No more Night of Joy | Inside Universal Forums

No more Night of Joy

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 31, 2013
Night of Joy is no longer, after moving it out of MK into ESPN last year they have outright ended it. So that, along with Grad Nights several years ago, have a pair of events that Disney and Universal used to do, but now only Universal does. (Grad Bash and Rock the Universe)

It'll probably make RTU even more crowded, but I was always wondering if they would forgo RTU to pull up the HHN dates. Although last year one of the RTU days was canned because of Hurricane Irma.

Disney ended these events at MK because it wasn't worth dealing with the loss of revenue from actual spending guests anymore. Based on what I know about RTU and Grad Bash, I won't be surprised if Universal eventually hits this point as well. It probably won't be until at least after Park 3 opens, where they would hit that point, but I can see it happening.

Money talks and with them going for a lot of on-site hotels now and this new nighttime show (and the potter castle show), if they start having higher demand from On-site guests to keep the parks open later and they realize they are losing out on money because of the events (most who go to Grad Bash/Gradventure don't spend much money for example), that's when tough decisions need to be made.

Where is the loss of revenue on after hours events when guests are already paying to be inside the park after the day guests?

Was there an official announcement, or is this coming as a rumor? I’m fascinated to see the reaction to this.

bye_felicia.jpg

Reactions: Andysol
Where is the loss of revenue on after hours events when guests are already paying to be inside the park after the day guests?
Well, for one at MK for example, they have many Table service restaurants that run a pretty penny that do not operate during the event. You're also inconveniencing thousands of on-site hotel guests who want to go to the premiere park in Orlando, most of whom are families and have budgeted a lot of money out. No dessert parties for fireworks. Low ticket prices for the event and fairly low attendance in comparison to what nightly numbers would normally be. I could go on and on. Don't forget Disney/Universal have to book musical acts for these events as a part of the costs as well.

The event wasn't worth it once they moved it to WWoS last year and most skipped in favor of RTU since it takes place inside of a park... it was basically the equivalent of moving a TV show to Friday nights.

Were they making money in terms of keeping the lights on? I'm sure they were. But once you factor in all of the lost revenue from restaurants, dessert parties and those actually willing to put out a significant amount of money before walking out the gates, you are likely not making as much as you could if you just run business as usual. Dealing with the attendees and cleaning up after them can become a bit much as well.

We were staying at CBBR the weekend of Universal's RTU one year. The wild, completely uncontrolled kids rampaging through the resort were so bad I swore I would never go to Universal on that weekend again, and I haven't. Why any park would want that group of out of control, unsupervised on the whole, kids, I'll never understand. ...Disney's move makes complete sense to me.

We were staying at CBBR the weekend of Universal's RTU one year. The wild, completely uncontrolled kids rampaging through the resort were so bad I swore I would never go to Universal on that weekend again, and I haven't. Why any park would want that group of out of control, unsupervised on the whole, kids, I'll never understand. ...Disney's move makes complete sense to me.

I've heard say several MK CMs say they would work New Years Eve over Night of Joy.

I've heard say several MK CMs say they would work New Years Eve over Night of Joy.
This isn’t even an exaggeration. While NYE is crazy, at least most behave themselves. They just want to have a fun time with family on the last night of the year.

NoJ/RTU attracts a crowd that just want to cause chaos... despite it being a Christian event. Grad Bash kids are far better behaved, albeit mostly because it’s a school-sanctioned trip and if they screw up there it could dictate whether they walk or not for graduation.

Night of Joy has been happening during the MNSSHP for the past few years so it's like it's a new scheduling conflict. The Halloween season just keeps inching earlier and earlier. It must really be the ROI isn't worth the money it brings in or the issues.

Another win for Universal on becoming the sole provider of another pretty historical theme park event, as filled with obnoxious brats as the parks get.

Wow, they sound like a bunch of thugs and hoodlums! The things I learn on this forum!

An evangelical friend explained to me that churches would buy up block of tickets and have teen members give them to friends, the idea being that exposure to "the Word" through Christian music might convert them. Practical effectiveness of that sort of evangelism aside, what you would get would be a busload of 30 teens with raging hormones who care nothing about the bands playing being chaperoned by maybe two or three 20-somethings they've never met before and will never see again set loose in a theme park. Multiply that times every big church in central Florida.

Think of it as the American equivalent of Brazilian tour groups.

An evangelical friend explained to me that churches would buy up block of tickets and have teen members give them to friends, the idea being that exposure to "the Word" through Christian music might convert them. Practical effectiveness of that sort of evangelism aside, what you would get would be a busload of 30 teens with raging hormones who care nothing about the bands playing being chaperoned by maybe two or three 20-somethings they've never met before and will never see again set loose in a theme park. Multiply that times every big church in central Florida.

Think of it as the American equivalent of Brazilian tour groups.
From my experience, teen me was one of the only outsiders and I was by far the most behaved one of the group. Those of you that know me may go ahead and form your own ideas of what that actually means :peace:

Reactions: SeventyOne
I remember a story from years back about NoJ. Two young guests had their own boat Pirates and, taking advantage of the lack of other riders, turned into their own Tunnel of Love. The story matters because all the CMs working the ride that night met them at unload with a round of applause.