New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando? | Page 25 | Inside Universal Forums

New Water Park coming to Universal Orlando?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on HTF's late night tweet on the subject, this seems like a good time to bring this thread up to date. The indication is that Wondersea Island is the official name of Universal's new water park, targeted at a 2016 opening. With an indication of an undersea Despicable Me themed attraction, will this be just the first of many themes for the new water park?
Who's ready to meet Gru in his Speedo?

Am I the only one who thinks that 200 million for an entire park is really cheap? Even 50 million seems ludicrously cheap. The amount of infrastructure needed to move all that water alone seems like it would take up half of that easily.

Typically I HATE water parks. I think they're disgusting, poorly themed, and they aren't even subtle about trying to drain every cent from your wallet. The worst part is that everything is open space so the crowds are around you instead of in queues.

Between WnW Emerald Point in NC, WnW Orlando (ugh), Blizzard Beach, and Aquatica, I have liked none of them. Though, BB was admittedly the best. The best waterpark I ever went to was Atlantis in Paradise Island.

Because Nassal was responsible for Atlantis, and their close relationship with UO, I have a little hope here. I really hope that Universal finds a way that defies the waterpark stereotype.

They need to find a nice balance between slides, wave pools, and people eating attractions to keep everything less crowded. Take Atlantis or Aquatica and add in a barge type ride or log flume (hint, hint) and that should hopefully control things a bit better.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks that 200 million for an entire park is really cheap? Even 50 million seems ludicrously cheap. The amount of infrastructure needed to move all that water alone seems like it would take up half of that easily.

Not for a water park, it is quite a lot less compared to a theme park. They are much smaller, with a lot less "moving parts" :thumbs:

Not really a HUGE fan of water parks either. Typhoon Lagoon is by far my favorite though. I got to experience it at night for a private Surf Expo and it was tons of fun. A very beautiful park. On the other hand, I did not really care for Aquatica.

I love waterparks when on holiday as doing three weeks condensed into theme parks and shopping every day it gets tiring, I go easy at the waterparks and they are my relaxing days. I've been to Aquatica, Typhoon Lagoon and Wet N Wild in Orlando. I'd rate them in that order as well, WNW is far too much concrete. Typhoon Lagoon was good just nothing amazed me. Find Aquatica's theme and mix of rides the best. Going to Blizzard beach on the next vacation, looking forward to this park.

Any considerations of where it may be? Wet N' Wild Property?

Yas waterworld pics - http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/yas-waterworld/photos

Yas is at 15 hectares, 37 acres.
Typhoon lagoon is 61 acres

Wet N wild is 30 acres

Do they use the current plot of land that WnW resides on? or do they go to the plot on property that is expected to be hotel #5 or cabana bay expansion? Would it be smart of them to buy the village international shopping plaza next door and tear that down along with the terrible put put golf in order to acquire more land?

This is going to be exciting

Any considerations of where it may be? Wet N' Wild Property?

Yas waterworld pics - http://www.thethemeparkguy.com/park/yas-waterworld/photos

Yas is at 15 hectares, 37 acres.
Typhoon lagoon is 61 acres

Wet N wild is 30 acres

Do they use the current plot of land that WnW resides on? or do they go to the plot on property that is expected to be hotel #5 or cabana bay expansion? Would it be smart of them to buy the village international shopping plaza next door and tear that down along with the terrible put put golf in order to acquire more land?

This is going to be exciting

Honestly if Universal builds a new water park for $200 million, it's going to be a 60-70 acre park so I'd say a different plot with WnW used for something else (CityWalk 2.0? another value resort?)

Honestly if Universal builds a new water park for $200 million, it's going to be a 60-70 acre park so I'd say a different plot with WnW used for something else (CityWalk 2.0? another value resort?)

Universal purchased a lot of land near Wet and Wild.

wetandwildproperty.png

How neat would it be if the water park went over the street? Build a parking garage on the unpaved parcels to the south, then build a massive expansion where the existing parking lot is.

But I don't think we'll see a stand-alone CityWalk 2.0, if we get another one it would probably be part of another campus.

Last edited:

wetandwildproperty.png

How neat would it be if the water park went over the street? Build a parking garage on the unpaved parcels to the south, then build a massive expansion where the existing parking lot is.

But I don't think we'll see a stand-alone CityWalk 2.0, if we get another one it would probably be part of another campus.

I do like the idea of building a bridge between the new water park and the parking garage where WnW (park and parking lot)! It would be quite a visual... just looking forward to discovering the details on JP, Kong, Seuss, KidZone and this waterpark!!

As I said when this was brought up for the Cabana Bay bridge, I have a feeling this is a test for the WnW property giving them the ability to expand it using the parking area. They could easily build a parking structure to create even more space where the current parking lot is and free up plenty of room, and loosing the Wet N Wild name wouldn't be the worst idea since there are other Wet N Wild properties and they will want to create a unique brand identity.

As I said when this was brought up for the Cabana Bay bridge, I have a feeling this is a test for the WnW property giving them the ability to expand it using the parking area. They could easily build a parking structure to create even more space where the current parking lot is and free up plenty of room, and loosing the Wet N Wild name wouldn't be the worst idea since there are other Wet N Wild properties and they will want to create a unique brand identity.

[video=youtube_share;UfOgYkb1JCA]http://youtu.be/UfOgYkb1JCA[/video]

wetandwildproperty.png

They can, of course, fill the water and use that land for more rides and the beach infinity pool

The property on the side that is currently parking is as big as the property that is currently WnW. What if they build on the parking side first, then connect/remodel the existing waterpark side. After looking at photos of the original parking lots of Universal and how they were transformed into part of IOA, it's obvious they can perform miraculous changes.

The property on the side that is currently parking is as big as the property that is currently WnW. What if they build on the parking side first, then connect/remodel the existing waterpark side. After looking at photos of the original parking lots of Universal and how they were transformed into part of IOA, it's obvious they can perform miraculous changes.

That's what I am thinking, and they can make the bridges feel like just part of the park.

Here is an aerial that includes more of the surroundings. I am pondering if Uni acquires some more of the neighboring parcels. :meditate:

wetandwildarial.png

A few hotels sit on the lake that Wet n Wild sits on...if thats where said waterpark is going to go its mot going to be a very immersive place...

Also, what would they do about the traffic situation? You can build all the garages you want but if the roads surrounding you cant support it, its no good. Assuming Universal would not only build a bigger waterpark but also more of a headliner than Wet N Wild, there would need to be a lot more space for traffic. I-Drive is already miserable and Universal Blvd is two narrow lanes. Theyre going to have to think of some big ways to improve the roads if this is going to be the case--traffic was one of the main reasons Orlando Thrill Park never passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.