Minion Café - USF | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Minion Café - USF

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was? News to me.

Which would be great if there was room. They were able to fit Gru's house because the queue jettisoned out a bit from the building and it didn't have as tight of space. I obviously would love something to Hollywood's set up but the room just isn't there. So they pivoted.
If I misremembered rumors of an entrance area redesign, I apologize. And to be fair, it’s not a straw man, it’s simply me being incorrect.

But again, I don’t understand the basis for the claim that shallow facades absolutely couldn’t fit along the exterior queue when facades are being installed on one side of the similarly narrow (if not narrower) walkway between Blast and the cafe. I’d be interested to see any evidence of that. And if that is true, perhaps you move a portion of the line indoors using a sliver of the dedicated HHN space and eliminate the street-facing queue.

What I really don’t agree with is the sense that Universal had NO options, all their creative actions were dictated by factors beyond their control, and it’s utter folly to question that which was foreordained. Universal has, very literally, an infinite number of options regarding what they do with their Orlando parks and it is very fair, as fans, to discuss those options and discuss the nature and validity of the restrictions Universal puts on its own decisions.

I think you’re projecting your own preferences on the guest pool at large, and I don’t think it’s the reality of the situation
Look, I think liking the level of theme that Universal is applying to Minions Land (or thinking it's appropriate, given time/budget limits) is a perfectly defensible position.

But "don't bother to aim any higher, because people won't care anyway" is just a strange stance to take on a theme park message board. To me, anyway! There are a lot of great things in themed entertainment that probably never would have happened if that had been the guiding ethos.

And I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, or bash you, or anything like that. I just don't understand!

If I misremembered rumors of an entrance area redesign, I apologize. And to be fair, it’s not a straw man, it’s simply me being incorrect.

But again, I don’t understand the basis for the claim that shallow facades absolutely couldn’t fit along the exterior queue when facades are being installed on one side of the similarly narrow (if not narrower) walkway between Blast and the cafe. I’d be interested to see any evidence of that. And if that is true, perhaps you move a portion of the line indoors using a sliver of the dedicated HHN space and eliminate the street-facing queue.

What I really don’t agree with is the sense that Universal had NO options, all their creative actions were dictated by factors beyond their control, and it’s utter folly to question that which was foreordained. Universal has, very literally, an infinite number of options regarding what they do with their Orlando parks and it is very fair, as fans, to discuss those options and discuss the nature and validity of the restrictions Universal puts on its own decisions.
So your solution for the facade is to eat into an already limited space area? Got it.

I also think we're conflating "NO" option with the option they went within their parameters - and applying personal preference under the guise of questioning business decisions.
But "don't bother to aim any higher, because people won't care anyway" is just a strange stance to take on a theme park message board. To me, anyway! There are a lot of great things in themed entertainment that probably never would have happened if that had been the guiding ethos.

I'm not arguing your "Aim higher" point, but curious what else could they have really done that would have been satisfactory IYO? Minion Studios was a fair offer but that's just personal preference/splitting hairs.

And don't just say "DARK RIDE!".. lol

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I'm not arguing your "Aim higher" point, but curious what else could they have really done that would have been satisfactory IYO? Minion Studios was a fair offer but that's just personal preference/splitting hairs.
From a business standpoint (Universal wanting something "new" opening at USF prior to Epic), it makes sense that the scope and scale of this overall project is, generally, what it is. I think the "Minion Studios" idea is kind of brilliant, because it turns some of the architectural limitations of the area into features, not bugs. Short of that, I think painting some stylized city skylines on both the Minion Mayhem and VillainCon soundstages would have at least broken up the feeling of them just being huge beige boxes a little bit. Any extra effort to do that, I'd appreciate... because the theme of the land is no longer supporting them just being soundstages (which Production Central still, basically, allowed for).

For my personal preference, I would have rather been made to wait until 2026 (or whenever) if it meant overhauling the entrance of the park, fully demolishing the Hitchcock/Shrek building, and putting a purpose-built ride on that space (in the vein of Hollywood's SLOP, perhaps Minion-themed if not a one-to-one clone).

But it is what it is!

From a business standpoint (Universal wanting something "new" opening at USF prior to Epic), it makes sense that the scope and scale of this overall project is, generally, what it is. I think the "Minion Studios" idea is kind of brilliant, because it turns some of the architectural limitations of the area into features, not bugs. Short of that, I think painting some stylized city skylines on both the Minion Mayhem and VillainCon soundstages would have at least broken up the feeling of them just being huge beige boxes a little bit. Any extra effort to do that, I'd appreciate... because the theme of the land is no longer supporting them just being soundstages (which Production Central still, basically, allowed for).

