MSHI Expansion? | Page 30 | Inside Universal Forums

MSHI Expansion?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think that the look of MSHI could use an update because it looks worn down, but keep it with a comic book look because Marvel Comics will never be out of date. I think a move to the theming of the current movies would be a bummer. Comic Spidey will always be more relevant than a movie iteration, just ask Tobey and Andy

I would venture a guess that WAY more people found out about Spider-Man and what he's all about through those movies than have ever found out through the comics. Comics are an incredibly niche market, feature films are not.

Reactions: ThreePack Shagur
I would venture a guess that WAY more people found out about Spider-Man and what he's all about through those movies than have ever found out through the comics. Comics are an incredibly niche market, feature films are not.

I'd imagine people are heading over to MSHI wondering where RDJ is and the like. Easy comparison, people going on POTC and wondering why Jack Sparrow isn't there. General Public relate to movies better.

The thing about Spider-Man is that he's (usually) fully covered, so it won't matter which actor is underneath, as long as it's recognizable as Spider-Man. Same for Hulk, as long as he's big and green, it will always be recognizable as the Hulk. Keep Iron Man under the helmet, same deal.

The thing about Spider-Man is that he's (usually) fully covered, so it won't matter which actor is underneath, as long as it's recognizable as Spider-Man. Same for Hulk, as long as he's big and green, it will always be recognizable as the Hulk. Keep Iron Man under the helmet, same deal.
Good point. The super heroes in costume are paramount to their civilian alter egos. Are we there to see Spider-Man or are we there to see Peter Parker? Do we want to see Hulk or puny (as the Hulk used to say) Bruce Banner? It's pretty obvious.

Good point. The super heroes in costume are paramount to their civilian alter egos. Are we there to see Spider-Man or are we there to see Peter Parker? Do we want to see Hulk or puny (as the Hulk used to say) Bruce Banner? It's pretty obvious.

I'd say the Hulk is a bit different, at least if they keep the same story for the ride. Hulk doesn't really talk, but Banner does, and he's interacting with us in the queue/launch tunnel. Still, that can be done in voiceover, doesn't necessitate his likeness

This is something that would definitely be more timeless and I can get behind a lot more than using the actors faces. There's too much change in the movie world, especially with Spider-Man, which is the premiere ride of MSHI.

Reactions: Mad Dog
I'd say the Hulk is a bit different, at least if they keep the same story for the ride. Hulk doesn't really talk, but Banner does, and he's interacting with us in the queue/launch tunnel. Still, that can be done in voiceover, doesn't necessitate his likeness
Skip: Just for curiosity purposes, and I know you're a very informed Marvel fan, which of the many Hulk personas would you prefer to hear if the Hulk speaks in the new queue? Myself, I always preferred the simple mono speech patterns, the "Hulk crush!, Hulk smash! Hulk hates puny Banner! to the more talkative or educated speech, or to the silence.

Skip: Just for curiosity purposes, and I know you're a very informed Marvel fan, which of the many Hulk personas would you prefer to hear if the Hulk speaks in the new queue? Myself, I always preferred the simple mono speech patterns, the "Hulk crush!, Hulk smash! Hulk hates puny Banner! to the more talkative or educated speech, or to the silence.

I'd agree with that. If they're going for just Hulk interacting and not Banner, then that's the way to go.

The interesting thing is, in that case, they wouldn't have to get Ruffalo, as Lou Ferrigno is still the voice of the Hulk.

I wouldn't say that the comic book style is outdated, yes it sticks out and may be less impressive right now to the common public. It is based on the comic books which are still in print(ish), and as such have a much longer longevity than the movies will. Just look at Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil, Quick Silver, or Doom. We have seen multiple variations of these in the movie world (yes I know not all are MCU) in a far smaller window, but there is far more confusion as to who is who in the movies than the comics.

I wouldn't say that the comic book style is outdated, yes it sticks out and may be less impressive right now to the common public. It is based on the comic books which are still in print(ish), and as such have a much longer longevity than the movies will. Just look at Spiderman, Hulk, Daredevil, Quick Silver, or Doom. We have seen multiple variations of these in the movie world (yes I know not all are MCU) in a far smaller window, but there is far more confusion as to who is who in the movies than the comics.

But the visual comics style MSHI utilizes has far outstripped its longevity. Comics don't look like that anymore, and haven't for nearly 2 decades.

I think this is getting more into an MCU vs Comic argument than MSHI. This is like arguing if Star Trek were MSHI instead and they redid everything from the original Trek to be based off of the new movies.

In my opinion, the comics are timeless the movies are not even though I'm not a huge comic reader or collector. I do consider myself at least an average comic dork, and if someone ever asks me about who someone is in a movie or upcoming movie, I will generally gravitate towards the comic canon. Case in point the Ant-Man/Iron Man/Ultron thing.

But the visual comics style MSHI utilizes has far outstripped its longevity. Comics don't look like that anymore, and haven't for nearly 2 decades.
But how would the public know that if the vast majority of the public only knows marvel from TV or Movies as you say? ;)

Point is, you're contradicting yourself as only someone who reads comics would notice that.

I think this is getting more into an MCU vs Comic argument than MSHI. This is like arguing if Star Trek were MSHI instead and they redid everything from the original Trek to be based off of the new movies.

In my opinion, the comics are timeless the movies are not even though I'm not a huge comic reader or collector. I do consider myself at least an average comic dork, and if someone ever asks me about who someone is in a movie or upcoming movie, I will generally gravitate towards the comic canon. Case in point the Ant-Man/Iron Man/Ultron thing.

I love the comics. I read comics. But I'm also realistic enough to realize 90+% of the people coming to a theme park want to see or at least hear the actors from the movies.

But how would the public know that if the vast majority of the public only knows marvel from TV or Movies as you say? ;)

Point is, you're contradicting yourself as only someone who reads comics would notice that.

You don't have to know comics to know that the art style in MSHI looks like out-dated shite. I'm not contradicting myself at all.

Just looking at the X-Men characters alone, they're heavily outdated designs. Just look at Rogue. Her character design (in attitude and in look) is near unrecognizable to fans of the movie, or even fans of the "recent" comics. The rest of them aren't as extreme of differences, but save for Spiderman they're all dated. The general public may not be complaining about it now, but there would be far more excitement for a movie-based rebrand as iconic as they've become. And this is coming from someone who far prefers the comics and has a nostalgic fondness for the 90s designs.

I think the biggest issue with the animation utilized around the island is that it's barely DVD quality. The whole island needs an HD upgrade more than anything. Now whether that's based on the film properties or new animation, I don't really care. It's all Marvel to me.

This is my overall point:

Yes, basing a land off of the current MCU will date the land at some point. Just like basing a land off of the current Harry Potter cast, Jurassic Park cast, etc will. Maybe a comic inspiration won't date as quickly, but it will still date, and will be SIGNFICANTLY less popular than a MCU do over for the first 5 years of its life.

People will show up if you tell them the Avengers from the movies are involved in a new ride. People will still show up for a generic Avengers ride, but not as many.

The last few posts are hitting the nail on the head in regards to the comic design. It's not that the comic looks aren't timeless, it's that the looks used in the majority of MSHI are from the mid-late 90s. That's a time that is generally not looked upon favorably. Even old Spider-Man's designs came from the mid-90s cartoon and not the comics. The Spider-Man ride update is a great balance between iconic looks, modern comics, and realism.

Personally, I would have liked it if everything was Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko-styled, like back in the 60s of Marvel. Those are the only Marvel looks that I would consider timeless. As for characters after that? Eh...don't include them I guess.