Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 211 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't see Zelda happening at every park. Feels very much like a "Might happen in Orlando at some point if things go really well" sort of IP, but would never be something the scale of a Mario or Pokemon area and I wouldn't see it getting priority over Pokemon. But it is the next in line after those two.

But those two are VERY massive. Zelda is popular and well regarded by videogame standards, Mario and Pokemon were and continue to be phenomenons in branding themselves.

Then you get down to stuff like Starfox, Metroid, or F-Zero and it's something you probably won't even find in a gift shop. These games are way too niche and not even that well loved in Japan.(I mean maaaaaaybe a lapel pin or something, but I have a hard time seeing much at all.)

Reactions: fryoj
I don't see Zelda happening at every park. Feels very much like a "Might happen in Orlando at some point if things go really well" sort of IP, but would never be something the scale of a Mario or Pokemon area and I wouldn't see it getting priority over Pokemon. But it is the next in line after those two.

But those two are VERY massive. Zelda is popular and well regarded by videogame standards, Mario and Pokemon were and continue to be phenomenons in branding themselves.

Then you get down to stuff like Starfox, Metroid, or F-Zero and it's something you probably won't even find in a gift shop. These games are way too niche and not even that well loved in Japan.(I mean maaaaaaybe a lapel pin or something, but I have a hard time seeing much at all.)
Mario, Zelda, Pokémon. Three IPs, soon to be three parks in Orlando. Think of it like how they expanded Harry Potter.

Mario, Zelda, Pokémon. Three IPs, soon to be three parks in Orlando. Think of it how they expanded Harry Potter.

Oh no doubt, that's why I find Orlando the best hope for Zelda. Sorry, I should have said every region rather than park... I blame a long annoying day. :p

Reactions: Mike S
Mario, Zelda, Pokémon. Three IPs, soon to be three parks in Orlando. Think of it like how they expanded Harry Potter.

I just don't see it. Zelda, as a whole, has sold around 80 million units over 30 years. For comparison, The Sims has sold 175 million, and I can't imagine a scenario where we would ever see a Sims land in any serious park. And before you say anything about it being done just because it would make a good theme park land, World of Warcraft has good options for that, had months where it had 12 million users, and I really can't see a Warcraft land coming any time soon. I just don't think the Zelda fan base is that big. This isn't like Potter where they are giving you different areas of the main story. This is a completely different world and is just not big enough to dedicate a land to. Possibly a single ride, but I'm personally hesitant on that even. For Zelda to happen, either it has to be in the contract that Uni has to build it, or they'd have to have a Zelda movie come out that does big numbers.

Reactions: Joel
No Donkey Kong?

Donkey Kong is included in Mario, for all intents and purposes.

I just don't see it. Zelda, as a whole, has sold around 80 million units over 30 years. For comparison, The Sims has sold 175 million, and I can't imagine a scenario where we would ever see a Sims land in any serious park. And before you say anything about it being done just because it would make a good theme park land, World of Warcraft has good options for that, had months where it had 12 million users, and I really can't see a Warcraft land coming any time soon. I just don't think the Zelda fan base is that big. This isn't like Potter where they are giving you different areas of the main story. This is a completely different world and is just not big enough to dedicate a land to. Possibly a single ride, but I'm personally hesitant on that even. For Zelda to happen, either it has to be in the contract that Uni has to build it, or they'd have to have a Zelda movie come out that does big numbers.

I think you're going to be surprised. They've toyed with concepts for Zelda to be included in this way more than they've even looked at Pokémon, afaik.

And even if people haven't played Zelda, I dare say the enjoyment of a potential attraction would be universal. It's classic adventure.
Exactly.

Just like next to no one has seen Song of the South, but that still doesn't make it any less of an attraction. Most people won't truly remember Avatar too well when they step foot in Pandora next year, but it won't change your experience while there. A ride is only as good as it's designed to be.

The IP really can matter very little sometimes. You could have one of the biggest IPs out there at the present time (*cough*Frozen*cough*), but that doesn't mean it's going to be the best attraction...

