"Old School" Universal Orlando | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

"Old School" Universal Orlando

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet but, I miss the old Nickelodeon studios so bad! Anyone remember the shows they filmed there like Guts!, Legends of the Hidden Temple (my favorite), and Slime Time Live? That was great stuff

If anyone has THE ORIGINAL Universal Orlando map please post it!

us1999map.jpg

us1992map.jpg

Glad to help my friend

Wow! I throughly enjoyed reading this entire thread! I only started visiting the Universal complex back in 2002 or 2003, and I never got to visit many of the old rides, or the Nick sets, or any stages for that matter. I can understand that rides come and go, but I'm upset that "Universal Studios" is not being at all "Studio-like" now a days. I think it would be REALLY nice to have back the shows tapings, the tours, and have the Studios be more than just another theme park, and own up to its name! I'm sad I missed out on the "Studios" era of Universal Studios :(

I used to watch SO many of the shows that were taped at Nicktoons Studios in Universal and didn't even know it! (on a slighly unrelated topic, I wish Nickelodion would bring back those shows like Guts and Legends of the Hidden Temple! They are, in my opinion, SO SO SO much better than all the crap they have on nowadays.. and those aweful "Teen Nick" shows like Degrassi... Shows like Guts and LotHT are what pre-teens should be watching!) It was cool reading about the stuff that went on in previous years and I really hope these types of shows come back to the Studios in the nearest possible future. I'd definitely love to get to see the tapings, or tour the sets of these type of shows with my younger brother. I'm personally not very interested in the wrestling shows that were/(are?) taped in Universal... so that doesn't hold interest for me :shrug:

Anyways, thanks so much for all the pictures and videos you guys posted! It was very cool to see! :thumbs:

I strongly agree, Felipe. Nickelodeon is nowhere near as good as it was several years ago. The classic game shows and the slimings were so much better than current stuff like "True Jackson: VP and Fanboy and Chum Chum".

While on the topic of Nickelodeon Studios, I found an article about the history of Nickelodeon Studios which includes pictures of the construction, grand opening and futher on in time. I really thought it was a great read and worth a few minutes of my time. Here it is: http://www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/5016/

Actually the IOA preview center took the place of the original Screen Test adventure which was in the paradise theater facade and that is now the extended queue for Revenge of The Mummy.

Aww I remember going to Universal when I was around 10 :) Miami Vice show, Kongfrontation, Back to the Future, sitting in the filming of a Nickelodeon show, those were the days :)

Makes me miss going to the theme parks with my parents! *sniff*

Nice thread...I've been going to USF since before it was officially open to the public. My mother worked at Lombard's Landing and we got a sneak preview.

My best memories were

Riding E.T. for the first time, I was about 11 years old,

Seeing Hanna Barbera, especially the interactive games outside of the ride.

Enjoying the Miami Vice Stuntacular with the boat in the middle that would rip apart, and all of the other pyro effects

Seeing from Kirkman Rd. the Psycho House decked out with Christmas lights, I believe, the Christmas before the park officially opened.

Being in Hard Rock Cafe as they had everybody dancing and singing with the lights dimming and brightening to the song "Shout!"

Watching the Slime Geyser at Nick Studios back when it was still a fresh white color, then eventually turned green over the years. Yes, the old days of Nickelodeon were the best.

Going through "How to make a Mega Movie Deal"

Seeing the very first "Fright Nights" before it became HHN, they had some great concerts, magic shows and only IIRC ONE haunted house.

Also, one note about replacing iconic attractions like King Kong with ones like the Mummy. Universal has had a good track record of making attractions that are either:

A.) Designed to have mass appeal, even if the guests aren't that familiar with the actual source, examples, Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Shark Attacks, Shooting Aliens. Not everyone may be familiar with the actual movies they portray, but they easily understand the concepts. I mean, before Earthquake turned into Disaster! how many people who went and enjoyed it, remembered the movie itself from the 70's? I doubt many.

B.) Designed to take advantage of a pop culture franchise, with the idea of eventually replacing it (Alfred Hitchcock, Shrek, Back to the Future)...the attractions are not that difficult to overhaul. Having said that, I suppose Universal isn't playing the same way in Singapore, or backing away at all from the Shrek and Madagascar franchises...I guess we'll see how well that plays in 5-10 years.

I wish they would forget about what's popular now and make something revolutionary in USO with an older film. For instance, maybe a crazy dark ride based on rides/franchises that have been debunked at the park: King Kong and Back to the Future. This is supposed to be Universal STUDIOS. lol

Still wish I was around during the mid 90s...meaning I wish I was old enough to see the park at the time, too bad I was only a youngster.