Magic Kingdom Speedway Review | Inside Universal Forums

Magic Kingdom Speedway Review

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

SeventyOne

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2010
Orlando
Probably the least sexy review I ever post, but arguably the most relevant. Stopped by the newly renovated Speedway this evening after a night at the monorail resorts.

Outside, little new. Hess truck murals painted over, but same look, same number of pumps. They did add four outdoor metal tables, but they're right on the lot, overlooking the fleet pumps. Not the ideal location for a bucolic picnic.

Inside, store completely overhauled. It's cleaner--both in terms of cleanliness, and overall design. Less cluttered than before. The back half has been turned into an ersatz WaWa. Six touchscreens where you order subs, burgers, dogs, specialty coffee, even breakfast sandwiches (midnight to noon). Fairly generic food--no longer Quiznos in everything but name--but the steak & cheese I had was certainly edible. Not great, but not looking for great at 12:30 when you've been drinking. Everything made to order, no more rollers.

Rest of the store feels like an ersatz RaceTrac. Huge row of frozen drinks dominates. Also have froyo and one of those milkshake machines (with a full size refrigerator worth of flavors). Everything open like Speedway as well, with racks I could easily see over.

Prices are ridiculously cheap. They're running a special on 12" subs--$4. Even regular price was cheaper than WaWa or Subway. Can get two breakfast sandwiches for $4 and change--about what Mickey Ds gets on special. The Little Debbies marked 50 cents? Cost 50 cents. Remember that next time you're in Main Street Bakery, or walk off the monorail and are tempted to drop $8 on a donut and a coffee.

Overall, not bad as gas stations go. Still would've preferred a real WaWa. But a step up from the re-branded Hess.