Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

MSHI Expansion?

Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
Lots of talk/speculation about a rumor of a potential addition to MSHI was spilling over in the King Kong thread, so I thought it would be good just to create a dedicated thread for it.

I've been dying for this to happen. I'd love it if true. I've just wondered what Universal can really add with Marvel anymore, because I feel like the brand is popular enough to justify some sort of expansion and the lack of movement there has made me wonder if Disney can block any new stuff.

If true, some sort of Iron Man attraction is most likely IMO. The proposed ride screams Iron Man to me, just can't use anything that resembles the RDJ version of the character.

Would love to see this happen with MSHI:

Storm Force Accelerator REPLACED.
Dark Ride Added/OR Marvel Show of some kind added where Toon Lagoon theatre is.
That entire side where Captain America Diner Sits from Hulk Coaster South to the Ice Cream shop LEVELED and rebuilt into a Dark ride/Gingotts Style ride or a FLYER COASTER OVER MARVEL ISLAND AND THE LAGOON (Ironman):happy:

Fstfood Boulevard type of options to replace the Cafe 4. (re-route dooms entrance)

EITHER WAY WOULD LOVE THIS IF TRUE!!!

I think that MSHI would be the last island to get an expansion these days. I know, things have gotten pitched, but thats not uncommon. Although its one of my favorite theme park lands anywhere, I think the fact that the general public have come to associate Marvel with the Cinematic Universe, which Universal cannot use, will hurt them. While they could definitely use the momentum from the Avengers movies to market any expansion, people will come to see Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans and will get the old school animations that most people dont know about anymore. Also, how big of a hurdle is Disney in all this?

I think that MSHI would be the last island to get an expansion these days. I know, things have gotten pitched, but thats not uncommon. Although its one of my favorite theme park lands anywhere, I think the fact that the general public have come to associate Marvel with the Cinematic Universe, which Universal cannot use, will hurt them. While they could definitely use the momentum from the Avengers movies to market any expansion, people will come to see Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans and will get the old school animations that most people dont know about anymore. Also, how big of a hurdle is Disney in all this?
To my knowledge they aren't that big of a deal, depends the kind of contract universal has and how many heroes they own. Like it would be fine to use Thor but it can't look like the new movies or have Chris as the voice actor. By those rules I think universal could get away with not paying gobs of cash to Disney for the rights, they might already own all the theme park rights if I'm not mistaken. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong

While I love the idea, I have to agree that there are other areas that I think Universal needs and wants to tackle first. Kong for one, Kidzone, a Shrek replacement, something to either add or replace Lost Continent, the JP expansion, Seuss expansion, and of course the expansion pad behind MIB.

from the first time I rode Manta at Seaworld, it really felt like you were in an Iron Man ride. Sometimes when I am in Manta I just imagine that Im in a IM ride actually. It's just too perfect.

Bring this on. Love Iron Man and MSHI. I've been wanting an expansion in that area with the carnival games right before Toon Lagoon. That, along with the amphitheater where this could potentially go, are just giant wastes of space. So I'd love to see this be the next project after Kong.

And I have to disagree about not being able to use the cinematic versions of the characters hurting the ride. Part of the appeal of MSHI is you're supposed to feel like your in a comic book and supposed to feel cartoony. And Iron Man is still Iron Man, now matter how he's portrayed. I think if this was pitched as another 3D experience kind of deal you'd like to see something live action featuring Downey. But even then it would feel out of place with the rest of the comic theme. Spider-Man achieves it just fine, after now 5 live action movies. As great as the new HD screens are, if even go as far as to say I prefer the older experience! Just cause it felt more old school comic-y.

I wish Uni would add an Asgard experience where you are transported to the planet Asgard with some cheap disco lights effects and have a meet and great with the big cheese or an amazing experience where you could see all the suits from Iron man, that would be enough to do with this franchise I'm sure. To top it of a carousel with all characters on hands and knees where small kids and infants could sit on their backs to enjoy the ride of a lifetime.
But seriously I think Universal has a successful land that will stay unchanged until Disney will eventually dump some truckloads of $$ in Universal's lap and Universal will say yes if they are confident the franchise is milked enough by Disney and they have something better to replace it.

