Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Mortal Kombat

Considering the first two films, I wasn't expecting much before I saw the trailer.
I mean, I sure as heck wasn't expecting anything like...

Sub-Zero freezing Scorpion's Blood into a knife and stabbing him with it.

Seriously, that moment got a loud "OH S%^&!!!" out of me. Trailers normally don't get that out of me.

So along with that and everything else shown in the trailer, I'm fully on-board with this! The story is most likely gonna' be cheesy and whatnot, but it looks to deliver the bloody goods where it counts.

I hope i get to see this in theaters...looks like good dumb fun and think would be a better film to see with others

The only thing I'm worried about is this new, sorta generic seeming character who is clearly just an 'in' to explaining the tournament and some of the mythos. I don't think you needed to create a new character to do such.

Other than that, holy hell this looks fun. Fights look both as graphic as they should but also as creative and imaginative as they should be.

The only thing I'm worried about is this new, sorta generic seeming character who is clearly just an 'in' to explaining the tournament and some of the mythos. I don't think you needed to create a new character to do such.

Other than that, holy hell this looks fun. Fights look both as graphic as they should but also as creative and imaginative as they should be.
If they have to add someone who can help simplify for audiences not familiar with the games, it’s a sacrifice I think is worth it.

As long as it keeps the spirit of the games, I dont think it matters who the lead would be, even if he is generic.

Looks good!

I don't have a huge relationship with the game; MK III on my Sega Genesis was the only one I ever played.

I do, however, love the soundtrack. And I have spent way too much time with it. :grin:

<lecture series>
"Mortal Kombat the Album" was released with the game. My favorite part: the Lords of Acid did it. It is a Lords of Acid album! But, since every LOA song is about sex or drugs, or both (kitty cat, anyone? ) the LOA made a fake band called the Immortals and did this album. Every time you hear that "Moortaaall Kommaaat!", that is Praga Khan of LOA.

It is a fantastic album, and has a song for each playable character, with the game sound clips. "Scorpion" has, "come here!" and "get over here!" which should surprise no one. :cheers:

Oddly enough, it cannot be found anywhere. Not on YouTube, Spotify, Amazon, anywhere. I had to re-learn my BluRay player to listen to it just now!

IMG_0443.JPG

Story = Hardly exists
Acting = Awful
Fighting/Fatalities = FLAWLESS VICTORY

I was really anticipating this one, but while watching I realized that I don’t think you can make a “good” MK movie. The premise is so ridiculous and the characters are such caricatures that creating a compelling film might be an impossible task. This attempt was okay given the material, but I hope this doesn’t become a franchise since I think we saw about all they can do with this one.

I’d venture to guess fans of the game will like or love this movie, but everyone else won’t get much out of it. Curious to hear everyone’s thoughts!

Last edited:
What I really like about Mortal Kombat is how well the blended the modern style and tones, with the characters and moves from not just the original MK but also recent titles like MKX/MKXI. If you had to pull a gun and had me say what would be the best video game film..this oddly would not be it. It feels as if it's trying to get it's sealegs while also taking a leap to do things that are really fun; and sometimes that doesn't work. But for what it's worth, I wouldn't mind returning to this timeline and seeing what the production teams have enstore.

- Hiroyuki Sanada and Joe Taslim are absolutely stellar as Hanzo and Bi-Han. I hope that we get more of Sanada going forward in the franchise, even if it's for smaller moments. Even while more limited than I'd like, he made Scorpion really great. Especially with the best line of the film being directly from him: "I have risen from hell to kill you." is never not satisfying to hear come out of a character like Hanzo.
- Kano was the absolute highlight, and while I do think not having Johnny Cage is a cardinal sin, I think I like having Kano being the main comedic character. I also like that they used the disrespect of a small prop, to serve as an environmental fatality.
- I kind of wish Shang was killed in this. I can understand why they're not wanting to go to Shao Kahn just yet, but it felt..weird having it end as abrupt as it did with his character. Hopefully MK2 finally kills the immortal crypt.
- Sonya having the energy blasts with her palms is *chefs* kiss material. I didn't think they'd do it that early on.
- I wish, wish that Kitana could've been involved. It somewhat irritates me more out of any character (even Johnny Cage) to not be featured on screen--even if we get her feather blades.

So yeah--Sonic The Hedgehog is better than Mortal Kombat 2021. But I'm perfectly happy with MK2021 in spite of that.

I liked it. Definitely had issues, but I was looking for a Mortal Kombat movie and it gave it to me for the most part, so - :thumbsup:

Kano stole the show and I've could've done without the Cole character.

Last edited:
Solid like 7.5 out of 10.

Fun, the opening scene is really well done..I think the main character just was not that interesting or acted well. Kano by far had the most fun with his role and worked really well. Think a sequel would be even better.

Super quick first impression is that Mortal Kombat 2021 is a blast and a half. It serves as a great, energetic blast in the franchise. Case in point, a few minutes before the final credits began rolling I was amped to just dive into the actual tournament itself and keep the fighting flowing.

My biggest concern going in was the introduction of a new, vanilla-ish character as a way into the convoluted and absurd lore that is the MK world. Honestly, I truly didn't mind the addition of Cole to the story at all. How he ties into this version of the overall MK story was well done and it being the center of the film worked surprisingly well for me. Part of me still thinks there's a great MK movie that can focus on Liu Kang as the lead but what we received here instead was very well done. The film did lose me a little in how ham fisted and hokey the whole Cole is just a punching bag who loves his family so he isn't ready to fight until OH NO he super loves his family and is now ultra ready!

The fighting choreography was fantastic, the locales were stylish and extravagant, the brutality was absolutely necessary to do the games justice and most of the fighters were brought to life brilliantly (especially Kano, who is going to damn near be the star of this and I can already believe they're re-writing a potential sequel to bring him back, Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kabal and Goro).

My biggest complaints are that the film does have to move a little too briskly at some points to get through the massive amount of story and some moments and characters feel a little to rushed but it's hard to complain when they're executed so damn well.

Overall, it'd get a 3.5 / 5 from me. Not exactly a weighty thinker but a delightful blast of excess gore that does its source material pretty damn proudly. I really, really hope it does well enough to justify a sequel outing.

The "meh" reviews have kept me form renewing my HBOMax sub so far. But the real thing I care about: is Techno Syndrome (aka the real MK soundtrack) in it?