Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mel's Diner

I've always said they need to just get rid of Mel's here since the real thing is close enough to the park anyway... I'd rather see this be completely renovated & turned into "Café 80's" BTTF: Part 2 :)

Mel's is blocked on both sides.  Do you think they'll change any of the French side or is this just for access during remodel?

Mels_081715_1.jpg
Mels_081715_2.jpg

Even though the view of of French Street I'm putting it in this forum because the purpose of the construction walls is related to Mel's Diner.  New images on the walls are far more appropriate than the Halloween Horror Nights theme. 

I'm still holding out hope that Mel's does NOT return and in its place we get Café 80s instead :p

I'd say it should be reopening fairly soon. Not really sure what kind of overhaul they're giving it, but I did notice while at the park this past weekend they changed out the construction walls on French Street to ones that look like holiday wooden storefronts or whatever. So it seems like it will still be closed when Grinchmas begins.

It's been months since I saw any activity at Mel's.  I'd kinda forgotten about it.  But today there was a worker (I saw only one) doing something.  Seems interesting to me that after months of no work at all that someone was working on Sunday of a holiday weekend.  Then again, as a restaurant with interior seating near Hogsmeade it seems pretty important they get this place done.

Coincidentally(?), I also saw evidence (tools, etc) of active work (but no workers) on the roof of Mummy.  Maybe getting ready for the rains? Maybe getting ready to starting taking down Grinchmas lighting?

Mels_010316_1.jpg

Mel's has had extensive work gutting the inside. The Mel's we once knew is gone. The interior is getting a 100% new design. I am hearing walk up windows similar to Springfield design. I expect it to be finished by April.

You may not notice much in this photo but a lot has changed.  The area behind the tower sign is painted and underneath the canopy all the light fixtures have been updated and the area painted. Straighten up the neon and it's gonna look great.

Mels_021116_1.jpg

Despite the poor quality photo I want to report that Mel's is looking very nice.  The walls are still up but there's no visible evidence of ongoing work now.  The old neon tubes around the canopy have been removed.  No idea if that will be replaced. 

Mels_022016_1.jpg

One of my favorite aspects to Mel's Diner were the Doo Wop singers that were next to the food venue. I would love to see them bring that back.