Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 98 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Completely blue sky but why not have three separate tracks with different style cars. One track through the jungle with Diddy Kong riding on a rhino, one track caves with Dixie Kong in the mine cart, and another track be a simulated underwater level of DK on a swordfish train with Donkey Kong. I mean the mine car is awesome but DK also rode Rhinos and bounced on trees and stuff. It would also help with re-rides and essentially could be three rides in one attraction and if you used a BTR sized plot you could fit them all. The tracks could even weave into other areas like it does in the game kinda when you find the secret tunnels and banana hoards

Completely blue sky but why not have three separate tracks with different style cars. One track through the jungle with Diddy Kong riding on a rhino, one track caves with Dixie Kong in the mine cart, and another track be a simulated underwater level of DK on a swordfish train with Donkey Kong. I mean the mine car is awesome but DK also rode Rhinos and bounced on trees and stuff. It would also help with re-rides and essentially could be three rides in one attraction and if you used a BTR sized plot you could fit them all. The tracks could even weave into other areas like it does in the game kinda when you find the secret tunnels and banana hoards

And maybe with the leftover money the rest of Nintendoland can be a shop or something.;)

Reactions: IzzyB
Given that there's multiple, unexpected launches on Gringotts, I don't think most parents would consider Gringott's "Low Intensity" for their children. Low Intensity is Hippogriff and Woody's Coaster.

I agree. I have an issue with Gringotts on this list for several reason. I feel it is more dark ride than coaster, it can be scary, and it can be intense at times. I would assume anything that is DK related will be less scary, intense, and have a lower height limit. I am looking for BTM intensity and theming, but shorter.

And maybe with the leftover money the rest of Nintendoland can be a shop or something.;)

Yeah, I think a DK mine cart attraction can be pretty sweet without a ton of bells and whistles. Start off the queue going through Funky's Flights, as if guests "flew" into DK Island. Have a nice Funky Kong AA to give some info on the island. Then have the queue move through Cranky's Cabin (which is mysteriously abandoned), and upward into DK's Treehouse (also abandoned). Cranky's Cabin and the treehouse can be filled with DK series memorabilia. Soon after, we enter a cavern where we meet a Cranky Kong AA (complete with rocking chair)
Cranky_RockingChair.gif~c200

who is basically sending us out in mine carts to look for DK and Diddy, who went out looking for their missing banana horde and never returned. Cranky can also provide safety info via voice over in the station.

If the queue stays elevated after DK's Treehouse, the station could also be elevated and start with an early drop, with a lift hill mid-course. Throw in a few mine carts with DK/Diddy in them, a few carts with Kremlings (the crocodile enemies from DKC1), a few sharp turns and sudden drops, maybe some scenery gags - perhaps a slower-paced pitch-dark section where the cart's headlamp is the only source of light? Some "near misses" with an oncoming DK and Diddy could also be fun. The barrel "blast" element mentioned should totally be included somewhere - it's genius!

But yeah, it doesn't need to be super-flashy and high tech to be a great ride. A couple of nice AAs throughout the experience, some immersive jungle and cavern theming, and a few clever gags in the ride portion would be enough for me. Though I'm also a massive DK fan, lol.

ps - I hope they don't skimp on the music. Iwata once said that the original DKC soundtrack was one of the few video game soundtracks he kept on his iPod, and for good reason I think. I better hear some DK Island Swing at some point, lol

Reactions: Mike S
Yeah, I think a DK mine cart attraction can be pretty sweet without a ton of bells and whistles. Start off the queue going through Funky's Flights, as if guests "flew" into DK Island. Have a nice Funky Kong AA to give some info on the island. Then have the queue move through Cranky's Cabin (which is mysteriously abandoned), and upward into DK's Treehouse (also abandoned). Cranky's Cabin and the treehouse can be filled with DK series memorabilia. Soon after, we enter a cavern where we meet a Cranky Kong AA (complete with rocking chair)
Cranky_RockingChair.gif~c200

who is basically sending us out in mine carts to look for DK and Diddy, who went out looking for their missing banana horde and never returned. Cranky can also provide safety info via voice over in the station.

If the queue stays elevated after DK's Treehouse, the station could also be elevated and start with an early drop, with a lift hill mid-course. Throw in a few mine carts with DK/Diddy in them, a few carts with Kremlings (the crocodile enemies from DKC1), a few sharp turns and sudden drops, maybe some scenery gags - perhaps a slower-paced pitch-dark section where the cart's headlamp is the only source of light? Some "near misses" with an oncoming DK and Diddy could also be fun. The barrel "blast" element mentioned should totally be included somewhere - it's genius!

