Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 51 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I do agree though, that Mario has a greater pop-culture pull and is probably more known outside of the gaming world, but the Zelda series has a very dedicate fan base.
I have a feeling if there's going to be a Zelda or Pokemon ride, it will be in Japan. Maybe i'll be wrong though.

To be honest, only using Mario and spin-off characters like Toad and Yoshi would make sense because it make for a more uniform aesthetic. Have a central land that is like a worldmap/warpzone and then you have different pipes leading to the different rides.

Zelda is big, but not among the GP. The IP isn't nearly as big or strong as Mario, DK, Yoshi, etc..

It just hasn't been very prominent in pop-culture for about 15 years unless you are someone that pays super close attention. I used to love the game, but I haven't played it since the N64 days. That falls a lot on Nintendo too... either not proper promotion or their consoles being weaksauce. Unless someone brings it up, i've pretty much forgotten about it.

I agree that Zelda isn't as known or recognized as Mario, but it's still big and I'd say most of the GP is somewhat familiar with it. Not sure how one would get a good measurement on the GP familiarity with it without doing somesort of survey, but just looking at game sales (probably not the best way to measure due to many different variables such as the amount of consoles sold, etc) Twilight Princess (GC/Wii) is the best selling zelda game, even greater than Ocarina of Time for N64.

I don't think it would be too unlikely for Zelda to show up in Universal. Zelda has a strong dedicated fan base. If Universal had the space, I don't think it would be popularity/recognition of the franchise that would prevent a land being built, I think it would be the difficulty in building attractions for it. Granted, I'm no imagineer surprise surprise, but I have a hard time imagining what a zelda ride would be like.

As a Zelda fan, I hope they do create a Zelda land and can find a way to create attractions for it, but if they are only going to focus on one IP, then yea, it will be Mario without a doubt, and probably some characters in the Mario family such as Yoshi and Toad. If they do more than Mario though I think it would be possible to get a Zelda land.

Its weird, I get that but..DK is what started this. Like it or not,DK made Nintendo what it is, even before Mario came and that's when Nintendo got Mario as a mascot in home entertainment. Without a DK, we'd have no Mario.

So the un-named plumber looking man in DK isn't mario? :p

So the un-named plumber looking man in DK isn't mario? :p

Well if it is, then he became quite the dick in Donkey Kong Jr.
latest

These are the best selling Nintendo franchises:

1. Mario: 510m
-- Wii (it's number 2 but mainly because of Wii Sports, which was included with the Wii): 200m
2. Pokemon: 271m
3. Zelda: 74m
4. Donkey Kong 56m
-- Wii Fit: 44m
5. Kirby: 36m

I think someone has said there won't be a Pokemon ride in the land, so that basically leaves Zelda, DK, and Kirby (Mario is obvious). Zelda has more die-hard fans; DK has a wider appeal. JungleSkip has said it's gonna be dense so we might just get both IPs. Kirby will probably have a flat ride.

These are the best selling Nintendo franchises:

1. Mario: 510m
-- Wii (it's number 2 but mainly because of Wii Sports, which was included with the Wii): 200m
2. Pokemon: 271m
3. Zelda: 74m
4. Donkey Kong 56m
-- Wii Fit: 44m
5. Kirby: 36m

I think someone has said there won't be a Pokemon ride in the land, so that basically leaves Zelda, DK, and Kirby (Mario is obvious). Zelda has more die-hard fans; DK has a wider appeal. JungleSkip has said it's gonna be dense so we might just get both IPs. Kirby will probably have a flat ride.
Kirby is... cute? I guess in the same way Yoshi is i'd describe. I still say just do a Smash Bros. ride... then pretty much everyone gets in on it for a bit.

A Smash Bros ride could end up being like Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast, but with Nintendo series instead of Nickelodean shows and it could actually be good. I'd be 100% up with that. Maybe even throw in a random element like ST2.0? One time you'll see Kirby and visit his world then see Samus and visit her world, the next time you can visit Starfox and his world and Pikachu and his world.

Also, is there a change that Nintendo Land Phase 1 could be Mushroom Kingdom replacing KidZone in US, but Nintendo Land Phase 2 could be Hyrule replacing Lost Continent in IoA? Or something else similar?