For my personal preference, I would have rather been made to wait until 2026 (or whenever) if it meant overhauling the entrance of the park, fully demolishing the Hitchcock/Shrek building, and putting a purpose-built ride on that space (in the vein of Hollywood's SLOP, perhaps Minion-themed if not a one-to-one clone).

But it is what it is!

OK so they hid the Soundstage for Villain-Con under the guise of it being a "Convention Center" but you would have preferred something else.

Cuz no matter what.... we were getting a big box in the middle of the park with your 2026 idea.

Is there supposed to be any sort of drink-oriented offering? Like specifically specialty drinks? I feel like it would lend itself well to that. But maybe Freeze Ray Pops fills that slot

OK so they hid the Soundstage for Villain-Con under the guise of it being a "Convention Center" but you would have preferred something else.

Cuz no matter what.... we were getting a big box in the middle of the park with your 2026 idea.
The convention center thing is REALLY thin. They stuck some generic villain posters on the side and kept it labeled as a stage (albeit stage V). The theming lacks cohesion and nothing about it reads convention center.

As to having a building in the middle of the park.. there are lots of those across Orlando. They’re obscured by theming. How much of the huge stage is going to be empty, essentially wasted space - I’m not just thinking of the HHN space that will be unused for much of the year, I’m talking about vertical space above Blast. I’d be fairly surprised if there are any screens or sets that reach from the floor to the ceiling of the soundstage. You could chop a couple stories off the structure and almost certainly have the exact same amount of space Blast and HHN will be using.

I think Transformers looks just fine. I think Simpsons and Minions Cafe look great. Uni doesn’t have to do a lot, but it has to do SOMETHING clever… and that orange awning just looks awful.

Themed with facades as nice as what Hollywood got with SLOP, yes!

I think "hid" is being a bit generous!

I've maintained that what they're doing, aesthetically, in this area isn't making or breaking anything. My original point was just that there seemed to be an imbalance between the effort put into the exterior of the Cafe (which looks terrific) and the two giant buildings you walk between to get to the Cafe. The Cafe seems like it belongs in a more immersive, detail-rich land than it actually exists in. That's not an argument not to theme the Cafe very well.

Themed with facades as nice as what Hollywood got with SLOP, yes!

I think "hid" is being a bit generous!

I've maintained that what they're doing, aesthetically, in this area isn't making or breaking anything. My original point was just that there seemed to be an imbalance between the effort put into the exterior of the Cafe (which looks terrific) and the two giant buildings you walk between to get to the Cafe. The Cafe seems like it belongs in a more immersive, detail-rich land than it actually exists in. That's not an argument not to theme the Cafe very well.
Acknowledging that this would shift timelines to 2026 as you suggested, that would also shift timelines for other future projects, too - especially ones with pressing needs. Would that change your mind?

Look, I think liking the level of theme that Universal is applying to Minions Land (or thinking it's appropriate, given time/budget limits) is a perfectly defensible position.

And I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, or bash you, or anything like that. I just don't understand!
In none of my posts did I say they should not aim to the highest quality possible.

My posts were in regard to this amorphous idea that anyone outside the set that posts on here cares if Minion Land is one of the opening areas of a park vs something like Port of Entry, and any such differences having any affect on their day.

Minion Land isn’t the best land in the world by a long shot. I’d never pretend it’s anything more than it is, which is a nice upgrade to what was in those spaces before it. But that’s all that normal people will care about, and all the high minded theme park stuff we gripe about won’t come into play.

In none of my posts did I say they should not aim to the highest quality possible.

My posts were in regard to this amorphous idea that anyone outside the set that posts on here cares if Minion Land is one of the opening areas of a park vs something like Port of Entry, and any such differences having any affect on their day.

Minion Land isn’t the best land in the world by a long shot. I’d never pretend it’s anything more than it is, which is a nice upgrade to what was in those spaces before it. But that’s all that normal people will care about, and all the high minded theme park stuff we gripe about won’t come into play.
One thing “normal” people really won’t care about is that it’s an “upgrade,” because they won’t be able or inclined to make such historical comparisons. THAT’S theme park nerd stuff. They’ll take the area as it exists in the moment, and on those terms it’s not particularly impressive.

One thing “normal” people really won’t care about is that it’s an “upgrade,” because they won’t be able or inclined to make such historical comparisons. THAT’S theme park nerd stuff. They’ll take the area as it exists in the moment, and on those terms it’s not particularly impressive.
It has a shooter attraction, traditionally a very popular format where ever it’s built, and good (looking at least) food. People will absolutely enjoy that.