Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 508 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
it makes sense to me.... Your favorite restaurant is going to open down the street next month!..... well next year... well it might open... in possibly 5 years but details are a bit sketchy right now. :Three years pass: It will definitely open in 4 more years!

:party:

Nah, it's not like that at all. If it moved to the new park it got delayed ~2 years. It's not like it's not happening. They signed the contracts. It'll happen. To me it's like saying "I can't wait for this? What? Two more years? Lol nah I don't care anymore."

He guys long time lurker figured I'd dip my toe in. I just wanted to know if this is Fake news.

Universal Studios adding major new attractions to its Orlando theme park | WFTV

Welcome!

Mario/DK moving to park 3: Looks likely (personally I say this is 100% the case)
Pokémon coming: Highly speculative, though Universal would be dumb not to consider it
Pokémon in 2020: Pure BS (IMO)

He guys long time lurker figured I'd dip my toe in. I just wanted to know if this is Fake news.

Universal Studios adding major new attractions to its Orlando theme park | WFTV

Welcome to IU!

As for what is thrown into that,

Mario/Yoshi/DK Moving to Gate III - With the vibe here at IU, it's starting to become seemingly more likely at this point.
Pokemon coming - I will indulge that this is something that should be looked at, but that I haven't heard much of Pokemon's chances in Orlando.

Reactions: Antonio Townes
Thanks f
Nah, it's not like that at all. If it moved to the new park it got delayed ~2 years. It's not like it's not happening. They signed the contracts. It'll happen. To me it's like saying "I can't wait for this? What? Two more years? Lol nah I don't care anymore."

Welcome!

Mario/DK moving to park 3: Looks likely (personally I say this is 100% the case)
Pokémon coming: Highly speculative, though Universal would be dumb not to consider it
Pokémon in 2020: Pure BS (IMO)

Thanks! It had me thinking Pokemon could be an easy reskin for Kidzone and could be done by 2020. But I call BS as well.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
Based on the cost of SNW in Japan coming to $400 million+..., I'd expect that to be the kind of costs we're talking about...

These IP contracts are pretty strict in terms of required spending/building costs; SNW won't be cheap anywhere.

As for separate Pokemon and Zelda lands, those are probably a bit more fluid since they're only specific to Orlando at this point.

Reactions: Antonio Townes
it makes sense to me.... Your favorite restaurant is going to open down the street next month!..... well next year... well it might open... in possibly 5 years but details are a bit sketchy right now. :Three years pass: It will definitely open in 4 more years!

:party:

Part of it is this. Avatarland 2.0. But also the longer it takes...the more likely that other more attractive IPs & ideas pop up. And the further that Nintendo slips from the consciousness of targeted audience. My 13 year old nephew loved Nintendo when he was 8 or 9.....now he is totally oblivious to it. And those with a fond attachment to it from the good 'ole days are now in their 30s & 40s.

I do agree that the attractions could be top notch...although I think that the excitement for this IP is going to fade as time drags on and it languishes "in development".

Part of it is this. Avatarland 2.0. But also the longer it takes...the more likely that other more attractive IPs & ideas pop up. And the further that Nintendo slips from the consciousness of targeted audience. My 13 year old nephew loved Nintendo when he was 8 or 9.....now he is totally oblivious to it. And those with a fond attachment to it from the good 'ole days are now in their 30s & 40s.

The Nintendo Switch is the fastest selling console of all time in the North American market. I think they’ll be okay with potential guests

I'd love to get all 3 Nintendo lands at the same time in Orlando, but staggering them over 3 years makes the most sense in terms of bringing people back to the resort for multiple visits over multiple years (which is typically how the bean counters think).

So if they do want to open a Nintendo land before the 3rd dry park, then opening like this makes sense:

2022: Pokemon in KZ (or Zelda in LC)
2023: 3rd dry park opens with SNW
2024: Pokemon in KZ (or Zelda in LC) - whichever wasn't done in 2022

The question is really whether they want to open the main SNW in the 3rd dry park first, and then open the other 2 later in 2024/2025, but that seems like an unnecessarily long delay, at some point, you do want to be earning money on these IPs... that is the whole point here.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Give me Pokémon first! Mario Kart sounds amazing, but if Hollywood gets it first I can go there where as Pokémon would be an exclusive Orlando thing for a bit and I much prefer experiencing catching a charmander over visiting mushroom kingdom.

Reactions: zg44
I'd love to get all 3 Nintendo lands at the same time in Orlando, but staggering them over 3 years makes the most sense in terms of bringing people back to the resort for multiple visits over multiple years (which is typically how the bean counters think).

So if they do want to open a Nintendo land before the 3rd dry park, then opening like this makes sense:

2022: Pokemon in KZ (or Zelda in LC)
2023: 3rd dry park opens with SNW
2024: Pokemon in KZ (or Zelda in LC) - whichever wasn't done in 2022

The question is really whether they want to open the main SNW in the 3rd dry park first, and then open the other 2 later in 2024/2025, but that seems like an unnecessarily long delay, at some point, you do want to be earning money on these IPs... that is the whole point here.

The best order in terms of drawing people multiple times, would be Zelda, Pokemon, Mario. You do the least popular first, to get the pent up demand money. Then the 2nd most pop will get all the fans of that IP. Some of which will be ones who came the first time. Save the biggest for last, and you get everyone, some of which will be the 2nd and 3rd visit. You do them any other order and the last to open will not get the crowds that they would by doing them before Mario.

Based on the cost of SNW in Japan coming to $400 million+..., I'd expect that to be the kind of costs we're talking about...

These IP contracts are pretty strict in terms of required spending/building costs; SNW won't be cheap anywhere.

As for separate Pokemon and Zelda lands, those are probably a bit more fluid since they're only specific to Orlando at this point.
But...I would guess that labor & material costs are quite higher in Japan, plus the substantial earthquake/environmental codes present. Construction is costly in Japan. That also needs to be factored in.