Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Mario Kart: Bowser's Challenge - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It pretty much had a 20 minute wait posted but was a walk-on all day. I think they stopped checking colors as early as noon, as they still let me on even after it was past noon. And yeah, they were indeed letting you go again with how much of a walk-on it was. Spent all those re-rides achievement hunting and I now have all the Mario Kart stamps, which is nuts.

It's probably going to be a long as hell time before we can probably get something like that again so I'm really glad I took advantage of that.

I also managed to get a score of 226 and made the top ten of the leaderboard, which was really nice. In the process and also hearing from another guest who also got a high score, I learned some additional tips if you're also shooting for high scores as well in the future.
  • When you get a drift, hold the drift until the next one or you hear a longer coin sound. This should be easy to pick up on if you've played Mario Kart 8 before. I think you get like 5 coins each on the first ones for example.
  • Try and land three hits on one of the Koopalings whenever they appear, this will cause them to spin out and you get a coin bonus for doing it.
  • As mentioned above, Rainbow Road's your best shot to fire away at the Koopalings, but if you're going for the zero hits on Team Mario achievement, I'd also be careful once it reaches the part where Team Mario comes in. That being said, be really careful with your shots if you're going for that achievement in general, as if you miss, a shell could ricochet and hit a Team Mario character and I think I missed the achievement because of it a few times. It'd also be good to know when Team Mario characters show up, as I kept accidentally hitting Yoshi on the right Kart path (right before the Dolphin Shoals/Water section) a couple of times because he moves in front of you after two Koopalings come into view. That said, I think I had an easier time with the left path.

As a couple of side notes, one time Team Bowser won despite how I had 160-ish coins and was the only one in the RV. Wonder if it's a bug or I didn't shoot him enough in the final section. I think it's the former. Also, I think I've picked up on if you get 150 coins or more (at least that's how it was when I was on my own, so maybe the average needs to be that with multiple people), there's a slight change to the Team Mario ending: Rather than Mario being on the podium, a giant version of the Universal Cup trophy is there instead, which is interesting.
Idk if this is known as well, you can just stare at the boos, and you get a coin.

Something I noticed while riding later in day is the amount of fingerprints and smudges that accumulate on the AR visors, sort of hindering your view of the ride and quality of the AR. Not sure of a good fix for this other than wiping them down 2 or 3 times a day.
Wait until that clear plastic degrades and scratches !

Hello!
I've been lurking for the past few years but something's been on my mind about the preshows especially.

(EDIT: I decided to research this further and I found a video with that part of the preshow! Looks like I did miss it! Disregard my question completely!)

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Does anybody know if you have to wait through the regular line if you have someone in a wheelchair with you?

Do we know what the trick is to get the Start Bonus Coin? Its the one thing I can't find online or figure out on my own.

A TM told me you get it by pressing both buttons at 0 on the countdown. I never got to try it myself to confirm though.
I'll try, I've hot the buttons on 3...2...1...and go but maybe that messes it up and its only on zero
It's actually by holding the buttons when the countdown hits "2", just like how you get a boost start in Mario Kart games. I guess my lifelong history with Mario games made that easy for me to figure out. XD

Last edited:
It's actually by holding the buttons when the countdown hits "2", just like how you get a boost start in Mario Kart games. I guess my lifelong history with Mario games made that easy for me to figure out. XD

I tried that like five times and couldn’t get it to work! That’s when I decided to ask around and the TM mentioned that. He said you’d expect it to be at 2 like the game, but it’s 0 for some reason. I’m so confused now haha…

So I finally rode Mario Kart like 3 weeks ago.
Cool ride but I felt the AR was very blurry, didn't track well, and obstructed my vision/view of the ride more-so than adding anything to it. It seemed like the AR just wasn't aligned well either with what I was looking at. I have a pretty big head unfortunately so maybe the AR just doesn't accommodate my head size as I'm only able to get maybe one click in with the ca before it's super tight.
It doesn't really go any further than just above my eyebrows. Now, to be fair, the ride was down for 30 mins prior to riding so maybe it was just glitching out? There were some light handprints on the visor but does it matter that much?