And even if people haven't played Zelda, I dare say the enjoyment of a potential attraction would be universal. It's classic adventure.
That's exactly why I think it'd be perfect in IOA as a Lost Continent replacement. Video game fans would obviously be attracted to it and love it, plus it would fill a similar niche to what it was before for non-video game fans: a classic adventure-themed land. (except this time, done 10000x better)

Zelda in a Mystic Manor style attraction... I rest my case lol. No but seriously Zelda offers a unique and amazing story and fits so well as a themepark attraction it's scary. I think worst case scenario Zelda splits a land with DK at the 3rd gate.

Reactions: anihilnation
Zelda in a Mystic Manor style attraction... I rest my case lol. No but seriously Zelda offers a unique and amazing story and fits so well as a themepark attraction it's scary. I think worst case scenario Zelda splits a land with DK at the 3rd gate.
Wait... what?

Would be weird to get more Donkey Kong in a separate gate. Maybe you get launched from barrel cannon to the other park?

2ebwbhx.gif

I like the idea of Mario related content being in studios, Zelda as LC replacement and Pokemon for 3rd park.

As much as I like LC (yes even what is left of it) it will never be what it once was and I think Zelda would make for a great replacement. I also think they could work Mythos into a Zelda land without any (or at least not many) changes to it. Would be a bummer to lose Mythos so hopefully they would keep it with Zelda.

Regarding the popularity of Zelda, I could see it getting passed over in Japan since they aren't nearly as crazy about it as the West, but I can't see anyway it would get passed over here. Maybe just a miniland and not a big full blown land, but I think Zelda is big enough and has the name recognition to be more than just a single attraction here in the US. The only way I see Zelda not going into the parks in Florida is if this initial Nintendo land tanks, which isn't going to happen.

Also, keep in mind Zelda is only available on Nintendo consoles. Games like the Sims has an advantage in install base since everyone has a pc. There are people like me who buy Nintendo consoles just for Zelda , though that's not to say I don't enjoy Nintendo's other properties because I do, it's just that Zelda is what gets me to make the purchase. There are others who like Zelda but just aren't in the position or can justify spending the $$ on a console just for Zelda. Not only that, Zelda titles sell anywhere between $40-$60 depending on whether its console or handheld and prices rarely drop even years after release. So even though a game like the Sims may havemore raw sales I don't think they tell the full story. Zelda also usually goes like 5 years between mainline titles.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Mario related content being in studios, Zelda as LC replacement and Pokemon for 3rd park.

As much as I like LC (yes even what is left of it) it will never be what it once was and I think Zelda would make for a great replacement. I also think they could work Mythos into a Zelda land without any (or at least not many) changes to it. Would be a bummer to lose Mythos so hopefully they would keep it with Zelda.

Regarding the popularity of Zelda, I could see it getting passed over in Japan since they aren't nearly as crazy about it as the West, but I can't see anyway it would get passed over here. Maybe just a miniland and not a big full blown land, but I think Zelda is big enough and has the name recognition to be more than just a single attraction here in the US. The only way I see Zelda not going into the parks in Florida is if this initial Nintendo land tanks, which isn't going to happen
The outer architecture of Mythos would have to be completely changed if it stayed. Pretty much a total demo of LC would have to happen which is what I hope because Zelda deserves more than just a retheming of existing buildings and attractions.

Pokémon is huge so it would be a very good Nintendo themed anchor for the new park. Would be the most likely expansion to be cloned as well.

The outer architecture of Mythos would have to be completely changed if it stayed. Pretty much a total demo of LC would have to happen which is what I hope because Zelda deserves more than just a retheming of existing buildings and attractions.

Pokémon is huge so it would be a very good Nintendo themed anchor for the new park. Would be the most likely expansion to be cloned as well.

Idk, I feel they could keep mythos depending on what type of environment they use for a potential Zelda land. If they wanted to strictly do Hyrule castle and Temple of Time, then yea may be hard to make it fit in. I see your point though, they shouldn't limit themselves based on trying to save the restaurant

Idk, I feel they could keep mythos depending on what type of environment they use for a potential Zelda land. If they wanted to strictly do Hyrule castle and Temple of Time, then yea may be hard to make it fit in. I see your point though, they shouldn't limit themselves based on trying to save the restaurant
My point is that no Zelda game except maybe a small bit of Zelda II on NES has Greek/Roman god themed architecture that Mythos would be able to fit in the land.

Reactions: Brer Oswald