Masters of the Universe (2019) | Inside Universal Forums

Masters of the Universe (2019)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 13, 2015
Celebration, FL
http://www.hemanworld.com/2018/02/david-goyer-passes-directing-masters-universe/

Just thought I would start this conversation since I haven’t seen anything posted in here. So, Sony made the bold move to announce the release date for MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie on (Wednesday) December 18, 2019, two days before Episode IX.

I know this could go either way, but for what I am understanding Sony will be losing the rights of the IP at the end of December 2019… which to me, it’s kind of a flashback to Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman situation.

What it’s getting me excited about this news, is the fact that there’s movement within this plot. David S. Goyer just stepped down from directing the movie this month (Feb 2018) after writing a rough script for the movie, which for what I am understanding Sony was happy with. Goyer reason was too busy with other projects… I think that was a great thing to happen, since I feel this project needs the full attention from a director and not a multi-tasking one.

I’m a Generation X guy, and my top 3 IP toys in the 80s were Star Wars, He-Man, and MASK among many others. I think this is a great time for Sony to bring this IP back to life and compete head on with Disney-Lucasfilm as Mattel did with Kenner back in the 80s. Especially now that Star Wars has lost a big chunk of the Generation X support due to poor writing, lack of respect, and attacks to their original fans. This news finally gave me a choice and something to look forward to, after the void created by TLJ. All I hope is for Sony to focus on a good and deep plot and not focus exclusively on FX and action (all movies got that).

So just wanted to put it out there. Hopefully someone here has more information and also I wonder if any of you think (if successful) there might be a possible interest from UO since I suppose they still have some kind of partnership with Sony due to the Spiderman Ride.

Someone described MOTU in YouTube as LOTR meets SW, and that’s pretty accurate. Where can you find a strong IP that brings medieval sword fighting, sorcery and laser blasters all in one? Besides I would not mind turning Poseidon’ s Fury building into Castle Grayskull…. Now that’s a Kodak moment!

http://www.hemanworld.com/2018/02/david-goyer-passes-directing-masters-universe/

Just thought I would start this conversation since I haven’t seen anything posted in here. So, Sony made the bold move to announce the release date for MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE movie on (Wednesday) December 18, 2019, two days before Episode IX.

I know this could go either way, but for what I am understanding Sony will be losing the rights of the IP at the end of December 2019… which to me, it’s kind of a flashback to Spiderman 3 and The Amazing Spiderman situation.

What it’s getting me excited about this news, is the fact that there’s movement within this plot. David S. Goyer just stepped down from directing the movie this month (Feb 2018) after writing a rough script for the movie, which for what I am understanding Sony was happy with. Goyer reason was too busy with other projects… I think that was a great thing to happen, since I feel this project needs the full attention from a director and not a multi-tasking one.

I’m a Generation X guy, and my top 3 IP toys in the 80s were Star Wars, He-Man, and MASK among many others. I think this is a great time for Sony to bring this IP back to life and compete head on with Disney-Lucasfilm as Mattel did with Kenner back in the 80s. Especially now that Star Wars has lost a big chunk of the Generation X support due to poor writing, lack of respect, and attacks to their original fans. This news finally gave me a choice and something to look forward to, after the void created by TLJ. All I hope is for Sony to focus on a good and deep plot and not focus exclusively on FX and action (all movies got that).

So just wanted to put it out there. Hopefully someone here has more information and also I wonder if any of you think (if successful) there might be a possible interest from UO since I suppose they still have some kind of partnership with Sony due to the Spiderman Ride.

Someone described MOTU in YouTube as LOTR meets SW, and that’s pretty accurate. Where can you find a strong IP that brings medieval sword fighting, sorcery and laser blasters all in one? Besides I would not mind turning Poseidon’ s Fury building into Castle Grayskull…. Now that’s a Kodak moment!

While I'm interested from a nostalgia standpoint, putting it the same window as SW is a horrible idea. SW is going to do $200+ million opening weekend regardless how poorly the last one was received. Frozen 2 and, to an extent, Wonder Woman 2 will still be doing decent numbers at this point as well. There just isn't enough screens. A week after SW and maybe it has a Jumanji effect, but the same weekend is just crazy.