Mega Movie Parade | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Mega Movie Parade

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The ET bike with Elliot was stationery, but appears it can move up or down.

Initial Thoughts by Float Unit:
  • Back to the Future - great, could have used fog/steam coming out of it for some kinectic energy... but a great first float for the parade.
  • Sing... eh
  • Minions... surprisingly lackluster? Was expecting for them to have a better presence, feels cheap and don't move too much unfortunately (imagine it's related to weather).
  • Kung Fu Panda... ok float, but similar to Minions they just remained stationery
  • Trolls...
  • Ghostbusters - great, just missing Ecto-1 and it'll be perfect
  • E.T. - ok, would just add some fog effects in the forest
  • Jaws - best unit
  • Jurassic Park... prefect

Not to compare and cause a versus Disney debate here, but Festival of Fantasy has a lot kinetic from the floats and special effects like fire/fog/bubbles to give it more life.

Throughout the entire parade, most characters on floats are just standing there, not moving much, hoping that's a result of rain.

Parade also moves at a snails pace (I'd imagine it's more about some of the sharp turns it has to make) with large gaps in between units.

Outside the Mayor/Brody and Ghostbusters unit, there's no characters that get close to you. There really should be more characters (like Minions) that are on the street itself and approach you.

Parade Ops:
  • Outside of the parade running at a snails pace, there is virtually no crowd flow management happening. There are a few areas people try to walk through and people get very frustrated. (The walkay across Mel's between Central Park and Transformers to name a few). It's nothing new, but something that needs to change with how busy the parks have become.
  • I wish they can give the ops teams a more colurful/themed costume to wear that isn't just a standard polo.

Who cares?? Add Harry Potter and Beetlejuice into the parade. They’re missing out

Doc and Marty do need more banter, E.T needs pedaling, where is Gru? And there is of course a missing Ecto-1 but the ghostbuster characters are doing a great job. But otherwise is a very good job!
I just found it odd to promote a film from another studio while ignoring things like Shrek and classic monsters among others. I mean why call it Universal Mega Movie parade - just call it The Mega Movie parade :D

• Sad
Reactions: Lucky Planet
Or the Ops Should wear black. They are stagehands, and while Character Ops should be visible, these should blend into to the background. Or be themed, as suggested.

I wonder why universal needs so many walking directly with each and every float? I feel like Disney has two crew members walking every few sections, but not an army of them walking directly beside each float. Seemed odd.

Reactions: merlin0402
It did seem like BTTF would’ve been a perfect opportunity to include cowboys, greasers and futuristic citizens as the dancers. A driving delorean would also be a cherry on top, they ain’t hard to come by unlike the Ghostbusters Cadillac.
I just found it odd to promote a film from another studio while ignoring things like Shrek and classic monsters among others. I mean why call it Universal Mega Movie parade - just call it The Mega Movie parade :D
its inside the Universal park, and it’s a parade, I just really want other additions like the aforementioned Potter and Beetlejuice (this would be an absolutely sick float, Sandworm, cemetery and house)

And you’re right, I would’ve swapped Sing for Shrek and added the UCM. But they’re getting a whole land!

Reactions: Disneyson1
I'm just not the audience for parades (I don't quite "get" them in terms of appeal, and never did even as a kid), and nothing I've seen of this one would change that.

Many of the floats are very nice, though. Especially the JAWS one.
I am the audience for parades I love them, and this one could be great, " could" still be great, but it's missing something for repeat views.
the floats are amazing, but technically I would only wanna see 3 floats again out of the whole thing.
Most of the floats are really lacking any kinetic energy at all. Feels like most of the time I’m looking at a wax Museum on wheels. There’s exceptions, sure, but it all seems so lifeless and uninspired.

But I will save any more criticism until every float is there and everything is working.
wax museum is a good way to put it. which is technically beautiful to look at. the actors do seem kind of awkward specially the E.T. ones lol

My prediction:

A month from now, it turns out that there's a lot more kinetic moving effects and other effects in general - and people on here will mostly love it.
Eh. My issues with it are more fundamental design questions about some specific floats, and those questions REALLY bother me. (Lead float aside, it bothers me that the Delorean and the Orca are weirdly moving backwards through the parade).

Kinetics would help the overall enjoyment of the parade. Based on what’s there, I don’t see a lot on these floats that *should* be kinetic that isn’t.

It’s just… sterile. And I was REALLY excited to see this.

So my friend who is GP watched this on opening day and loved it. So my guess is GP won't care about the small things. She said yes the floats are static but the people on the floats made it really enjoyable and she loved how it was so many classic movies she grew up with.

Reactions: Mad Dog
So my friend who is GP watched this on opening day and loved it. So my guess is GP won't care about the small things. She said yes the floats are static but the people on the floats made it really enjoyable and she loved how it was so many classic movies she grew up with.
and, with more floats coming, and some better choreography and better cast enthusiasm, it should only get better. I'm sure Universal will get feedback and do some staff enhancements to fix issues. Those are pretty easy fixes.....and it is in 'technical' phase and the floats were behind the expected completion date.

Universal Orlando has debuted the Mega Movie Parade at Universal Studios Florida under technical rehearsals.