Anybody else have this issue or am I just one of those guests that the cap doesn't accommodate and should ride without AR next time?
That would be a huge bummer because that means I can't get all of the stamps. Is there a consumer version of the cap that maybe I could purchase for myself?

Cool ride but I felt the AR was very blurry, didn't track well, and obstructed my vision/view of the ride more-so than adding anything to it. It seemed like the AR just wasn't aligned well either with what I was looking at. I have a pretty big head unfortunately so maybe the AR just doesn't accommodate my head size as I'm only able to get maybe one click in with the ca before it's super tight.
It doesn't really go any further than just above my eyebrows. Now, to be fair, the ride was down for 30 mins prior to riding so maybe it was just glitching out? There were some light handprints on the visor but does it matter that much?

Anybody else have this issue or am I just one of those guests that the cap doesn't accommodate and should ride without AR next time?
That would be a huge bummer because that means I can't get all of the stamps. Is there a consumer version of the cap that maybe I could purchase for myself?
It happened to me once when my aim was wayyyy off

Also when I go if I go on it more then once, its one ride with AR and one without AR and its still a fun dark ride

I've ridden it close to a dozen times now -- 8 or 9 or so? -- and I've only used the AR three times. I used it the first two times, and then again on my most recent visit to make sure I prefer it without the AR, and I do 100000%. Unfortunately not using them removes the context for certain features, but there's an excellent dark ride hidden beneath all that blurry chaos that's way, way more enjoyable IMO. When you lose the AR distractions and just enjoy the ride, it's a far more pleasurable experience.

I've ridden it close to a dozen times now -- 8 or 9 or so? -- and I've only used the AR three times. I used it the first two times, and then again on my most recent visit to make sure I prefer it without the AR, and I do 100000%. Unfortunately not using them removes the context for certain features, but there's an excellent dark ride hidden beneath all that blurry chaos that's way, way more enjoyable IMO. When you lose the AR distractions and just enjoy the ride, it's a far more pleasurable experience.
Got it, I'll try it that way next time. I did also find that I couldn't really understand what was going on with the AR.
Good to know it's not just me. Do the characters show up in the ride video as well? The ride's screens looked pretty high quality but I don't remember if I saw characters on the actual screens or not.

Weirdly enough, I think it's the opposite for me. Flukes aside I really enjoy the interactivity of the ride that it's hard for me to consider not putting on the visor. Though now that I have all the stamps, I should consider giving no AR a go next time.

Got it, I'll try it that way next time. I did also find that I couldn't really understand what was going on with the AR.
Good to know it's not just me. Do the characters show up in the ride video as well? The ride's screens looked pretty high quality but I don't remember if I saw characters on the actual screens or not.
I think they do. Also, next time you do AR, perhaps try loosening the cap as much as possible before putting it on? When the ride broke down and line stalled when I last went, I decided to take an extensive look at the cap out of boredom, and I noticed that it seems they can be loosed even more than how they are when they first give them to you. Also remembering that one tip for a better vision of the AR, you essentially want to have the rubber part of the cap covering your eyebrows. I've had a much better time with the AR since. That said, I don't think they do offer a consumer version.

Yeah, they do! Really the only thing that makes it weird are the physical features triggered by the AR. Like it's a little weird to be going along and then just randomly start spinning, where if you had the AR you'd know it was the Piranha Plant shooting fire at you -- that kinda thing. But for me, I get a lot more pleasure from seeing the physical environments rather than having to make heads or tails of all the AR, which has never been anything but disorienting for me, TBH.

I also think it comes down to how much you care about the gamification of it all. I mostly find it tedious, although the games are fun if you don't have to wait in a long line. But I'm not in pursuit of stamps or anything like that, so the AR is doubly unappealing in that way.

I'm at the park now, and Mario Kart was showing a 120 minute wait when I started down the StarWay.

Got in the Single Rider line and it stopped outside the front of the castle. Waited about five or ten minutes, but the line barely budged during that time. I gave up to do something else.

The park is definitely busier than when I was here last week. Probably some schools in California or out of state are on spring break this week.