Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 11 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Last edited:
I entirely agree. I think Mario and Pokemon are the two locks for this area.

The question becomes, do you have just one Mario themed ride or two? I mean, they could do a classic no height Mario dark ride and then a slightly bigger MarioKart ride.

Pokémon isn't as cut and dry, as it's not 100% Nintendo owned. I think it'll get worked out, but I'd say Mario is the only definite.

As for rides, Mario definitely gets the E-ticket (or one of the E-ticket, who knows what the final plans will be). Maybe another ride? But I think we get 3-4 rides of varying sizes overall.

That's an educated guess, BTW.

Wow, what a crazy announcement! Personally, I couldn't be less excited for it but whatever.

I do think that that "more kids know Mario than Mickey Mouse" is kinda taken out of context here though. What year was that study done? What was the nationality makeup of the participants? Obviously Nintendo characters are going to be more popular in Japan.

I would guess Universal tests out the American market for a while, selling merch and having some promotional tie-ins and survey-based research. If it seems to go over well over here, then I'm guessing a ride will be rolled out. As to the whole miniland debate, I think the solution is simple...just make one huge anchor ride utilizing every major Nintendo character and then a bunch of smaller rides surrounding that can be themed individually, in one all-encompassing video game environment.

Pokémon isn't as cut and dry, as it's not 100% Nintendo owned. I think it'll get worked out, but I'd say Mario is the only definite.

As for rides, Mario definitely gets the E-ticket (or one of the E-ticket, who knows what the final plans will be). Maybe another ride? But I think we get 3-4 rides of varying sizes overall.

That's an educated guess, BTW.

Huh, I never realized Nintendo did not own it outright until now. How on earth have they kept it exclusive?

I was assuming about 4 rides myself, some dining experiences, meet and greets, and maybe a show. I wonder if they will put in a playground again as, removing Fievel, they will no longer have a playground in the park at all.

Wow, what a crazy announcement! Personally, I couldn't be less excited for it but whatever.

I do think that that "more kids know Mario than Mickey Mouse" is kinda taken out of context here though.
I would guess Universal tests out the American market for a while, selling merch and having some promotional tie-ins and survey-based research. If it seems to go over well over here, then I'm guessing a ride will be rolled out. As to the whole miniland debate, I think the solution is simple...just make one huge anchor ride utilizing every major Nintendo character and then a bunch of smaller rides surrounding that can be themed individually, in one all-encompassing video game environment.

Woah! i dont think it stated that its more poplar with kids DID IT?!?! cause i know that is far from true but with the overall world wide audience i would think mario atleast in those days put up a GREAT fight to the mouse.

as for the bold text... you mean sit around and pull a disney? :rofl:

and just make "A Great Video Game Ride"? lmao why does this all sound so familiar?! :ears:

my money is on the fact that universal has done their research and is ready to pull the trigger. IF this is to go in USF and all fingers point to YES on that front. (cough cough JS)

Ive fantasized for a long time about a Zelda dark ride. And with this news today it may actually happen. I don't know how to take this but I'm excited to see how its handled.

As far as Pokemon I could see some kind of SFX show like Posiedon's fury with water and fire effects. I hope UC is paying attention…

But yeah Mario definitely needs some kind of whimsical Haunted Mansion/Mystic Manor style attraction.

Zelda deserves a thrill...

Nintendo has been a household name in America for near 3 decades, but yea, sure, they need to test the market out first.

:inquisitive:

I dont know why the snarkiness is necessary anytime you have a differing opinion. Its pretty annoying and unbecoming of you.

- - - Updated - - -

Woah! i dont think it stated that its more poplar with kids DID IT?!?! cause i know that is far from true but with the overall world wide audience i would think mario atleast in those days put up a GREAT fight to the mouse.

as for the bold text... you mean sit around and pull a disney? :rofl:

and just make "A Great Video Game Ride"? lmao why does this all sound so familiar?! :ears:

my money is on the fact that universal has done their research and is ready to pull the trigger. IF this is to go in USF and all fingers point to YES on that front. (cough cough JS)

I was thinking like "Avengers of Nintendo"...solves the problem of deciding who deserves what and also allows for some smaller rides that Universal should have.

Snarky and unbecoming is what I put on my dating profiles. They're my two best attributes.

