New 2024 Event? (UOR) | Inside Universal Forums

New 2024 Event? (UOR)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
From @Joe on the TPS Discord, it seems 2024 is going to be introducing a new event to UOR. The contents of the event seems to be using SS25 as a potential venue, alongside it catering more towards something similar to Universal Cool Osaka; with Anime and Sci-Fi like IPs potentially as part of the lineup.

Estimated windows or timeframes are not clear at this moment in time, nor how wide the net this potential event could be.

star-trek-star-trek-tos.gif

Genuinely fascinated by how Universal will pull of this "Anime/Sci-Fi" event idea - especially with how they would sell/promote the event.

Reactions: tankart150
With all the rumblings of this finally coming, I'm totally down for it. Gives us good opportunities for experiences with IP's we normally wouldn't get otherwise.

The only time window that makes sense to me is January in the space where they tried to do the Potter event.

January would be a good timeframe simply because it's a "quieter" part of the season and therefore a good time to test something like this out. But it the back of my mind, there's also the potential of it being done as a Summer event, to go along with everything else that is planned to debut next year...and it just hit me that 2024 is NOT gonna' be a quiet year for Universal, they wanna' hit the ground running to lead up to Epic Universe.

January is no longer slow. It's pretty busy with people assuming its the "quiet season" and avoiding the summer, while lots of conventions and the Disney race weekend fill the parks.

Late April through May is the sweet spot, just as Mardi Gras wraps up. You could also question whether an event would also be required during the summer with crowds starting to avoid the summer heat.

Screamscape dropped a article about this new event...
Consider this a long term rumor about a concept that was in development by Universal to create another popular festival style event at Universal Studios Florida to take place sometime in the late spring following the Mardi Gras event until the start of the Summer season in June.
Currently the Universal Orlando resort has a pretty stacked slate of projects to fill their calendars. Following the busy summer season they’ve got Halloween Horror nights taking over all of September and October, the annual Christmas holiday events in both parks running from mid November through to New Years, followed by Mardi Gras in early to mid spring. According to the long term rumors from Screamscape sources, the parks may be looking to fill that last gap between Spring Break and Summer, and the early inspiration for this may have come from Japan.
Over the past several years Universal Studios Japan has put on a series of successful events featuring temporary attractions and displays throughout the park under the “Universal Cool Japan” event banner. The event celebrates an ever changing slate of Japanese Pop Culture icons including live action monsters like Godzilla, popular anime characters, Japanese video game series worlds and characters, and even the occasional musical performer. Universal Cool Japan blends a bit of digital fantasy and the wacky worlds of anime with a touch of Kaijui and horror influence to create a mega event all of their own that has developed a strong following.
According to my sources, Universal Orlando is looking to create their own such event that could premier as early as Late Spring 2024, but will do so by creating one made up entirely of American themed pop-culture themes, including some rumored throwbacks to Universal’s own film and theme park history. The popularity of the annual Tribute Stores in the park over the past few years has served as a test of sorts to determine things that really are popular with Universal guests.
While I don’t know everything that Universal has up their sleeve for this proposed event, the idea is to bring back some interesting iconic characters and themes, not only from Universal’s back catalog, but some themes that were once popular parts of the early Universal Orlando experience. Early concepts talked about bringing some characters back to the park for live performances, such as Bettlejuice’s Graveyard Revue on a stage, or to have the Ghostbusters roaming the park in Ecto 1. Anyone else remember the live street performance where the Ghostbusters would chase down Bettlejuice who in return would possess them and make them dance to songs like “Day-O”? How would you feel about the chance to experience a return of Back To The Future: The Ride? Just not inside the original attraction building (The Simpsons) but instead a temporary setup using the simulator bays of Race Through New York? Want to experience the terror of Jaws in a new throw-back attraction? While Universal can’t bring back the old Amity Island area, I’ve heard it has been pitched to re-program the Fast & Furious immersive tunnel scene to create a virtual shark attack sequence.
The end result is to create a special event that is a fun throwback to celebrate popular characters and film characters from the past that once had a tie to Universal Studios theme parks in one way or another. This could also result in the displaying of a lot of classic vehicles from Universal attractions making appearances for guest photos, which is something Universal has always done well with long-term displays of vehicles like the BTTF Delorean, Jurassic Park jeeps, the Blues Brothers squad car, Mystery Machine and more. I’ve already mentioned Ecto 1, but what about some fun 80’s Universal throwback vehicles like KITT or the A-Team van or a little Miami Vice vs Fast X? It’s all for fun… but with Universal Creative being heavily focused on finishing up the Epic Universe theme park by 2025, it sounds like Universal’s live entertainment creatives may be ready to try something new and fresh in the near future.

I will say, if we finally get the event in the near future, I only expect domestic IPs (mostly Universal-centric ones) to headline here.

Not going to get myself super excited for this, but I do love the idea of a new seasonal event. We should be mirroring some of the stuff USJ pulls off cause it seems to be super popular and the parks are gonna need some love during 2024 while everyone waits out Epic Universe.

Myself, end of April and May has always been our fav time to visit Universal and Disney. Weather is good, not a lot of rain, and crowds are moderate. So I'd love to see a Universal Festival then.

Myself, end of April and May has always been our fav time to visit Universal and Disney. Weather is good, not a lot of rain, and crowds are moderate. So I'd love to see a Universal Festival then.
This is what I did growing up. New Hampshire vacation were always last week of April. Post many state spring vacations, pre south Summer vacations. We’ve probably run into each other!