Mass WDI Layoffs | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

Mass WDI Layoffs

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
That's because contractors know they can overcharge Dis and spread out their projects and DIS won't do anything about it.

Hmmm... and the info I know from UC is that they are pr*cks. Their contracts are harsh and they do press them in bad situations, almost to the point of severe and unreasonable. The price-tag will be held at all costs at UC.

Reactions: SkiBum
Hmmm... and the info I know from UC is that they are pr*cks. Their contracts are harsh and they do press them in bad situations, almost to the point of severe and unreasonable. The price-tag will be held at all costs at UC.

It seems to get the job done and within budget, though. I don't like the severe and unreasonable part, though, as one can burn some bridges with contractors (unless money talks loud enough). Still, the theme park industry is pretty difficult and UC probably doesn't want to have rides be delayed or run way over.

It seems to get the job done and within budget, though. I don't like the severe and unreasonable part, though, as one can burn some bridges with contractors (unless money talks loud enough). Still, the theme park industry is pretty difficult and UC probably doesn't want to have rides be delayed or run way over.

Well, it sharpens a vendor to contest a contract and still keep the costs low. If Nassal or Valley Crest screws up, a good contract will not make it your small business delay. Otherwise, Universal will make it your problem... because they ain't going after Nassal or Valley Crest. They know they will need them in the future. It's all very harsh and hinky.

That's because contractors know they can overcharge Dis and spread out their projects and DIS won't do anything about it.
There's a word for that.
Suckers.jpg

Reactions: SkiBum
The issue is that Disney uses an integrated project delivery system, so contractors inflate their rates to not take any loss or to make more money

Last edited:
This Orlando Sentinel article says the Imagineering division employs 1700. First time I have seen a number.

Disney lays off Imagineers - Orlando Sentinel
I stumbled across this thread, and wanted to point out that since this story broke, WDI has grown like a weed. WDI now employs more than 3,000 people. Also, a lot more people will be stationed in Florida in the future. Hence the big WDI office expansion backstage at Epcot and the STOLport trailer yard expansion.