Mel’s Drive-In Refurb | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Mel’s Drive-In Refurb

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oh man, how I wish this was open a few days back when a friend and I were looking for something to eat at USF!

I'll admit that I'm not a foodie when it comes to theme parks. When I'm walking around in the Florida sun for an entire day, I wanna know what I'm getting into and leave the restaurant feeling full, so simple diner offerings like burgers and tenders are great. I'm not a fan of the offerings at Richters or Krusty, so this is great to see return. We ended up taking the Hogwarts Train over to Thunder Falls instead which is also consistently wonderful, but Mels is gonna return to being my go-to whenever I'm not wanting the Minions Meatball plate at USF.

Looks like a twister is headed to Universal... probably the cow delivery service for fresh beef burgers!

I really do love that Universal seems to be leaning into nostalgia more than ever. The rumors of the Mega Movie Parade, the Flux Capacitors on the back of the Starfall Racer vehicles, the Holiday tribute store last year that had a million small nods to older attractions, up and including an actual (potentially unlicensed) Ghostbusters logo. It really feels like Universal is working hard to build a brand based around it's own classic and retired IP, which really gives USF it's own charm and importance. It was the first park at the resort, and as such it's a celebration of everything USO has ever offered. That's a fun hook.

Question of you genuine curiosity. Wife wanted a milkshake Saturday, got two at Richters for the first time in two decades. It wasn't a milkshake, it was straight up soft-serve ice cream. Are these actual milkshakes?

Article time! Universal Orlando has reopened Mel’s Drive-In at Universal Studios Florida with a completely new look and a new menu.

I really do love that Universal seems to be leaning into nostalgia more than ever. The rumors of the Mega Movie Parade, the Flux Capacitors on the back of the Starfall Racer vehicles, the Holiday tribute store last year that had a million small nods to older attractions, up and including an actual (potentially unlicensed) Ghostbusters logo. It really feels like Universal is working hard to build a brand based around it's own classic and retired IP, which really gives USF it's own charm and importance. It was the first park at the resort, and as such it's a celebration of everything USO has ever offered. That's a fun hook.
I hope it keeps building and building into either a classic property making a significant return in a new form (maybe Ghostbusters?) or a crossover attraction that covers a lot of retires IP (Great Movie Ride-ish.)

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here and these ideas are beat to death on the forums, but I really think this is the point we're kind of building towards, especially if the new parade, nighttime show, and Dark Universe are popular.

I hope it keeps building and building into either a classic property making a significant return in a new form (maybe Ghostbusters?) or a crossover attraction that covers a lot of retires IP (Great Movie Ride-ish.)

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here and these ideas are beat to death on the forums, but I really think this is the point we're kind of building towards, especially if the new parade, nighttime show, and Dark Universe are popular.
It happens to line up exactly with what the hardcore fans are clamoring for, so I think people (myself included at some points) write off the idea as wishful thinking. But honestly The Great Movie Ride E-Ticket idea just kind of feels like a natural progression of what is already happening at USF currently.

Walking down Hollywood Blvd and seeing Beetlejuice, the Simpsons, the Mystery Gang, Puss in Boots, and Marilyn Monroe all in the same sightline. Horror Nights Entrance zones with the Shining Twins, Amanda from Saw, Purgers all scaring together. Tribute Stores where Whoville, Hogwarts, and Springfield are all sending letters to Santa.

As opposed to IoA or Epic, where every property is self-contained and the happenings in Jurassic Park don't matter to Seuss Landing, USF is a connected Studio set where all of these wildly different properties can intertwine. They've got attractions representing Adventure, Sci-Fi, Family, Animation, Horror, Comedy, Fantasy, from TV to Film to Music. Bringing all of that together in a singular attraction would cement a really wonderful thesis for the OG park. Plus a scene of Jaws or Kong attacking the ride vehicle would make the oldheads pretty happy too haha! And I'll just say that the Supercharged showbuilding is smack dab in the center of the park and rather large.:eyes:

Whoops, Mels!! Excited to check that out! :lmao: As much as I like the soft-serve at Captain America Diner, it's good that it's an actual milkshake here if only for the sake of honesty haha.

Article time! Universal Orlando has reopened Mel’s Drive-In at Universal Studios Florida with a completely new look and a new menu.

Are the pies new? They sound pretty good to me.

Tried this tonight. Their operations are horrible. I ordered 1 cheeseburger plain with Milkshake, 2 plain chicken sandwiches with milkshake, and 2 big boppers no milkshake. The first issue was the guy making the shakes his ticket had 2 of the 3 milkshakes on it. He was missing the lone one with the cheeseburger. After looking at the receipt he then almost gave me an extra one which I later realized why. The taste of the milkshakes was decent and I would order milkshakes again. The wait for them was also not bad.

Waiting for the food they call my name after a decent wait for her to ask me about one of the burgers because the normal cheeseburger gets cut off?!? So she didn't know what should be on it. So I said it was plain. Then looking at my receipt I realize it has the two big boppers, onion rings, then cheese for 1.99 (still no clue why I was charged for cheese) and then plain, then the milkshake (this is why he thought I needed two since the milkshake was under the 2 Big boppers and not the single cheeseburger). Then it has the chicken sandwiches plain with milkshakes, then the regular cheeseburger, but nothing under it. The order on the receipt was all out of order. I then called the lady over to make sure onion rings would not have cheese on them nor the big boppers be plain. She said no it does that and puts things in the wrong order all the time.

The line was really long and I wasn't going to go back to get my 1.99 that I still don't know why it was added on the receipt as the regular cheeseburger says on the menu it includes cheese.

But anyways I see a tray with 4 items on it forever sitting there, finally the cheeseburger comes out and they give me the food. Well my big bopper was cold, the onion rings were cold, and the cheeseburger we waited for had a cold piece of cheese slapped on it and not melted at all. Overall the food was not enjoyable and we paid $85 for this meal because they don't offer kids meals so the kids ones were $13 plus shakes putting them towards $20. It would have been close to $100 without our discount. It seems when you order the one burger because the receipt is wrong they make everything else and then come back ask, then make that one?!? I really don't understand why their system doesn't put things in order and doesn't get cut off for the cooks/servers. But the food sitting there makes it cold before you even get it. I am not one that likes overly hot food, so when I complain about that it is bad. We won't eat here again other than getting milkshakes. That was way too expensive for what we got and mistakes were happening a lot. While there two people had to bring back their sandwiches because they were made wrong. So their system seems to be having major issues.

My kids even said their school chicken sandwiches are better than the ones there. That is not high praise :lmao: I am sure if they liked Ranch dressing and got it how it was intended it would be better than plain chicken. I am sure the sauce helps, but my kids don't like ranch. I am sure if mine was hot it also would have been better. The bacon was a little chewy but again it was all from it sitting too long.

I didn't complain because we were trying to get to Dreamworks before the sky opened up and they had a mess at the counter with a long line trying to order, tons of people waiting, then people coming up to get orders fixed. So it would have taken way too long to get anything fixed and we had already missed the 6 PM show because it was taking so long and wanted to make sure we at least got into the area before it was pouring.