I wish Uni would add an Asgard experience where you are transported to the planet Asgard with some cheap disco lights effects and have a meet and great with the big cheese or an amazing experience where you could see all the suits from Iron man, that would be enough to do with this franchise I'm sure. To top it of a carousel with all characters on hands and knees where small kids and infants could sit on their backs to enjoy the ride of a lifetime.
But seriously I think Universal has a successful land that will stay unchanged until Disney will eventually dump some truckloads of $$ in Universal's lap and Universal will say yes if they are confident the franchise is milked enough by Disney and they have something better to replace it.
Technically, Disney can build all the Marvel they want in WDW. It just can't have any characters in the Avengers, X-Men or Fantastic Four Families. Marvel's Phase 3 slate of films (which are all pulling from much lesser known content) and the Big Hero 6 animated movie is a perfect example of ways WDW can scoot around the contract.

The real question is: Would they really build a Guardians or Big Hero 6 attraction with Universal having a land devoted to Marvel? I'd be inclined to think no as of right now, but Big Hero 6 (if popular) is distant enough that it's conceivable as it will be seen more as a Disney movie than a Marvel movie anyway.

Although I remain sceptical about the practicalities of a launched flying coaster, if it were to happen it would probably shoot instantly to the top of my (purely rollercoaster) top ten. I'm imagining a really well themed queue and station, with the ride itself being more Mummy-esque. A slightly uphill launch in the prone position whilst indoors would give an amazing sensation, throw in some stylish lighting and it'd be a great ride. Although tight elements aren't usual flyer fare, with the right layout it could actually be awesome.

Still filing under 'unlikely' for now, but here's hoping.

Personally I'd rather have an outdoor coaster, but then I do love the aesthetics of it all and find coaters to be sexy :)
Then perhaps a combination of inside and outside would be cool, that way you could still have a huge drop, so the coaster begins inside, then as it is launched goes outside into the looping which brings you inside again at the end, so basically what I'd like is for the pretzel loop to show outside ...

The details of the contract basically have MSHI frozen in its current state until 2050. Nothing can really be added or removed unless both parties (Uni and Marvel/Disney) agree to it separately.

It also looks like Disney can't use any Marvel characters at WDW, regardless if it's the cinematic universe interpretation of them.

Here's the original contract for reference. Keep in mind there could be additional addendums that we are not privy to.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1262449/000119312510008732/dex1057.htm

My guess is that MSHI stays frozen the way it is until Universal decides to close it (never) or Disney buys Uni out of the contract.

I don't think Disney is shaking in their boots since the comic book versions of the characters aren't the moneymakers anyway. The movie versions are.

The details of the contract basically have MSHI frozen in its current state until 2050. Nothing can really be added or removed unless both parties (Uni and Marvel/Disney) agree to it separately.

It also looks like Disney can't use any Marvel characters at WDW, regardless if it's the cinematic universe interpretation of them.

Here's the original contract for reference. Keep in mind there could be additional addendums that we are not privy to.

My guess is that MSHI stays frozen the way it is until Universal decides to close it (never) or Disney buys Uni out of the contract.

I don't think Disney is shaking in their boots since the comic book versions of the characters aren't the moneymakers anyway. The movie versions are.

If you were disney and you couldnt do anything with marvel in Orlando for 35 more years, you would want Universal to build something, which Uni would pay for obv., which can bring more people to MSHI and buy more merchandise. Like I said on the other thread, take those buying in potter and move that money over to MSHI, Disney would be happy about that.

Regardless.... this is post gate 3 talk. and if not def after Kong, JP, Suess and LC in IOA and MIB Mystery Plot, KZ, FFL, Disaster in USO

If you were disney and you couldnt do anything with marvel in Orlando for 35 more years, you would want Universal to build something, which Uni would pay for obv., which can bring more people to MSHI and buy more merchandise. Like I said on the other thread, take those buying in potter and move that money over to MSHI, Disney would be happy about that.

Regardless.... this is post gate 3 talk. and if not def after Kong, JP, Suess and LC in IOA and MIB Mystery Plot, KZ, FFL, Disaster in USO

Thats not necessarily how it works though. Disney can also sell Marvel merchandise. The thing about people buying it at IOA is that that means those people are at IOA and not Disney...meaning whatever Disney gains from Marvel sales, they lose in stuff like Frozen merch, Mickey Mouse balloons, even food & beverage. So its not exactly a cut and dry win-win situation. And by 2050 (assuming another contract is not created or the rules of the deal change), B&M flying coasters could be obsolete, as could the popularity of Marvel.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for clearing this up, I thought I had seen somewhere that IOA couldnt do much more than improve existing stuff at MSHI. Looks like Disney is a little more than just a pebble...