Nope, pokemon is not a nintendo ip. One thing no one mentions: pikmin, have not played it myself, but my daughter loves it.
Actually... Nintendo does. Well, they own Game Freak/The Pokemon Company to be exact, which operates as a separate company but is owned by Nintendo and is a Nintendo IP. So it could go into Nintendo Land... if Game Freak approved of it, and they are known to be picky with these types of things.

The plummer has always been Mario. I remember as a young boy in the early 80s arcades watching the "Insert Coin Previews" and his name was Mario. I feel for Mario, he had a tough life... I think the reason why he is such a dick in DK Jr. has to do the break up with Pauline (damsel in distress). After all those barrels thrown at him by DK and all the rough time he went thru to save her, and what she does? She dumped him. He was very hurt and I think that's what pushed him to take revenge against the monkey who started it all. Although he enjoyed every second of his revenge "until that DK Jr came along of course", He knew it was time to move forward, so he open his own company (Mario Bros). Now I am not sure what's the deal is with Luigi. Mario never talked about his brother before so maybe he is a brother or maybe it's all a cover up for his private life.... I don't know, all I know is that he is obsessed with pipes since the whole Pauline deal, "more power to him". Unfortunately the company brought a lot of stress with all those critters coming out of the pipes to the point that Mario gave in to drugs, to the point that he started to hallucinate about a so called Mushroom Kingdom, and now I guess he has a crush on Princess Toad and something about ridding some kind of dragon or lizard he called Yoshi?.... IDK, All I am saying we might not agree with the choices Mario has taken in his life but don't forget he had it rough, so let be nice to him. I just hope his life don't end up in a tragedy. #SaveMario :tongue:

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Nope, pokemon is not a nintendo ip. One thing no one mentions: pikmin, have not played it myself, but my daughter loves it.
Pikmin was a fun game back in the day, but it's only had one sequel since 2002 or so (3 games total I believe). If you don't see it even being brought up as a possibility here, there's probably a reason for that. It simply hasn't made enough of a cultural impact.

The plummer has always been Mario. I remember as a young boy in the early 80s arcades watching the "Insert Coin Previews" and his name was Mario. I feel for Mario, he had a tough life... I think the reason why he is such a dick in DK Jr. has to do the break up with Pauline (damsel in distress). After all those barrels thrown at him by DK and all the rough time he went thru to save her, and what she does? She dumped him. He was very hurt and I think that's what pushed him to take revenge against the monkey who started it all. Although he enjoyed every second of his revenge "until that DK Jr came along of course", He knew it was time to move forward, so he open his own company (Mario Bros). Now I am not sure what's the deal is with Luigi. Mario never talked about his brother before so maybe he is a brother or maybe it's all a cover up for his private life.... I don't know, all I know is that he is obsessed with pipes since the whole Pauline deal, "more power to him". Unfortunately the company brought a lot of stress with all those critters coming out of the pipes to the point that Mario gave in to drugs, to the point that he started to hallucinate about a so called Mushroom Kingdom, and now I guess he has a crush on Princess Toad and something about ridding some kind of dragon or lizard he called Yoshi?.... IDK, All I am saying we might not agree with the choices Mario has taken in his life but don't forget he had it rough, so let be nice to him. I just hope his life don't end up in a tragedy. #SaveMario :tongue:

Don't forget he's also a communist

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

One thing Mario can't be saved is that he IS a killer..and trust me, its so morbid I won't say what but look in the manual of the original Super Mario Bros..the rest should come to you.

It just hasn't been very prominent in pop-culture for about 15 years unless you are someone that pays super close attention.

This is the exact reason I don't expect Zelda to have a large presence if any. Unless I'm missing something, this is a kid's land. Would kids even have a clue who Zelda is? There might be a dedicated group of fans, but if they are all 20 and older, they aren't going to build a kid's based attraction for them.

Unless I'm missing something, this is a kid's land. Would kids even have a clue who Zelda is?
There's absolutely no indication that this will be a "kid's land". It will definately appeal to kids, and families in general, but they wouldn't take a company that has a huge amount of fans both young and old and make its area just for kids.

Reactions: Blue