More Orlando Visitors Now Arriving by Car than Plane | Inside Universal Forums

More Orlando Visitors Now Arriving by Car than Plane

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

bobwadd

V.I.P. Member
Feb 20, 2010
You never know
From Skift . . .

More Orlando Visitors Are Now Arriving By Car Than Airplane

Dan Tracy and Sara Clarke, Orlando Sentinel

Oct 02, 2013 1:00 pm

Despite record amounts of tourists flocking to Central Florida, the number of passengers flying in and out of Orlando International Airport is falling for the second year in a row, as more visitors opt to drive here.

The count through July this year is down more than 361,000 passengers, or 1.7 percent, from the same time in 2012, airport records show. The 2012 total represented a decrease of almost 138,000 passengers over 2011, or 0.4 percent.

Airport officials are confident the numbers are aberrations and that the next two decades promise steady growth of anywhere from 2.2 percent to 3.4 percent annually.

“We’re optimistic,” said spokeswoman Carolyn Fennell, noting that improvements and additions at theme parks, new hotels and the imminent opening of a veterans’ hospital will spur more people to use the airport. “That activity should stimulate traffic growth.”

But right now, Orlando’s more typical visitor is a motorist rather than a flier — someone such as Joey Thacker, who opted to drive down from Atlanta for his recent Walt Disney World vacation.

“It’s a straight shot from Atlanta, and I have three boys, and I’d just as soon drive,” Thacker said. “We’re going to be going to Disney and everything, and we just want our vehicle here.”

Travel experts say people considering short flights must weigh the hassle of an airport — arriving early, passing through security, the possibility of a delayed flight, renting a car — versus jumping in their own vehicle and driving.

“Those kind of routes, people make that calculation: Is my three- to four-hour drive or the flight worthwhile?” said Rick Seaney, chief executive of FareCompare.com, a website that tracks airfares.

In addition, travelers to Orlando are largely tourists. Though 46 percent of overnight business travelers fly, only 26 percent of overnight leisure travelers do so, according to Visit Orlando.

The decline in passengers comes at a critical time for the airport, where top officials have talked of spending $2.1 billion on a new terminal for international travelers, a 3,500-spot parking garage and a depot that would serve trains linking Central and South Florida.

Airport executives say a new terminal could take five years to complete. The train stop and garage could be open in 2015. If work does not begin soon, they say, the existing terminal could be swamped with passengers, resulting in poor service and a bad name in the travel community by as early as 2017, but more likely 2019.

Fennell said the drop in passengers was due largely to cutbacks in flights by Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways, which Southwest purchased two years ago. Southwest is the airport’s largest carrier; AirTran is No. 4, behind JetBlue Airways and Delta Air Lines, respectively.

Southwest spokeswoman Michelle Agnew said most of her airline’s reductions were the result of eliminating flights between Orlando and other Florida cities.

“Plain and simple,” she said in an email to the Orlando Sentinel, “we have to fly routes that are profitable for us, and high fuel prices are making that tough.”

Agnew said Southwest would increase flights to cities it already serves as early as February because that is the peak travel season in Central Florida.

Seaney said that, in general, airlines have cut the number of seats they offer to U.S. destinations.

Orlando’s tourist count, meanwhile, has set records during the past three years, hitting 57 million in 2012.

But even as the number of visitors has climbed, airline traffic has not kept pace with Orlando’s hotel demand, according to Daryl Cronk, director of research for Visit Orlando.

After dipping sharply in 2009, demand for hotel rooms in the Orlando area returned to pre-recession levels in early 2011. But the number of air travelers to Orlando International in 2012 remains nearly 1.2 million below its pre-recession high of 36.4 million in 2007.

The reason is that the area’s economic recovery has been fueled disproportionately by tourists, who are less likely to fly.

And as the state’s economy has struggled in recent years, Orlando has also attracted more in-state visitors who are looking to stay close to home with an economical vacation. Just 1 percent of in-state visitors fly to Orlando.

