New York/Chicago Expansion | Inside Universal Forums

New York/Chicago Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jun 7, 2013
Santa Barbara, CA
Kudos on another great video cast.  It’s great getting to know you guys, and to hear your thoughtful and passionate take on USH, as the most unique entertainment venue around.   All this talk of unifying the themed lands has got me thinking about the overall look and feel of the park.

I must admit that after the entrance plaza, there is a sort of no-man’s-land with the Hollywood Photoland, House of Horrors, Studio Grill, Cartooniversal, and Blues Brother’s R&B Revue and the path to Waterworld.  Frankly, I’d like to see the New York/Chicago theme start right away, after the California themed entrance plaza.

Let’s put Chicago on the left, with your photo center, then some Chicago themed foods and gifts, and a venue for the Blues Brothers.  On the corner that leads to the Streets of the World and Despicable Me, let’s put in the Chicago Theatre marquee, with an entrance to “Universal’s Monsters Horror Film Festival: The Ride (Does it bother anyone else that they stick ‘the ride’ and now ‘3D’ after everything?!).  This trackless dark ride begins with a fancy movie theatre queue, and loads riders in theatre seats that become trackless dark ride vehicles which take you through the screen and into the world of each monster!  Not only does Universal beat Disney to the trackless system, but this ride has live actors and animatronics.  Take that Imagineering.  The transition to London and now Universal Plaza would work fine.

The left side of the street takes us to new York, with an alleyway that leads us to a new stunt show based on the Bourne film series (or The Fast and the Furious if you insist, just replace the current show!), which fits well into the metropolitan sets.  Adios fake Kevin Costner, and your 18 year reign. 

The transition to the Western sets works fine, but some work will need to be done to reconfigure Shrek, and make the whole Duloc area more cohesive.  I’m still working on what to do with the Flintstones fairway and the empty center of the south side of the Entertainment Center/Upper Lot.  After that, I guess we’ll be onto the path to Harry Potter, then Studio Tour Entrance/Shop, and Simpson’s Springfield.  After the StarWay (help needed!) we have fake soundstages (again, uh, ok.) and onto DM and SHFL.  Pretty cohesive, but I’ll leave it to the folks at Universal Creative to figure this whole thing out.

Hi Geren,

Nice to see you on the forums. Welcome!

I'm thinking if Universal were to ever pursue an expansion of its New York street, it would simply follow a more metropolitan theme. So in other words, no clear distinction between Chicago or New York. Even then, Shrek is burdensome since it doesn't fit with anything else at the park, and it doesn't have the luxury of expanding like the Simpsons or Despicable Me.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Flintstones, and as for your other suggestions - I'll guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm personally not a fan of themed lands, so I'm actually hoping it doesn't play out. Theming Animal Actors is one thing, but I'm starting to think it's not indicative of an park-wide retheming effort.

Does it bother anyone else that they stick ‘the ride’ and now ‘3D’ after everything?!)
Haha. We actually joke about that quite often. Universal's not that creative when it comes to naming things. I always joke about a possible Bench: The Ride - 720 4D.

^ Bench The Ride? Isn't that basically Forbidden Journey since we're on "enchanted benches"? ;) haha

I think "The Ride" is only appropriate when it needs to differentiate itself from the movie. Like Jurassic Park The Ride and Back To The Future The Ride.

Stuff like Revenge of the Mummy doesn't need The Ride IMO.

I think Kong's title is the most obnoxious one. 360 3D? I mean, sounds cool but...very gimmicky title. Almost like a video game title. It's not even fully truly 360 ;)

I wish they kept the original title for the new Kong:

KING KONG: Return To Skull Island :)

Oh, and I personally would love to see an extension of the metropolitan sets on the upper lot. Would look amazing! And it won't technically make it a "land", it would just be extra theming to make you feel like you're on the actual sets from the backlot :)

And I'd love for House of Horrors to be replaced with a Horror/Monster ride! Would be epic. I had a super similar idea to yours in another thread, I think I called it Monster Mania or something :p

