Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks | Page 28 | Inside Universal Forums

Nintendo Coming to Universal Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Nintendo is a huge IP clearly but I don't see it giving Potter a run for its money at all. Seems like you can never be too old for Mario. Pokemon on the other hand doesn't have the following it once had. Not E-Ticket worthy I don't think. Hell i still pull out my N64 every couple years to play Zelda OoT.

Nintendo is a huge IP clearly but I don't see it giving Potter a run for its money at all. Seems like you can never be too old for Mario. Pokemon on the other hand doesn't have the following it once had. Not E-Ticket worthy I don't think. Hell i still pull out my N64 every couple years to play Zelda OoT.
While Pokemon has been one of the top selling games on every version of the gameboy and Pokemon X and Y is the #1 selling game on the 3DS, I agree. Beyond Gameboy, it hasn't been a big franchise really within the last 15 years or so. They haven't released any major console games in that time, which is how the entire family can become acclimated to the characters.

Yes, Pokemon has some great characters, but I just don't see it being the right franchise to base a ride off of given their options with Nintendo. I'm sure if they did decide to build a Pokemon based ride though that it would be great.

I feel like this is the same issue with Metroid. The Gameboy/DS games are a completely different type of game than anything Pokemon that has been released for the consoles. I would bet money if they made a Pokemon MMORPG or Pokemon game that was the same as the gameboy/DS versions that you could battle other trainers online they would be running out of places to put money.

Unless they go specific with the land - like Mario World or Hyrule - I only see Pokemon (Pikachu) being represented as a M&G, or Pokemon statues sprinkled throughout at most.

Unless they go specific with the land - like Mario World or Hyrule - I only see Pokemon (Pikachu) being represented as a M&G, or Pokemon statues sprinkled throughout at most.

Specifically at UOR for sure. I wouldn't put a Pokemon land out of the realm of possibility for the foreign markets though.

M&G's I can definitely see. An Ash and Pikachu M&G would be cool. Although if I had it my way, we'd be meeting Charizard. :lol:

I see a lot of people speculating about flat rides/spinners. Not saying there won't be one or two (I honestly don't know), but that totally is not the crux of this project. Universal is going for immersive dark rides (of varying sizes most likely).

This is Fantasyland, not Toy Story Playland

When I said flats/spinners, I meant highly detailed ones. I know Uni will knock this out of the park. Studios just has so many indoor rides.

Mario deserves an E-ticket dark ride, no question. Pokemon really lends itself to outdoor environments though, but I could see an "outdoor dark ride" in the realm of Alice at Disneyland: A slow car ride around different biomes to see different Pokemon types. And with Donkey Kong, I think we're all expecting a dense jungle setting. Mine coaster, barrel spinner, etc.

EDIT: I'll amend my previous comment to this -- what Universal needs more than anything else is family-friendly attractions in the most literal sense. Currently, I feel like I wouldn't be able to take my grandparents to Universal. I'm hoping the Nintendo additions change that. So perhaps immersive, slow-paced, cute rides.

Last edited:
I'll go on record and say I think Nintendo (as a whole) is bigger than Potter. I don't think any single IP is Potter level but all of them together I do. I wont say this land will hit Potter like attendance increases simply because I'm not sure what the land is yet, though I'm pretty confident the merch sales will be through the roof.

Also keep in mind Nintendo IP has gotten to where it is almost purely through games alone. This may soon be changing, Iwata has hinted at using certain characters for film and video content.

While speaking at the Q&A portion of Nintendo’s latest financial results briefing, CEO Satoru Iwata hinted at the company potentially expanding to “films and video content”. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem as though Iwata elaborated much on this.

It's kind of vague, but if it means using certain characters for movies or cartoons then could increase recognition and value of some of their IP even more so. Miyamoto himself created a short animated series with Pikmin, I wonder if it was a test/sample for what they are planning on in the future. Here is an article from IGN if you want to read about those animated short films. If they expand upon those short animated series and make them into something more, maybe license them out to major studios I think it could be great. I think it would be a good move to get their characters out there and in different mediums, attracting fans they already have in addition to many who maybe don't like video games or haven't given some characters a chance.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it be interesting if universal was able to develop something in a Nintendo land, along the lines of the interactive wands in Diagon, where guests can buy a pokeball or something along that line and throughout the land Pokemon are hidden and can be "caught"

Wouldn't it be interesting if universal was able to develop something in a Nintendo land, along the lines of the interactive wands in Diagon, where guests can buy a pokeball or something along that line and throughout the land Pokemon are hidden and can be "caught"

Stahp! If this dosen't happen, I will be sad...amazing idea...It would be neat if you could battle with others somehow someway too

Thanks for explaining! I was just thrown by the generational comment. I guess I was just seeing how some of these characters have been around for some 30 years. I really see this as a way for UOR to do more to entertain families....though the ball factory back in Kid Zone can be a blast for everyone, we mostly avoid that area of the park, I mean my daughter could play in the one area for hours, it just sucks to sit there on the wall in the sun waiting for her to be ready to move on.

I really think my whole family will enjoy what they come up with and I also feel this will help draw more interest from families to check UNI out.

I don't think it has the same impact as films where it is much easier for families to enjoy together, and take that enjoyment to the parks. To keep some kind of relevance to today's kids they are going to have to use Pokemon etc, which while most parents know what it is, they won't be picking up their kid's 3DS to play it.

I guess this all just based on my gut feel. The announcement has not excited me anywhere near as much as Kong, I prefer the film IPs that make you feel like you are in the films, witnessing the action and adventure. I've already written Nintendo off in my head as a Kids area in the parks that I'll walk by, admire because it looks pretty, and leave it at that.

You could have a gym and fight the people inside and work your way up to the leader. The fight can play out live with musion. You throw your ball out and they come out on the screen and you command them using a pokedex. They can also have a proffer or oak lab and have it be like Olavanders where you pick out a pokemon. That's all they would need for pokemon in something like this.

I'm suprised nobody has thought of this scene yet for a Mario e-Ticket but what if you transition out of a huge green tube during some part of the ride and into a 360 screen. With Mario getting the Huge Mushroom power up that causes him to tower above the riders. So while he battles the Koopa-Troopas the vehicle will shake as he steps up and over you. I'm gonna draw out the rest of the design later.

[CANOFWORMSABOUTSCREENS]
I'm suprised nobody has thought of this scene yet for a Mario e-Ticket but what if you transition out of a huge green tube during some part of the ride and into a 360 screen. With Mario getting the Huge Mushroom power up that causes him to tower above the riders. So while he battles the Koopa-Troopas the vehicle will shake as he steps up and over you. I'm gonna draw out the rest of the design later.

[/CANOFWORMSABOUTSCREENS]

Let's not go there!!

Is it possible there could be a Mario ride where all the games of the character Mario play out in the ride? Like one room would be Mario Galaxy or the other Mario Kart? Or would that not be a good idea? Just spit balling here, trying to make some convo lol

It would be cool if the design changed along with how the mainline Mario games evolved. Start out 8-bit and end with galaxy or 3D world.

Geez, between Nintendo and Simpsons, I feel like I should make a rezzy at the nearest nursing home. On the other hand, I would have and probably thought the franchises were junk when I was in my twenties...

So, I am at a kitty loss. Meow.