Middle Earth coming to UOR? | Page 22 | Inside Universal Forums

Middle Earth coming to UOR?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
People seem to have ignored HTF's post... But if that means something is brewing then consider me excited!

However, a point on Popeye:
Bilge Rat Barges is one of my favourite rides at the resort, and as such I would be devastated (along with the entire rest of my non-geek family) if it went. However, surely it is unlikely they would get rid of it - would they really slap a massive show building right on the lagoon? I think not. Imagine how intrusive it would be. Combine this with the fact that it is just begging to be turned into the barrel escape from The Hobbit and I would hope it's safe... Although seeing it changed from its current form would make me sad enough :(

Where's there is smoke there is fire...

"You know of what I speak, Gandalf: a great Eye, lidless, wreathed in flame..."

Well there are people who love the water ride factor. A lot of people. Those rides are major people eaters.

I'm not in favor of removing anything while there is still other limited land options available. Unless a water ride is added to USF.

Normally I do USF first so I can get on the water rides while its hot having the three in IOA definitely helps IMO.

Having 3 in IoA is complete and utter overkill, and negates a large chunk of the park's rides when you don't feel like getting soaked to the bone.

It will depend i suppose if the hobbit would be included with the LoTR if the land we to replace TL, but popeye could stay if they made it be the barrel escape, which will happen in the Desolation of Smaug. Just needs to be rethemed but the ride itself wouldnt need to be touched. You could probably even get away with keeping the rafts as they are.

Yup.

If they are to turn Bluto's into the barrel escape I really really REALLY hope they tone down the wetness factor. I only ride Bluto's about once every 3 years because getting THAT soaked in a theme park environment kinda sucks. The current themeing is awesome, but I just don't like getting that wet unless I'm in a water park.

I do hope that it is perpetually Bilbo's birthday in The Shire. I could spend a lot of time with a pork shank and a couple of pints.

Last edited:
Popeye is great.

I won't shed a tear if the bulldozers started up tomorrow to put a state of the art dark ride on top of its bones.

This is what I was referring to specifically, although granted it could be used for anything else too. It was specifically the idea of replacing one of the best 'fun' experience rides in the resort with yet another (admittedly great, but same-y) E ticket dark ride.

This is what I was referring to specifically, although granted it could be used for anything else too. It was specifically the idea of replacing one of the best 'fun' experience rides in the resort with yet another (admittedly great, but same-y) E ticket dark ride.

Who says it would be the same? There's a lot of assumption going on there.:lol:

Is there a reason this would go to Islands and not replace something like Barney and Curious George in the other park?

Because it fits perfectly in IoA.
Pretty much. Strong, fantasy, LITERATURE-based IP. They would be stupid to NOT build this in IOA.

That being said, I want Popeye to stay and Dudley to go. I currently love everything about Popeye, and I think it's themed very well and it doesn't skip a beat, whether it be the thrills, theme, the queue, etc. It's amazing. However, Dudley is embarrassment. The only thing it gets right is it's facade (really attractive and well done), and the thrills. The rest is janky and terrible, and poorly maintained. I don't think it belongs in IOA, unless it gets an extreme refurbishment.

Don't get me wrong, I love LoR and all things nerdy, and know Uni would do a great job w/ the franchise, but I just think it would be redundant in IOA w/ WWoHP. Save it for an eventual 3rd gate; heck, make it the 3rd Gate all by itself.

Just a thought...

IOA rips down Toon shortly after the opening of both JP and Lorax to accommodate the loss of two attractions within Toon itself. Toon is completely gutted and rebranded as the LoTR and is now a major land from within the books and includes one major subsection from within that land. Think Merlins Woods with the former LC. If as successful as planned another MAJOR expansion can be done at the third gate from another trilogy.

I'm gonna say their are some that are not willing to give up on this project as its being labeled a Star Wars combatant. Eventually Disney will build Star Wars within its Orlando Parks at that point you will see an even more aggressive approach to the parks. Everyone knows you can't stop Star Wars. All Universal could do is hope the next trilogy bombs and or give people more options at GIGANTIC IP's. Whats the next biggest things outside of SW? Yeah LOTR and Potter. So WE COULD see LOTR as well as Potter Phase 3 happen at the same time Star Wars drops.

Food for thought folks...

Reactions: badlactose
I've said this before. Middle Earth has plenty of different regions to create an entire park. And the franchises are all very popular amongst all age groups. People here however feel having a park based on one IP is a poor decision. I don't.

I don't think LOTR has enough marketing firepower to be its own theme park. Would be nice, though.

No property can carry their own park.

As for the "save it for the 3rd gate" stuff, the 3rd park is still a big hypothetical. Besides, it fits too strongly with IoA not to put it in there

Just a thought...

IOA rips down Toon shortly after the opening of both JP and Lorax to accommodate the loss of two attractions within Toon itself. Toon is completely gutted and rebranded as the LoTR and is now a major land from within the books and includes one major subsection from within that land. Think Merlins Woods with the former LC. If as successful as planned another MAJOR expansion can be done at the third gate from another trilogy.

I'm gonna say their are some that are not willing to give up on this project as its being labeled a Star Wars combatant. Eventually Disney will build Star Wars within its Orlando Parks at that point you will see an even more aggressive approach to the parks. Everyone knows you can't stop Star Wars. All Universal could do is hope the next trilogy bombs and or give people more options at GIGANTIC IP's. Whats the next biggest things outside of SW? Yeah LOTR and Potter. So WE COULD see LOTR as well as Potter Phase 3 happen at the same time Star Wars drops.

Food for thought folks...
These next 10+ years at UOR are going to be mind-blowing!

Middle Earth is such a massive land. It sounds as if Phase I will be LOTR in TL. And perhaps Phase II will be The Hobbit in the third gate? I like the idea, but at the same time, I don't. Both franchises coexist within one another and at times visit the same places. I guess it could work though. I love both franchises so here's my ideas:

Lord of the Rings(Toon Lagoon):

THE SHIRE
RIVENDELL
ISENGARD
ROHAN/GONDOR
MORDOR

The Hobbit(Third Gate):

MIRKWOOD
MISTY MOUNTAINS
LAKE TOWN
EREBOR

And that's some of the big locations. I really hope this project comes to fruition.

...I like the idea, but at the same time, I don't. Both franchises coexist within one another and at times visit the same places. I guess it could work though....

Could it be Universal is conisdering the creation of another mode of transportation masked as a ride that will link LOTR-land in IOA to the third gate? Now that would be awesome.

Could it be Universal is conisdering the creation of another mode of transportation masked as a ride that will link LOTR-land in IOA to the third gate? Now that would be awesome.
Don't get my hopes up dude. With that said, the Great Eagles are present in both the LOTR and The Hobbit. Could we see an aerial connection between the two?...