Reactions: gpiltz
Thanks for the great feedback everyone, and glad to join the ranks of similar creative minds.  I dig classic monsters, and find them to be a nice contrast to the current cartoon invasion, plus with all the monster reboots, I think its time to feel their presence in a fresh way.  I feel like I know Disneyland intimately, but I love that the ever changing nature of Universal, along with its organic development leaves room for discovery.  I don't need themed lands, but hope that if they do so, they give us Florida detail. And, that visual reveal of the former BTTF IFT building, and the epic view beyond is pretty stunning.  I remember when there was nothing there but a few small exhibits, and the backlot and Burbank beyond.  I must now go pay tribute to KITT by visiting the fountains outside the covered eating area for Flintstone's Barbecue!

I know this is getting off topic, but, with all the recent hit-and-miss reboots of both Universal and related production properties, such as A-Team (FOX), Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Miami Vice, Conan the Barbarian (Universal Family Properties) I am surprised we don't see more tributes to those IP's in the park.  Reaching outside their realm, and with Disney buying Lucasfilm and Star Wars, along with Paramount getting out of the domestic themed entertainmetn business, Universal could rock Star Trek now.

Gosh, imagine Star Trek replacing the Simpsons. That's probably the only property that can do justice to the now old ride system. The visions in my head....oh my.
i said that on bttf replacements that said. i would just like to see nbcuniversal exprience take hoh as a large museum like one floor it's some of the famous cars and on the second floor all prop's, costumes,and makeup.

Reactions: BruceTheShark
i said that on bttf replacements that said. i would just like to see nbcuniversal exprience take hoh as a large museum like one floor it's some of the famous cars and on the second floor all prop's, costumes,and makeup.
I don't want to lose House of Horrors, but I definitely want to see more recognizable props throughout the park. It was so cool to see props in the park when I was younger.

This is what I posted on Facebook:

It's definitely in the wrong location, very hidden. I personally think Universal should definitely invest in moving and expanding the museum. I like the prop idea as well, Chris! It COULD be a high priority for them if they put their minds to it. Instead of just a museum, it can be an interactive museum, more so than now. Have quizes, motion activated props, etc. You enter through a room with some history of the studio and Laemmle, then enter Multiple photo ops inside with backdrops, costume department exhibit, prop department, "Featured Movie" exhibit (always rotated), Oscar room, animation room (with interactive voice over games), NBC/TV room, Picture Car room (a few cars), etc, and maybe even a "theme park history" room that details some previous attractions at the park and tour.

I'd save the HOH location (and the Globe behind it) for an eventual ride replacement. I'd put the new Universal Experience museum right at the entrance, prime spot. Remove the Featured shop and Hollywood Grill and slightly expand the footprint and maybe make it two leveled and you have an excellent prime spot for the museum!

I know NBCUE isn't that popular with the theme park crowd, but I feel that it's only because it's a tiny little exhibit that's outshined by the nearby E Tickets. Also because they're not that interactive. Make the musuem fun with lots of photo ops! Theme park fans love the attractions that are very "movie crowd" oriented, like SES and the Studio Tour. NBCUE shouldn't be any different. My SUPER ideal spot for a new Universal Experience wouldve been inside the new Art Deco icon. That would've been brilliant planning. New park icon with museum inside!

Loving the interactive museum idea, Allen!  I took the Warner Brother's tour last year, and they have a two story prop, costume, and history museum that is stunning, but meant for small crowds.  I know that Universal could expand this idea greatly for crowd flow and engagement.  WB also has parts of soundstages set aside to feature things like pictures cars, props, sets, and production examples (foley, textures, construction methods, etc.)  With so much CGI these days, and ebay for contraband pieces of collectibles, it's rare that we'll see large props sitting around and rotting on the backlot anymore, so I hope they would choose to feature what they do have in a larger space.  Would also love to see the tram actually go through some of the shops and wherehouses again if that lets them feature special items.