But mostly it's because the idea that Nintendo needs to be "tested" is ludicrous.

How could I have been more clear when I said the words "I would guess"?

EDIT: And anyway, what I meant by that is to gauge how popular it is. It's not like Harry Potter that already has proven track record at the box office...there hasn't been any singular BIG indicator of Nintendo's success lately that I know of. I would think they wouldn't want to make a Diagon Alley level expansion unless merch is flying off of the shelves. It can determine how big they go.

Last edited:
Snarky and unbecoming is what I put on my dating profiles

hmm so this is why your still single?
tumblr_mqzy8xURQ11s7rhw6o1_400.gif

jk love ya Sean :p

Amazing News. This has been an incredible couple days for Universal. I really look forward to seeing what Universal does with this License.

A part of me has been wondering if we may possibly see Nintendo put to use in Hollywood before we see it in Orlando. There are many rumors circulating on what to expect at UOR for 2017 and a few years beyond (Volcano Bay, Fast and Furious, Fallon, Marvel Makeover, ect....) But after the Wizarding World opens in Hollywood next summer there hasn't been any rumors as to what could come next for Hollywood. If the "new attraction for EACH park every year" stands true I could see Hollywood getting some sort of Nintendo based attraction for 2017. Possibly on the lower lot where Soundstage 28 was demo'ed next to Transformers. In typical Universal fashion of "plusing" the original perhaps Hollywood will just get an attraction where in Florida the attraction will get a whole land around it.

How could I have been more clear when I said the words "I would guess"?

EDIT: And anyway, what I meant by that is to gauge how popular it is. It's not like Harry Potter that already has proven track record at the box office...there hasn't been any singular BIG indicator of Nintendo's success lately that I know of. I would think they wouldn't want to make a Diagon Alley level expansion unless merch is flying off of the shelves. It can determine how big they go.

I mean, Nintendo's IP software sells like hotcakes. That's really all that's needed. not to mention Amiibos selling out like crazy.

hmm so this is why your still single?

There's not enough time in the day to explain that one. :lol:

While this is cool news, I just can't really join in on the hype. I had the Wii for like a year when it first came out and I've played Sonic & Mario Karts a few times long ago. But I do think it would be cool to see a Nintendo area at Universal, just don't expect me to be nerding out when it happens. Plus, I don't imagine a Fallout 3 or COD ride coming anytime soon!

Not sure how anyone could be against this seeing as it will be replacing the terrible Kid Zone according to rumors. I am wishing they are bringing Pokemon also. An Ollivanders type show where you get to pick your starting Pokemon would be a huge hit. Then they can sell poke balls with different Pokemon in them like wands. Then use the Interactvitiy of the wands and have interactive balls throughout the area to catch more.

This is awesome news. Never was a big gamer but always loved everything Nintendo put out. Pretty sure aside from the past few DS's, I've owned every console they've put out. Love anything Mario and Donkey Kong, and took a liking to Link after he became my go to guy in Smash Bros on Wii U. So this is very exciting. Mario Kart coaster would be great. Not sure if there is enough room in KidZone, but who knows. There's enough Nintendo properties for a separate theme park alone

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, so I figure I'll throw this out there.

Interactive side experiences seem to be both popular and money-making based on how many people buy and run around with the wands. You know what comes to mind immediately when I think of that in a Nintendo context? An interactive Pokemon capture/battle "adventure," kind of a cross between the wands and Sorcerers of the MK using interactive Pokeballs. I've managed to hold off on buying a wand, but the idea of an interactive Pokeball for something like that...I'd almost certainly cave and open my wallet.

Man, the possibilities really are nearly endless!

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, so I figure I'll throw this out there.

Interactive side experiences seem to be both popular and money-making based on how many people buy and run around with the wands. You know what comes to mind immediately when I think of that in a Nintendo context? An interactive Pokemon capture/battle "adventure," kind of a cross between the wands and Sorcerers of the MK using interactive Pokeballs. I've managed to hold off on buying a wand, but the idea of an interactive Pokeball for something like that...I'd almost certainly cave and open my wallet.

Man, the possibilities really are nearly endless!

Yea, I spitballed something similar on twitter. Have an Ollivanders-like experience where someone gets to choose their starting pokemon, then use an RFID pokeball to interact with certain parts around the land to catch new ones.