New Drone Patent from Universal | Inside Universal Forums

New Drone Patent from Universal

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Universal City Studios, a sister division of Universal Parks & Resorts, had a patent published on Nov. 29 called "Special Effects Techniques" that is looking at finding another use for unmanned aerial vehicles (or drones) to deliver special effects during shows, rides and, potentially, individual guests.

An unmanned aerial vehicle, e.g., multicopter, is outfitted to provide a special effect or special effects, becoming an untethered special effects platform. The specials effects delivered by such a platform could include water effects, scent cannons, compressed air blasts, steam blasts, theatrical smoke or fog, snow, bubbles, confetti, flame effects, or directional speakers and other audio effects. In one embodiment, the untethered special effect vehicle may be used in conjunction with a live show. The placement or path of the special effect may be pre-choreographed or provided in real-time to correspond to the show," said the patent.

For example, the patent talks about using drones during shows where they would be disguised as a character or object that interacts with actors. Drones could also be used to provide regular effects during a show, but without being constrained to a non-moving pole, which could allow for regular updates and changes to shows without having to always be restrained by a non-movable special effects platform.

http://www.bizjournals.com/losangel...ersal-looking-into-drones-for-theme-park.html

Interesting and I almost wonder if it's really just being taken out to beat Disney to the punch...

It more so seem related to Tapu Tapu and wands

The patent also states drones could also be used to communicate with wearable technology the guest may have — say maybe the TapuTapu bands at Universal Orlando Resort's Volcano Bay. "The guest [may target] the companion or an individual guest may target themselves. For example, a guest may wish to receive a cooling mist spray or a bubble effect. By providing an input to the handheld device or via the guest-wearable device, the special effects [drone] is instructed to move toward the guest," said the patent, which also said it could be used for in-park games or other live-action experiences.

There's event a mention on how drones can be equipped to read movements from a guest's handheld device like a wand, say from Harry Potter. "Other types of triggered special effects may be based on a fight or dueling experience, in which the wands trigger different types of special effects based on the wand motions. Special effects [drones] used in conjunction with such experiences may be implemented to carry onboard special effects modules associated with a successful wand motion, such as a flash or explosion effect as well as special effects modules associated with unsuccessful wand motion, such as confetti or a bubble effect."

Even individual rides could use drones to their advantage as seen in the patent as a dinosaur-themed ride where a drone is disguised as a flying dinosaur that can shoot flames. "In one embodiment, as a guest approaches the vicinity of the special effects vehicle, e.g., as determined via signals from the wearable device, a special effect is triggered, such as a flame effect. Multiple special effects vehicles may be programmed to execute random or pre-determined flight plans about the location of the ride to enhance the guest immersion."

Would be cool if you could just tap on taputapu when your feeling hot and a drone comes over and mists you or whatever.
Let's remember that the FAA only approved use of drones over water for Disney. This patent is definitely ambitious, but we have to remember that there are regulations that they need to go through and "personal drones" are something I have a really tough time seeing because of the potential HUGE liabilities if there's a system failure.

Let's remember that the FAA only approved use of drones over water for Disney. This patent is definitely ambitious, but we have to remember that there are regulations that they need to go through and "personal drones" are something I have a really tough time seeing because of the potential HUGE liabilities if there's a system failure.

It would also be dependent on the size of the drone as well...If Domino's and Amazon are allowed to deliver packages and pizza via drones in neighborhoods. I don't see how it will hurt Uni to try.

Reactions: Mike S and Nick
It would also be dependent on the size of the drone as well...If Domino's and Amazon are allowed to deliver packages and pizza via drones in neighborhoods. I don't see how it will hurt Uni to try.
I'm not saying trying can hurt at all. It can never hurt to try. I'm just saying we need to keep our expectations in check.

I agree with everything you're saying except it can never hurt to try.. it deeeffffinitely can hurt to try lol
What I mean is that it can't hurt for them to brainstorm these ideas. Although it could definitely hurt if they went through with it and then someone gets bopped in the head.

Reactions: Joel