The whole reason I mentioned this area originally, is that the scale of entering the epic gate and plaza makes this area feel flat and pedestrian.  Florida has an odd entrance, having to turn right after entering the turnstiles to get a view, but I'd like to see a continuation of that grand scale, even in an intimate park.  Much like Disneyland is to the Magic Kingdom, Universal is very intimate as compared to USF, which is why this transition of scale affects me.

I would love a NBCUniversal full experience interactive experience( I remember the quizzes they had at the I love Lucy Tribute that was a lot of fun. :) ) but the majority of people want Rides and Shows( and even more rides. to bad their all becoming screens) but only after USH invested in more live show.

I'm well aware that guests want rides rides RIDES RIIIIIIDES non-stop but the Studio Tour and Special Effects Stage are popular with guests because guests who come to Universal DO love the whole interactive studio elements and behind the scenes stuff. If they made a large walk through museum with interactive elements, I can guarantee you it'd be pretty popular.

I'm well aware that guests want rides rides RIDES RIIIIIIDES non-stop but the Studio Tour and Special Effects Stage are popular with guests because guests who come to Universal DO love the whole interactive studio elements and behind the scenes stuff. If they made a large walk through museum with interactive elements, I can guarantee you it'd be pretty popular.
Popular to only those who know NBC and Universal History( Like Me and You) but I dont know if other guest will return after one round. It would have to be kept current and use of universals box office giants in the attraction to keep guest coming back. I would love to see old Hollywood stuff but i dout most younger(targeted crowd) guests would.

Reactions: Jon Fu
Oh no, of COURSE it would have rotating exhibits to be current! Same as the current one! It obviously won't be as popular as rides, but if they keep it a nice mix between historical exhibits and newer exhibits, it'd be as popular as a museum could be! :)

Popular to only those who know NBC and Universal History( Like Me and You) but I dont know if other guest will return after one round. It would have to be kept current and use of universals box office giants in the attraction to keep guest coming back. I would love to see old Hollywood stuff but i dout most younger(targeted crowd) guests would.
I think this is the main thing that's stopping them. History is great, but I don't think it has the lure to build a new one.

If they built it to be interactive enough and have enough current exhibits and great photo ops and rotating exhibits but on a larger scale, I think it would have more than enough lure :) Again, not a big ride or massive attraction, but it could be popular enough the way I see it. It wouldn't have to be fully about old USH history. When I visited NBCUE a few days ago, it was PACKED. Continually packed! And not just cuz of the heat, people were genuinely excited to see the DeLorean and stood at the different exhibits for a while!

And if they added interactive elements, like moving props, effects, quizes, video, projections, and even a voice-over activity in the Animation exhibit, I think it would be a hit. Especially in the summer time for guests to go through a walk through for the whole family in an air conditioned building.

When I visited USF in 2002, maintainence worker 'artists' were literally putting incredible detail into the new York Street sets; rubbing cigarette butts and throwing moss and dirt at the walls.  We should be setting our expectations at Wizarding World level for everything Universal does, because they can.  I don't want to just see Jaws weakly wiggle at me any more.  I want a huge Kraken to come out of the lake and EAT JAWS, then get blown out of the water by a full size submarine!  I want to be attacked by a huge alien ship in the sky while visiting the War of the Worlds set.  Forget dancing cars on Kuka arms; get the tram in an urban street race, with helicopters shooting at us.  I want to barely escape large epic outdoor disasters, falling rocks and landslides that lead to an avalanche, bridges crumbling completely into raging rivers, then get carried downtream and sinking to explore an underwater world.  Take me to Atlantis or the Center of the Earth with huge wild animatronic creatures.  A full western shootout with horseback riders and a huge runaway locomotive.  A backdraft warehouse fire!  These things that touch every archetypal genre do not become outdated.  Universal is gritty and unapologetic, with live actors and things on FIRE, unlike the Mouse House.  It's time to embrace our past, welcome the future, and time to expect more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also suggested about having a Star Trek attraction, but it seems those rights belong to Cedar Point...

Last edited by a moderator: