Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I actually consider myself one that loves the ride, so...now I'm wondering if I'm like the only one here that does for that matter.
Love the Q

The ride is great, I’d just change a few of the rooms themes but overall

It’s a great dark ride and the game is fun but I don’t need to play it every time. Sometimes I just ride or like a classic dark ride and enjoy it that way

I find Toy Story Mania way more addicting and fun tbh. I get HEATED on that ride as you're directly competing with the person next to you and the experience is very focused. You're not going to get on Toy Story Mania and be confused on what you're supposed to do. It has a low barrier to entry but a high skill ceiling. Mario Kart has a high bar to entry and a high(?) skill ceiling (that's less rewarding imo). Toy Story Mania gives me way more dopamine.

Toy Story Mania gives the illusion of chaos. Mario Kart is just straight-up chaos.

Last edited:
I find Toy Story Mania way more addicting and fun tbh. I get HEATED on that ride as you're directly competing with the person next to you and the experience is very focused. You're not going to get on Toy Story Mania and be confused on what you're supposed to do. It has a low barrier to entry but a high skill ceiling. Mario Kart has a high bar to entry and a high(?) skill ceiling (that's less rewarding imo). Toy Story Mania gives me way more dopamine.

Toy Story Mania gives the illusion of chaos. Mario Kart is just straight-up chaos.
Toy Story mania is by far my favors theme park game

But MK can be ridden like a dark ride and still be great.

I also think the secrets in MK are very cool but yeah Toy Story as a game is still the king

I get that. I’m insanely competitive at times so I do kind of love that feature on Buzz and TSMM. I’m probably in a minority but I prefer Buzz and Mario Kart over TSMM in terms of ride experience.

I’ve only ridden MK once and wasn’t in love with it (I’m sure it can grow on me) but I’ll say that I left the attraction feeling like I was really immersed in the brand. I also basically just let myself go and have a good time on the ride since I’d seen so many mixed reviews here and elsewhere so maybe that’s part of why I enjoyed it so much haha

The issue for me is the AR is almost a double edged sword. It enhances so much of the attraction and adds an element of interactivity, but it can (not always tho) detract from the overall experience as well.

I actually consider myself one that loves the ride, so...now I'm wondering if I'm like the only one here that does for that matter.
For me I'm with you. I absolutely love the ride. I usually get a ride in or two everytime I visit the park.
mario kart GIF

For the record, TSMM is also good, my only complaint is that the control scheme; my hand tires out easily from the way you fire in the game, so while I still have fun, I don't feel super motivated to go for the high scores, especially when I've now learned there's a skill ceiling to even that ride, god damn. Haven't ridden Buzz Astro Blasters in ages but I wonder if I might have better aim once I do go on it again as someone who loves House of The Dead, which is a rail shooter arcade game.

That said, it does feel nice that firing in MK is with the press of a button.

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
For the record, TSMM is also good, my only complaint is that the control scheme; my hand tires out easily from the way you fire in the game, so while I still have fun, I don't feel super motivated to go for the high scores, especially when I've now learned there's a skill ceiling to even that ride, god damn. Haven't ridden Buzz Astro Blasters in ages but I wonder if I might have better aim once I do go on it again as someone who loves House of The Dead, which is a rail shooter arcade game.

That said, it does feel nice that firing in MK is with the press of a button.
The pullstring is apart of why I love it so much. I can't really explain it, but I feel like I get more direct feeback from pulling a string than I do pressing a button. It feels like I'm really launching whatever projectile I'm using into the 3D space. It's partially why I get heated in that game, haha. Who can pull the string the best?

There's also a strategy on how to pull to make it not only easier to shoot but also at a faster firing rate (it's all in the wrist).

There's also the "rare" broken pullstrings where if you keep holding the it back, it'll fire automatically.

Last edited:
We rode again for the first time since opening month recently.
I'll definitely say they ironed out a lot of the tracking issues and buttons being broken/stuck.
Was a much more enjoyable experience and we felt that the AR did actually add something to the experience.
If the tracking is even a little bit off though, it does ruin the experience and makes the AR seem sort of pointless and thats where the problem lies. It was also considerably blurry the first time we rode.

