Mardi Gras 2015 | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

Mardi Gras 2015

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Thought she did a great job, we had a lot of fun on Saturday.

One thing of note we were in the Monster Cafe alley trying to listen to it and couldn't hear anything but bass. Decided to walk around backside of Transformers to see if it was any better on the other side (trying to walk around the front was a nightmare). Got over to the Transformers side and they weren't letting anyone in because the area was at capacity. Luckily we explained that we were already in there just trying to get a better spot and they let us in.

Interesting survey re: Mardi Gras Saturday night. 80% what you'd expect, but a couple tidbits:

* Specifically asked "Were these the same floats as last year?" [Paraphrasing but that was the gist.] Followed up by, "how important are new floats every year?"

* Of the potential bad issues I may have faced, one was "aggressive bead throwing." Apparently there have been complaints?

* The big one: discussing future plans, sounds very much like an attempt to turn Mardi Gras into "Universal's Food & Wine Festival." Would have events with food/music from Brazil's Carnival, and other Fat Tuesday celebrations in Italy, Sweden and Germany. Stressed food would be sold, and asked if I'd been to Food & Wine or any of a dozen similar events. Again, my take-away was a smaller (for now) variation on EPCOT.

Just points for discussion. Not sure how I feel about the last one.

Interesting survey re: Mardi Gras Saturday night. 80% what you'd expect, but a couple tidbits:

* Specifically asked "Were these the same floats as last year?" [Paraphrasing but that was the gist.] Followed up by, "how important are new floats every year?"

* Of the potential bad issues I may have faced, one was "aggressive bead throwing." Apparently there have been complaints?

* The big one: discussing future plans, sounds very much like an attempt to turn Mardi Gras into "Universal's Food & Wine Festival." Would have events with food/music from Brazil's Carnival, and other Fat Tuesday celebrations in Italy, Sweden and Germany. Stressed food would be sold, and asked if I'd been to Food & Wine or any of a dozen similar events. Again, my take-away was a smaller (for now) variation on EPCOT.

Just points for discussion. Not sure how I feel about the last one.

I was asked that last one in a survey months ago...

To add to the last prior 2 posts here, Universal's latest APH survey seems to allude to them wanting to make Mardi Gras an add on event, similar to HHN. The majority of the questions on the survey revolve around which pass type you'd buy if you rewnewed and had to pay, with Mardi Gras and the Christmas concerts blocked out, unless you bought a more expensive pass.

From Screamscape.......a new Mardis Grass app.

" New app unlocks new levels of Mardi Gras fun With the all-new Mardi Guide App, each night of Mardi Gras, guests can choose from one of four unique “Party Paths” that will lead them on a fun adventure to different Mardi Gras Party Zones where special beacons zap cool virtual beads to their phone. More about those cool beacons later.
Once guests select the party path they like the most, the good times really start to roll. One path leads guests through different music-themed venues including live music in the French Quarter, the main concert, a music-filled ride on Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit® and more. Another path steers them to delicious places to eat—including the event’s Cajun cuisine, a special Mardi Gras dessert created by the chef at The Kitchen restaurant in Hard Rock Hotel® and more. Guests with kids will love the Family Fun path that leads to fun for all ages like tasty treats in the French Quarter and the best parade viewing spot for little ones.
While everyone enjoying a date night will find themselves guided toward romance with stops in places like Emeril’s Restaurant Orlando, The Velvet Bar® at Hard Rock Hotel® and more. The more spots they visit on their path, the more beads they get. When they visit all the spots on their path, they collect a digital doubloon. Plus, throughout the night, surprise bonus beads could fly their way anytime—there’s even a secret prize that moves around every night.
Now about those beacons. They’re not just locked in special locations. Some actually move along with the parade and send out special content tied to the floats. So all the parade-watching guests can unlock one of the coolest features of the Mardi Guide App—virtual picture frames custom-designed for each float. As the floats pass by, a unique frame automatically pops up in the app so guests can grab a selfie, group pics of the fun with a cool new Universal Mardi Gras twist. The app makes it easy to grab a pic, share it and tag it with #UniversalMardiGras—so everyone can join in the Mardi Gras party."