My Little Pony: The Movie | Inside Universal Forums

My Little Pony: The Movie

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Hasbro Pictures, Allspark Media, and DHX Media are teaming up with Lionsgate Pictures to bring to life an adaptation of the popular Television series; My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic into a theatrical feature film, set to be released this year.

My-Little-Pony-The-Movie-Logo.jpg

The film is set to star various cast members of the television series; but also various other guest talent such as Liev Schreiber, Emily Blunt, Zoe Saldana, Michael Pena, Kristen Chenoweth, and more.

The film will be directed by Jason Thiessen (Supervising Director of the TV show from S1-S5) as the film will be written by Meghan MeCarthy (writer of the TV show from S3-S5) & from what it sounds, Rita Hsiao (Mulan, Toy Story 2, Disenchanted); with the film releasing on October 7th, 2017.

What do you think of Hasbro Pictures wanting to take the toy-line/turned popular TV series to another round in the cinemas? Are you even interested to see it? Comment down below.

Personally, as someone who does actually like the TV series; I am hopeful that it turns out the way of The Simpsons Movie (or hell, even Serenity) in terms of how faithful it is to the TV series in many ways, but that's just me.

My Little Pony: The Movie has been released, with a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes and with a whopping 91% for audience reception from RottenTomatoes/Flixster.

Got out from seeing the film two hours ago, and while a hectic experience where they played Blade Runner 2049 occurred, it didn't ruin my experience; and that without context (as I do a Movie Podcast, and have done a review there); it is without a doubt the best adaptation of a Hasbro IP since the original 1980's Transformers motion picture.

It brings the show in an expanded form, with additional advancements in animation, sound, music, and acting; with the standout being Emily Blunt being the second lead antagonist of the film.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Lol bronies inflating audience score

I won't ignore that it probably has a bigger impact, but there were people even before the embargo dropped; that weren't Bronies; that did like the film. They found problems, yes; but that even after the embargo drop; places like Variety, TheWrap, and CommonSenseMedia did give the film positive scores.

Personally? I found it to be the best adaptation of a Hasbro IP, but I admit that it isn't even that low of a bar to cross (Looks to Transformers). And while a Brony, I do actually see a few problems that logistically for critical reception; may be problematic (Pacing, Certain story elements, focusing on one character too much, and even that it may be a bit hard for people outside of seeing the show to understand).

That said, I have known a few people; not fans of the show or not even bronies that did love the film; but that it depends on reason. Some may say it's the return of classic 2D animation; something rarely seen in animation now here in western areas. Some may be on that it's how they went in with low expectations and liked what they saw. Some, took kids to see it. I think the film will have legs, only due to that for the next month; nothing major comes out in animation and that I think the audience reception of the film will grow. Not to mention, the critical score actually reached 70% a few times.

I think the big story here is that you thought it was better idea to go watch My Little Pony instead of Blade Runner.

I have more attachment to MLP than I ever do of Blade Runner in general. And that to me even if people will (as I do it from time to time myself), one may like something more than another thing. I am going to see Blade Runner, but that's more of a spectacle reason as opposed to a story reason.