I do wish they would add a "Wario" cap too as I unfortunately have a pretty big head and the cap just barely fits me. :\

We rode again for the first time since opening month recently.
I'll definitely say they ironed out a lot of the tracking issues and buttons being broken/stuck.
Was a much more enjoyable experience and we felt that the AR did actually add something to the experience.
If the tracking is even a little bit off though, it does ruin the experience and makes the AR seem sort of pointless and thats where the problem lies. It was also considerably blurry the first time we rode.

I do wish they would add a "Wario" cap too as I unfortunately have a pretty big head and the cap just barely fits me. :\
Having long hair also sucks, it always feels lose or too tight

Reactions: ParkExplorer9513
did a few rides recently and it has been since previews that I was on it last. It's a decent ride but not worth waiting 3 hours for. I waited 40 min and 13 min on my last 2 rides in single rider. I just feel it doesn't pay off the Mario Kart experience. I think the slow moving and spinning makes the ride feel clunky. I have no issue with the AR or the play. Just feels slow.

did a few rides recently and it has been since previews that I was on it last. It's a decent ride but not worth waiting 3 hours for. I waited 40 min and 13 min on my last 2 rides in single rider. I just feel it doesn't pay off the Mario Kart experience. I think the slow moving and spinning makes the ride feel clunky. I have no issue with the AR or the play. Just feels slow.
I think the form they went with would be much better-suited to just an all-encompassing Super Mario ride, rather than specifically Mario Kart.

It's a good dark ride with some really cool environments, but it does not deliver on the promise that a Mario Kart ride probably needs to keep.

As for the "Toy Story Mania vs. Mario Kart" debate... it's not even close for me. The winner is Mario Kart, if for no other reason than there's actually a lot of real stuff to look at throughout the attraction, not just straight, barely-themed hallways housing a bunch of screens.

This ride system is using the wrong theme. If this was a Luigi's Mansion ride but with the same exact ride system, this would had been a SLAM DUNK.

I am so sad we'll probably never get that, as that very well could've killed Toy Story Mania for me.

But in its current state, if I want a good shooter, I'd rather ride Toy Story Mania or Men in Black because better gameplay. If I want a good dark ride, I'd rather ride The Secret Life of Pets or ET because better storytelling. Mario Kart wants to have its cake and eat it too, and it just doesn't work for me. It's doing too much.

Last edited:
Men in Black remains undefeated in the theme park shooter category, and I don't expect it to ever truly be challenged (because what makes it special -- a full commitment to fully-realized targets in fully-realized environments -- is not in vogue anymore).

If I want a good dark ride, I'd rather ride The Secret Life of Pets or ET because better storytelling.
I feel like it kind of comes across like a huge slam against Mario Kart (which I don't intend) to say I agree... but I agree.

If you told me I could only ride SLOP or MK, I'd probably pick SLOP. But I think they're both good rides, and USH is lucky to have them both as domestic exclusives (for now).

I'd also choose E.T. over both, but that shouldn't surprise anybody!

Men in Black remains undefeated in the theme park shooter category, and I don't expect it to ever truly be challenged (because what makes it special -- a full commitment to fully-realized targets in fully-realized environments -- is not in vogue anymore).

I feel like it kind of comes across like a huge slam against Mario Kart (which I don't intend) to say I agree... but I agree.

If you told me I could only ride SLOP or MK, I'd probably pick SLOP. But I think they're both good rides, and USH is lucky to have them both as domestic exclusives (for now).

I'd also choose E.T. over both, but that shouldn't surprise anybody!
ET is the king of dark rides.

Reactions: Jamesh22
Mario Kart had a 5 minute wait the other day. It was so empty that I got to loop the ride, ahaha. Rode it seven times.

Kind of getting sick of my band not scanning though. It feels like a complete game of chance if I'll be able to sync my band with the ride or not :^/

Also, the wear on the Mario emblem (M) looks pretty bad on most of the vehicles I rode in. Additionally, one of the vehicles had black electrical tape used on one of the speakers and it looked kind of hokey.

Last edited:
:eek:

Whoa, was it a weekday? I know USH always has experienced a drop off in attendance from mid January through early April. But if it might be like that, imma have to head over next week.
Yeah, it was yesterday (Tuesday). At one point, SNW was almost completely empty. Played all the power up band challenges with zero wait. If you want to ride Mario Kart with basically zero wait, now is the time to go.