But yeah, it doesn't need to be super-flashy and high tech to be a great ride. A couple of nice AAs throughout the experience, some immersive jungle and cavern theming, and a few clever gags in the ride portion would be enough for me. Though I'm also a massive DK fan, lol.

ps - I hope they don't skimp on the music. Iwata once said that the original DKC soundtrack was one of the few video game soundtracks he kept on his iPod, and for good reason I think. I better hear some DK Island Swing at some point, lol
If that's the queue we need all the music for those locations, especially Funky's Flights :) Cranky should be in his house though. He should also make jokes about all these new fangled rides of today like how he joked about games in DKC :lol:

BGM for the entire land needs to be top notch. Both Potter lands are disappointingly light on music. There's so much to choose from with Nintendo, I hope they're really long loops

If that's the queue we need all the music for those locations, especially Funky's Flights :) Cranky should be in his house though. He should also make jokes about all these new fangled rides of today like how he joked about games in DKC :lol:

Oh man, they could have Cranky totally go in Simpson's Ride-style on the ride/theme parks

"Let's be real, this ride is just here to butter you all up for some official Cranky Kong merchandise!"

"You folks should have seen my plans for this ride! Then that dang plumber stole all the budget!"

"A mine cart coaster? Is this the best they could come up with?"

"Back in my day, we had ferris wheels! And we liked them!"

Cranky has always been savage lol. I'm pretty sure his first dialogue in DKC2 has him calling the game an "unnecessary sequel" :p

Oh man, they could have Cranky totally go in Simpson's Ride-style on the ride/theme parks

"Let's be real, this ride is just here to butter you all up for some official Cranky Kong merchandise!"

"You folks should have seen my plans for this ride! Then that dang plumber stole all the budget!"

"A mine cart coaster? Is this the best they could come up with?"

"Back in my day, we had ferris wheels! And we liked them!"

Cranky has always been savage lol. I'm pretty sure his first dialogue in DKC2 has him calling the game an "unnecessary sequel" :p
Now if he isn't there I'll be seriously upset. Cranky's wise words need to be on a t-shirt as well lol.

Reactions: boomerthom
BGM for the entire land needs to be top notch. Both Potter lands are disappointingly light on music. There's so much to choose from with Nintendo, I hope they're really long loops

I have to believe, that with Mariokart and DK especially, music should play into the factor. That being said for the area itself..that could depend on how they go with it.

I have to believe, that with Mariokart and DK especially, music should play into the factor. That being said for the area itself..that could depend on how they go with it.

DK should be pretty easy. I mean, you already have ample jungle music, cave music, mine cart music, etc to pick from. Mario Kart may be tougher since there aren't recurring themes, and the music totally changes from game to game. Mario Kart 8 has a great soundtrack, though, so I wouldn't mind if they pulled from that. Hopefully the next installment (which will probably be out by 2018/2019) also has a killer soundtrack.

edit - I wonder if Universal/Nintendo will remix any music for the parks. Like, the DK jungle music is a fantastic track, but its SNES fidelity likely won't hold up for modern guests. A reinstrumentation exclusive to the parks might be a neat idea. Though, something like the Tropical Freeze version is already modernized and probably my favorite version of the theme. Universal has a lot of options.

Last edited:
So the more I've been thinking about the idea of a DK Mine Train coaster, the more I've been racking my brain trying to think of how, aside from great theming and dark ride elements, they could differentiate it from other similar concepts (like 7D down the road). And then it hit me... Utilize the 'family drop coaster' concept. As far as I know not only is not something you'll find in the Orlando area, it hasn't been implemented in the US yet either. The concept lends itself perfectly to the DK property and provides Universal to promote an otherwise classic family coaster as something "new and exciting."

So the more I've been thinking about the idea of a DK Mine Train coaster, the more I've been racking my brain trying to think of how, aside from great theming and dark ride elements, they could differentiate it from other similar concepts (like 7D down the road). And then it hit me... Utilize the 'family drop coaster' concept. As far as I know not only is not something you'll find in the Orlando area, it hasn't been implemented in the US yet either. The concept lends itself perfectly to the DK property and provides Universal to promote an otherwise classic family coaster as something "new and exciting."

As far as I think, Verboten from BGW uses the Drop track. I can be wrong in that though.

Assuming that this "Nintendoland" is actually just broken up into Mushroom Kingdom and Donkey Kong Island/Country, I hope there's a little bridge with water underneath that separates the two. They're in different universes, technically.

Reactions: martymcflyy85
Assuming that this "Nintendoland" is actually just broken up into Mushroom Kingdom and Donkey Kong Island/Country, I hope there's a little bridge with water underneath that separates the two. They're in different universes, technically.
Not really. When it comes to Mario and DK the two universes are very closely tied together. Mario's first appearance being in Donkey Kong and not to mention DK characters constantly appearing in Mario spin off games which was a completely unique honor for them until Mario Kart 8 introduced Link and Animal Crossing characters as DLC. If there's any true shared universe in Nintendo, it's between Mario and Donkey Kong.