Live Theatre / Musicals | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Live Theatre / Musicals

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Beetlejuice the Musical found a new home on Broadway at the Marquis Theater. Performances start April 8, 2022.

Go check it out if you'd be interested. I absolutely loved the show.
Incredible news. The temptation to fly back up to see it again is real. Now we just need to get a pro-shot filmed. Wonder what the cast will look like.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Incredible news. The temptation to fly back up to see it again is real. Now we just need to get a pro-shot filmed. Wonder what the cast will look like.

I hope they get as much of the original cast as possible, and WB should have the bright idea to film this for HBO Max when they have a chance since they know the content is relatively evergreen for a Halloween season.

Reactions: GA-MBIT and Tbad556
Finally watched The Prom on Netflix. It’s a good time. Definitely not amazing. But the choreography is fantastic and it’s worth it to watch Streep and Kidman absolutely ham it up.

Reactions: Frogki and Clive
So I know I'm late with it but just finished Come From Away on Apple TV and it definitely brought out the waterworks tonight, especially after the 20th remembrance this past weekend. Beautiful story about the tragedy of that day, but also the beauty of so many people coming together to help one another get through and the hospitality toward so many stranded people. Really glad it was filmed since I haven't been able to go watch it in person.

James Corden is really the only major misfire.
Yeeeeaaa… didn’t really want to dig into how his performance felt more like “caricature” than “camp.” It made a couple of his scenes more awkward than impactful.

Honestly, as much as I enjoyed Andrew Rannels and Keegan Michael-Key in it, the women greatly outshone the men in every way.

I’ve got a 13 hour flight tomorrow, and I just signed up for BroadwayHD. Expect more reviews when I land.

EDIT - No wifi on military flights! Wooo! So, not as many reviews. I’ll watch a couple of shows before boarding.

Last edited:
BroadwayHD Update - From the SeaTac terminal

Caught a unique pro shoot of “I Love You, You’re Perfect, Now Change” from the UK. The show was the last production I was ever in, so it’s special to me. Simply having a pro shoot of a professional production of the show is great, and the overall production is really good.

Also started watching the pro shoot of “Daddy Long Legs,” a fun show that gets no attention.

Here’s the image of the favorites list I made immediately after signing up. There’s about 50-60 things available at the moment. At this point, I definitely think it’s worth $9 a month until you get through what you want.

0DE50291-4BA3-4D43-9E1E-817E9323F3FD.jpg

EDIT - A flight delay let me finish Daddy Long Legs. A delightful little, two-person show with a period-piece story that hasn’t aged all that well but is still sweet. It’s worth watching just to see Megan McGinnis in a true starring role.

Yeah… BroadwayHD is worth it. I can’t watch it on the plane (the app doesn’t include downloading), but I’m a little excited for quarantine.

Last edited:
Currently obsessed with “The Goes Wrong Show.” Take “The Show That Goes Wrong” or “Noises Off,” turn it into a series where each episode is a different, original show, and it becomes one of the funniest things on television. Only season 1 is on BroadwayHD, with season two announced. But that by itself makes BroadwayHD worth trying for theater fans.

Currently obsessed with “The Goes Wrong Show.” Take “The Show That Goes Wrong” or “Noises Off,” turn it into a series where each episode is a different, original show, and it becomes one of the funniest things on television. Only season 1 is on BroadwayHD, with season two announced. But that by itself makes BroadwayHD worth trying for theater fans.
If this is by the “Play That Goes Wrong” team, I’ll absolutely check it out. That play had me absolutely dying in my seat I couldn’t even handle it.

I saw these on Amazon as part of my britbox or acorn subscription, but now appears to be sold under the Broadway hd umbrella. The trial with the tiny court was genius. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The Christmas episode I watched 3 times. Much recommend.

I saw these on Amazon as part of my britbox or acorn subscription, but now appears to be sold under the Broadway hd umbrella. The trial with the tiny court was genius. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. The Christmas episode I watched 3 times. Much recommend.
As good as “A Trial to Watch” is, I think “90 Degrees” and “The Lodge” are my favorites.

I just started watching the Peter Pan special.

EDIT - Season 2 hits next week!

Last edited:
Reactions: Skipper Justin
So, I’ve been re-listening to “Into the Woods” for the first time in twenty years (I’m deeply revisiting Sondheim’s entire oeuvre, obviously). I hadn’t really dived deeply into it since my sophomore year of high school when I was in it.

My god, though. Does that show hit incredibly different when you’re an adult with a wealth of experiences under your belt. As a high schooler, you logically understand the depth of what it’s saying. Years later, it’s like every couplet is a truth-bomb to your soul.

The movie did the show no justice at all.

Reactions: Clive
So, I’ve been re-listening to “Into the Woods” for the first time in twenty years (I’m deeply revisiting Sondheim’s entire oeuvre, obviously). I hadn’t really dived deeply into it since my sophomore year of high school when I was in it.

My god, though. Does that show hit incredibly different when you’re an adult with a wealth of experiences under your belt. As a high schooler, you logically understand the depth of what it’s saying. Years later, it’s like every couplet is a truth-bomb to your soul.

The movie did the show no justice at all.
Speaking of Sondheim and movie musicals based off his work, Spielberg’s West Side Story is getting rave reviews and lots of awards buzz.

It’s currently sitting at 97% on RT with 61 reviews.

So forgot to post my thoughts. Went to the Sept 25th show and was blown away. It was all the original cast minus Patrick Page (who later came back in October). Andre De Shields really does steal the show.
Happy to hear you loved it!

I’m upset I wasn’t over my Covid anxiety enough to see this in Boston. Hope it’s grossing well so I can see it in NY someday. People I know who saw the tour also seemed to enjoy it. Any overall thoughts on the Broadway experience with Covid rn?

Happy to hear you loved it!

I’m upset I wasn’t over my Covid anxiety enough to see this in Boston. Hope it’s grossing well so I can see it in NY someday. People I know who saw the tour also seemed to enjoy it. Any overall thoughts on the Broadway experience with Covid rn?
Through a little mixup (my bf had bought me tickets to surprise me after haunt season, and meanwhile I had already purchased tickets for some friends from out of town. haha) I ended up seeing it twice in Boston, lol. It was really well done! Not quite a replica, for obvious reasons one of the main central stage elements couldn't be replicated in all theaters, so they had a creative set piece work around, but it was beautiful otherwise!

We ended up with the U/S for Hermes the first night, and have to say, I almost preferred their performance to that of the "actual" touring cast Hermes (obviously neither of them can touch Andre, but still they were both great!). Hot take, I really reaaaaaally wish Nicholas Barasch could just take over for Reeve on Broadway. He was a phenomenal Orpheus and Reeve (IMO) has always been the weakest link in that otherwise flawlessly cast show.

As for the COVID precautions, I have been to theaters in Boston and was also lucky enough to get to see Sara Bareilles in Waitress on Broadway, and it was definitely a surreal experience being back in a major theater. Everyone was very respectful of the mask mandates (they did have to have the mask police patrolling the aisles at Intermission, but it was reassuring to see how firm and 0 tolerance they were being). Plenty of sanitizer, etc, but in terms of crowd levels, we were still packed in there like sardines. I kind of wish we had waited in our seats longer for the crowds to clear at the Opera House, because while we were all wearing masks, it was still somewhat of a cattle drive leaving. If crowds (even masked) are still a source of anxiety, I would maybe hold off still.

Unrelated to either of those comments, did anyone catch Annie last night? I was out line dancing, so I was going to try and watch it this weekend! Small clips I've seen look very promising!

Book with our Travel Partners

Latest posts