Kojima Production's OD (XBOX/Cloud) | Inside Universal Forums

Kojima Production's OD (XBOX/Cloud)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!

Hideo Kojima has announced at The Game Awards his second major title in development at Kojima Productions--a survival horror multi-media experience simply titled 'OD' (previously under the rumored name, of OVER DOSE).

Billed as the "Avengers" of Horror in collaboration, Jordan Peele was confirmed and brought out as they discussed initial bits that they could at The Game Awards. This game will be using the full power of XBOX's Cloud Gaming initiative to provide what they are aiming to be one of the most ambitious horror experiences out there.

The official cast so-far includes Sophia Lillis (IT, Dungeon's & Dragons), Hunter Schafer (Euphoria, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes), and Udo Kier (Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, Blade [1998]).

Last edited:
I need to see more as that trailer was really just setting the tone (which is all it had to do for a teaser), but this could be great. Seems like after all of these years of acquisitions and fairly dry years for Xbox, we're finally starting to see games come from these acquisitions. Still not sure that that does anything for Xbox's popularity since they release everything on PC, but I think Microsoft's main "console" if you will is shifting from being Xbox to Gamepass since that covers both the Xbox AND PC.

Gamepass also has support in other places now, too, so there's many ways you can give Microsoft your money to play their games, making it far less necessary to buy an Xbox (whereas Sony holds onto their First Party games as exclusives until quite awhile after launch, usually multiple years).

I need to see more as that trailer was really just setting the tone (which is all it had to do for a teaser), but this could be great. Seems like after all of these years of acquisitions and fairly dry years for Xbox, we're finally starting to see games come from these acquisitions. Still not sure that that does anything for Xbox's popularity since they release everything on PC, but I think Microsoft's main "console" if you will is shifting from being Xbox to Gamepass since that covers both the Xbox AND PC.

Gamepass also has support in other places now, too, so there's many ways you can give Microsoft your money to play their games, making it far less necessary to buy an Xbox (whereas Sony holds onto their First Party games as exclusives until quite awhile after launch, usually multiple years).

I'm fully willing to be open and free on it--because of PT.

There lies a inner and carnal desire for Kojima to do something genuinely horrific in gaming. It's been there ever since when he was working on Silent Hills. And the fact he is working with one of the best modern day horror director and writers is vastly important.

I think it's also good that they are seemingly getting Trent Reznor involved, as his musical motif feels all apparent. It sets a tone that feels cautious and wanting to hold back from what truly lies in that unknown. If they can manage to get him, or even Colin Stetson for music; that'd be amazing. As would getting Junji Ito, who was rumored to of been the creature designer on Hills, for OD.

I want to see us western audiences squirm and shake in fear and terror; and Kojima feels like one of the few who could do this.

I'm fully willing to be open and free on it--because of PT.

There lies a inner and carnal desire for Kojima to do something genuinely horrific in gaming. It's been there ever since when he was working on Silent Hills. And the fact he is working with one of the best modern day horror director and writers is vastly important.

I think it's also good that they are seemingly getting Trent Reznor involved, as his musical motif feels all apparent. It sets a tone that feels cautious and wanting to hold back from what truly lies in that unknown. If they can manage to get him, or even Colin Stetson for music; that'd be amazing. As would getting Junji Ito, who was rumored to of been the creature designer on Hills, for OD.

I want to see us western audiences squirm and shake in fear and terror; and Kojima feels like one of the few who could do this.
All of this sounds good on paper, I just worry that going so Hollywood with everything may not work as intended, but hopefully Kojima can keep it on track. This has the all the makings of an all-timer though so hope they can deliver on that.

You mentioning Silent Hill also reminded me that we have the Silent Hill 2 remake coming next year, too!

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
All of this sounds good on paper, I just worry that going so Hollywood with everything may not work as intended, but hopefully Kojima can keep it on track. This has the all the makings of an all-timer though so hope they can deliver on that.

And I think that's fair--but something to consider is when Kojima usually works on a project; a part of it is almost auto-biographical.

MGS was on the matter of Kojima dealing with his issues of his father. Death Stranding was of Kojima finding his connection to others; and if you consider what OD could be--I think it is Kojima wanting to figure out what he wishes to make Kojima Productions to be.

The fact that they are interhandedly making both the element of game and film key, makes me think with the cloud technology--that Kojima wants to create a world that can strike people to their core on a deeper level of understanding, fear, and realization; than what PT aimed to do. That is why I trust in Kojima here--especially with his love of horror, and his love for pure cinematic experiences.

I am hoping GDT is onboard too, as I am of Nicolas Winding Refn. I want to see it become full circle in those creatively he wanted to work with on the matter of a horror project, come together alongside the likes of Jordan Peele; to ensure Kojima's jump to film meshes with games in a way that feels like it takes the platform forward.