Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Lower Lot Redesign

U

UniversalFan

the question is, How would you redesign the Lower Lot? The Lower lot just looks like full of soundstages and pavement, how would you redesign the lower lot without moving the rides and demolishing buildings?

Considering how the Lower Lot was originally called the "Studio Center," I don't think there's a need to redesign anything.

I may be in the minority in this, but I love the studio feel. Universal Studios Florida and Universal Studios Japan try so hard to mimic the ambiance in Hollywood, while all we have to do is build structures. Boom. Authentic soundstages and you're in Hollywood.

On a more realistic note, I think they've done all the changes they're going to do for the next five years. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Universal wanted to tinker further with what they have now down there.

See, in Florida and Japan and Singapore, especially Florida and Singapore, they're moving away from the soundstage concepts and making it more fantasy/realistic atmosphere now. That's what I've noticed Jon. Before, Florida was copying our atmosphere. Now with almost all recent additions, they're going the "Disney" way, save for a few soundstages like ET.

As nice as that CAN be, i think in Hollywood it works best if it makes us feel we're in a studio.

The only slight retheme to the lower lot I'd do is based on an idea Ms B had. Every ride on the lower lot is the set of a different film, so in front of each ride, or close to it, I'd have movie props, walk around "directors" "casting" for the ride/movie, etc, and maybe some "soundstage" rigs and lights, etc. To not feel as barren. I'd rename the lower lot "Production Central"

Last edited by a moderator:
See, in Florida and Japan and Singapore, especially Florida and Singapore, they're moving away from the soundstage concepts and making it more fantasy/realistic atmosphere now. That's what I've noticed Jon. Before, Florida was copying our atmosphere. Now with almost all recent additions, they're going the "Disney" way, save for a few soundstages like ET.
I disagree with you on the concept of Florida and Japan. Last time I checked, both still featured a distinctive "soundstage" section within their parks. It may not be all-encompassing, but they still try to play on the backlot feel. Even as you enter Universal Studios Florida, you'll notice that they've kept the soundstage labeling - for better or worse. And Japan still has traces of "soundstage-esque" theming here and there.

Singapore is more akin to Islands of Adventure, and it's an entirely different beast.

Japan definitely still has it. Florida does too, i was just saying that it feels like they're slowly straying away fro the soundstage appearances. I may be wrong though, just an observation.

Although with Transformers getting an actual themed facade unlike us, and them getting a London Potter environment, it still seems like they're kinda moving away from it.

Yeah, I agree. Universal is definitely being proactive, which is fantastic to see.

I just can't believe they're betting so much on one franchise. Harry Potter was a great fit at Islands of Adventure, but at Universal Studios Florida? Hmm. It just seems odd, you know?

But regardless, it's bringing new life in the park. This could be another repeat of Universal's prosperous 90s era.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the thing though, like Potter or not, it's revitalized the ENTIRE resort and it's helping fuel all the other current and rumored projects.

I think it's smart that Universal is adding the London aspect of the Potter universe. Not much to bet on, it has massive world wide appeal. Largest franchise since Star Wars. It will literally connect the two parks! I'm excited :)

^ Excellent point!!! Those two combined would give us a nice space for at least SOME kind of attraction more significant than the Universal Experience. They could make Jurassic Cafe serve both. Panda Express on one side, and the other stuff on the opposite side. And then in the space of Panda and Universal Experience, they could put in a small (wait for it) DARK RIDE! :D

Although, a park like USH does need a Universal Experience type of exhibit. Personally, I'd make a Universal Experience type attraction/exhibit take place of one of the stores in the Upper lot, like the Shrek Store seems like the perfect space!

The mummy definitely needs better themeing....
They could easily fix it. Just redesign the exterior the queue is facing, (meaning where the Gate A Wall is). It just looks like a boring old building. They could easily turn it into hieroglyphs. And the road out on the queue needs to be covered up Mummy Style. And they really have to redo the indoor queue. 

They could easily fix it. Just redesign the exterior the queue is facing, (meaning where the Gate A Wall is). It just looks like a boring old building. They could easily turn it into hieroglyphs. And the road out on the queue needs to be covered up Mummy Style. And they really have to redo the indoor queue. 
I think the exterior queue could look a bit better even if there were a simple wall like this with hieroglyphs.

8559591-fragment-of-the-egyptian-wall.jpg

I don't see them redoing the indoor queue, but it could've been done so much better. Look at the Indiana Jones queue. It's so detailed....

Anyways, i personally wish that they could retheme the entire outside of the building to not look like a soundstage. Im not saying enclose it in a pyramid facade, but the walls should be better themed and they should enclose the whole outdoor queue.