Lionsgate World Resort | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Lionsgate World Resort

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Thoughts on SkyPlex?

• I want it!

• I have concerns, but still want to see it built.

• I hate it!

• I don't care.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I keep saying the same thing! It's a LOT of money they need to raise to make this happen.

I heard $200M, which really isn't, tho (in terms of corporate development, obviously I could live the rest of my life on 1% of that). Plus, they're counting on this as the "weenie" for what looks like Church St. Station 2.0. The money isn't necessarily in the coaster, it's in finding something to attract the convention crowds to eat and drink.

That iSquare mall/hotel, tho--I think it's probably killed by this.

I heard $200M, which really isn't, tho (in terms of corporate development, obviously I could live the rest of my life on 1% of that). Plus, they're counting on this as the "weenie" for what looks like Church St. Station 2.0. The money isn't necessarily in the coaster, it's in finding something to attract the convention crowds to eat and drink.

That iSquare mall/hotel, tho--I think it's probably killed by this.

$200 million isn't a huge number for a big developer, but this is a restaurateur who runs one (and soon to be a second) location. Unless this company has some other funding source or is partnering with someone with really deep pockets, it's not happening. Honestly I don't see a bank lending that kind of money since this is an unproven business that will rely solely on selling ride tickets and observation tower tickets. That's probably the reason they aren't even breaking ground until next year...they don't have the financing and are hoping that announcing will attract investors.

While coaster people think it's a "must do" I don't know that the average Orlando tourist will since they're already shelling out thousands for their theme park tickets that include roller coasters. I honestly don't think this will be a particularly thrilling coaster ride since it will have to have brake blocks all over it. It will be the world's tallest wild mouse in essence.

Last edited:
Interesting, in one of the pictures it seems that the coaster track will actually move away from the tower at one point and go around the rest of the complex. Would be cool if they indeed did this.

- - - Updated - - -

200 million and a nebulous "We'll start building sometime next year!" were red flags for me.

They still need FAA approval as well ...

$200 million isn't a huge number for a big developer, but this is a restaurateur who runs one (and soon to be a second) location. Unless this company has some other funding source or is partnering with someone with really deep pockets, it's not happening. Honestly I don't see a bank lending that kind of money since this is an unproven business that will rely solely on selling ride tickets and observation tower tickets. That's probably the reason they aren't even breaking ground until next year...they don't have the financing and are hoping that announcing will attract investors.

While coaster people think it's a "must do" I don't know that the average Orlando tourist will since they're already shelling out thousands for their theme park tickets that include roller coasters. I honestly don't think this will be a particularly thrilling coaster ride since it will have to have brake blocks all over it. It will be the world's tallest wild mouse in essence.

I don't necessarily see this coming to fruition either, but something to clear up is that this isn't going to run solely on ticket sales to a rollercoaster. This is a retail / restaurant development that includes an observation tower / rollercoaster component that will likely be a bigger draw than a typical retail outlet space on it's own.

I would be skeptical too, but I didn't think the ferris wheel was going to happen either and now it's under construction.

But the Orlando Eye is by Merlin Entertainment. The largest theme park operator on the planet. They have very deep pockets. This is by some guy who owns a bar in Miami.

Reactions: natespf
I don't necessarily see this coming to fruition either, but something to clear up is that this isn't going to run solely on ticket sales to a rollercoaster. This is a retail / restaurant development that includes an observation tower / rollercoaster component that will likely be a bigger draw than a typical retail outlet space on it's own.

Honestly though, there's not so much to see here in Orlando that people will clamor to get up there. Yes, the theme parks are there, but you can't see much of them, and with the humidity it will be too hazy to see very far most of the time. I know from SeaWorld's 300' tower you can see a little of Disney and Universal, but other than that you really only see the Convention Center and the towers of downtown Orlando in the distance. It's not like a helicopter tour where they can fly over the parks and sites. Also, aside from the initial press release from the manufacturer, I don't believe there is going to be a restaurant up top, just an observation deck (unless I missed something in the announcement the other day).

I think the best comparison would be this:
South_of_the_Border_-_The_Sombrero_Tower.JPG

Saying he 'owns a bar in miami' is a little misleading. My condo is right behind Mangos, which is the hottest/busiest nightspot in all of South Beach, which is a huge BIG MONEY, BIG CROWD area. Its a huge themed complex he owns that is extremely busy with drink prices in the 15-30 range. Its a HUGE cash cow.... plus it's SoBe, Miami beach.. I am sure Mangos is not his only source of income... this town is just like that. I would not think raising 20mil will stop this project from happening. for some reason, i also do not see it happening, but I dont see 20mil being the reason why.

But the Orlando Eye is by Merlin Entertainment. The largest theme park operator on the planet. They have very deep pockets. This is by some guy who owns a bar in Miami.

Well the great Orlando wheel initially it was different company until the whole thing fell through, I think it's possible that if the company from Miami falls through the project could end up with backers from a larger company like Marlin.

^ They showed two trains on the tracks at once but I didn't notice any upper break runs. Too, how are they going to rescue a car that gets stuck at 400 feet?

The renderings are pretty inaccurate. I'm pretty sure the lift mechanism will have to be magnetic considering it's a curved ascent, yet the video shows a chain. Also, the end stretch of track doesn't have any brakes even though the train clearly slows down. So I'm sure there will be some sort of evacuation method and brake runs not shown in that video.

- - - Updated - - -

I, Like you was (and still am) on the fence with this one. It does look amazing and certainly unique, I hope it happens but until we see steel reaching for the skies I will stay a tad optimistic.

Yeah, I still take this with a pretty large grain of salt lol

I just don't get the funding and business model with this. Reeks of Hard Rock Park sort of blind optimism.

I think a lot of it will depend on the performance of the Orlando Eye...if that tanks, I have a feeling this won't come to fruition. But if it proves there's a crowd who's willing to pay for rides on I-Drive, I can see it being successful. The money will surely be in the venues in/around the tower rather than the ride itself which will just serve as a weenie to attract patrons to the shopping/dining/clubbing/whatever is going down there complex. Also unlike Hard Rock Park, this single roller coaster will probably be run solely at the request of customers and have no need for high capacity and in turn high operating costs. Even the construction of it shouldn't be completely outrageous since its entire suppirt structure is one large pole.

Where they lose me is the funding--the main investor behind this project seems so out of left field for a project of this scope.

The Orlando Eye/I-Drive 360 is turning out to be a very nice complex. And the wheel itself is going to be amazing. Not so sure about Skeleton: Museum of Osteology though

I just don't get the funding and business model with this. Reeks of Hard Rock Park sort of blind optimism.

It's a weenie to get the crowds at Orange County Convention Center to make their way to Mangos and the other attached bars/restaurants rather than DTD/CityWalk/Pointe Orlando (tho bound to be some overlap with the latter). Think of it as a billboard visible as you drive in from the airport. Also, a lot of I-Drive attractions still pull a number of tourists every day. Not MK numbers but things like Titanic and Pirates Dinner Adventure employ a lot of people and still stay in business year after year.

Also I wonder how many people will be flying in and seeing both the tower and the wheel from a distance. Nice little way for some self promotion.

I always noticed lots of families playing putt putt on Idrive (and its not cheap at some of them) so I feel like there is a market for these types of attractions for those looking for things to do later in the evening after a day at the park and even additional incentives on planning a trip to Orlando, more icing on the Orlando cake if you will.

I-drive wants to be the Vegas strip of Orlando and im cool with that.

Last edited: