems to offer a good balance between family fun and thrills.
Also helps that Knott's seems to be cheaper...(checked online and its 66 at the gate, but only 40 if you buy online) Which is a crazy amount of difference... Although I have to wonder how much they must need the traffic to offer thirty dollar discount like that. They do have some really odd places that do seem out of place... But some other stuff really seems like it fits. It really does. I like that it has a place exclusively for families and children, and the mexican 'land' is sort of in between that, and then you have the full on rides for adults too.

Knotts has a huge and loyal local fanbase and they make a ton of money on food in the park. (The food there is very, very good. )

Part of why they have so many guests is the low price. I have said before and will say again, theme parks do not make money on ticket sales, same as movie theaters. The money comes in on food and merch sales. Less money the customer spends to get in, the more they spend on things they want or need, like food and fun things.

Knotts has a huge and loyal local fanbase and they make a ton of money on food in the park. (The food there is very, very good. )

Part of why they have so many guests is the low price. I have said before and will say again, theme parks do not make money on ticket sales, same as movie theaters. The money comes in on food and merch sales. Less money the customer spends to get in, the more they spend on things they want or need, like food and fun things.
Yeah I agree. Ticket sales are not a factor in profitability...which is why its insane to me that Disney hikes up prices closer to a hundred a day at Disneyland...as you said, its food in the park, and how much it costs and how good it is. If the food is good, for a reasonable price, people will pay. If bad, people won't pay, or they will begrudgingly pay... Its basically a bottle where customers only have one way to get food/drink within the park.. I've always liked the food at Knott's particularly the Chicken Dinner place. That was really good...

It really has been that long since I've been to Knott's I guess....looked it up now and it said some kid died on it? Yeah, how ddid I miss that.Anyway you can mix thrills and theming, Monetzooma's revenge kind of proves that, as does Jaguar.
No one has ever died on Xcelerator.     Back in 2009, a cable snapped mid launch cutting a kids leg:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/VFL2ybuxeUY?feature=oembed

The ride was closed for several months and the kid made a full recovery. 

Since then, Xcelerator has been accident free.