Other major airports in Florida have fared better. Passenger traffic was up 2.9 percent last year at Miami International Airport, and traffic rose 0.9 percent in Fort Lauderdale, according to the Airports Council International, a trade group representing airports.

But even among out-of-state tourists who come to Orlando, more are opting to drive rather than fly. Visit Orlando estimates that 49 percent of out-of-state tourists flew to Orlando in 2010. By 2012, that had fallen to 42 percent.

One possible reason? Rising airfare costs, especially given that Orlando is a family market.

“We’re not talking about one or two tickets for a couple. You’re talking about four or five tickets for a family,” Cronk said.

dltracy@tribune.com or 407-420-5444. sclarke@tribune.com or 407-420-5664. ___

(c)2013 The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.)

Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com

Distributed by MCT Information Services

Interesting. But not surprising. People are being more cost conscience but still eager to travel.

Yup, for our trip in November, it'd be may more convinent to fly. But we will drive the 8 hours instead because gas is much cheaper than plane tickets. Also its nice to have a car to get too and from.

Who can afford to fly a daily of 5 across the county with airline tickets as much as they are these days. We were looking to fly to New Jersey next year with the kids to see family but will save $1,000 if we drive. Sure its a 18hr drive but if i can ave that much im buckling up and hitting the gas myself.

It's funny because up until about 3 years ago my family consistently drove from PA. But with schedules shortening from the trip from two to one week, flying became much more effective. We've gotten very good deals with Southwest that definitely has helped.

It's funny because up until about 3 years ago my family consistently drove from PA. But with schedules shortening from the trip from two to one week, flying became much more effective. We've gotten very good deals with Southwest that definitely has helped.

Just wait until you have to buy a plan ticket for yourself, significant other and any little ones you might have, driving looks more and more appealing when you see how much the tickets are :lol:

Just wait until you have to buy a plan ticket for yourself, significant other and any little ones you might have, driving looks more and more appealing when you see how much the tickets are :lol:

Oh I know. I wanted to shoot myself after we bought our California tickets :lol:

Yeah, flight prices have gone up a ton in the last year. I paid much less last year to fly to PA than I would have this year and our families keep complaining about the cost of flying is getting too high. They have even considered driving down because of the cost. But I think in the end they will pay for the tickets vs. cut the vacation short a couple days with the driving.

Let's also not forget that times are pretty damned hard here in Europe, which is where I'm guessing the bulk of international travellers are venturing from.

For domestic tourists on top of the increasing airfare prices, you also have the cost of your privacy and dignity as you go through the security.

My childhood born in 1976 was filled with trips from St. Pete to disney and later universal. Never once has I-4 not been under construction. Why can't we make it 4 wide and call it done.
The DOT has been under the impression that if they keep throwing cash in the hole it will eventually fill up.

The advantage to driving is being able to include other things into your trip, the extra baggage fees and hassle of the airport probably make it real easy for people to want and drive.
I personally hate losing time traveling by car but when you can throw in a amusement park, Zoo, mountains, or some other tourist trap it makes it worth it.

We flew in two years ago and decided that would be the last time. It was just more of a hassle than the drive down. Between check-in, security, loading, runway time, off-loading, luggage retrieval, car rental, etc. Not to mention the cost. We take the money we'd spend on plane tickets and rent a car to relieve stress on our cars and still come out ahead.

If you're paying your own way flying is easier. Anything north of Maryland and it just gets ridiculous because of the tolls.
Don't know about that. We drive from western Pa. & take 77 & 95 most of the way. The only tolls we encounter is a short stretch in northern & southern West Virginia that amounts to a couple of dollars.

Don't know about that. We drive from western Pa. & take 77 & 95 most of the way. The only tolls we encounter is a short stretch in northern & southern West Virginia that amounts to a couple of dollars.

Yeah, I got a little slap in NH and ME and beyond that it is free. Only thing that costs me is hotels on the way down (I hate driving ad nauseam)