Old Vs New HHN | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Old Vs New HHN

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, I don't even understand how they would make money on a FF pass for only 70 bucks.

If this was the lowest FF Pass then inflation from 2023 would make the ticket at 113 and the lowest pass is 60ish bucks more then that so really not too bad.

Also looked it up this was before HP, so that was the trend of pricing costing more.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I mean, I don't even understand how they would make money on a FF pass for only 70 bucks.

If this was the lowest FF Pass then inflation from 2023 would make the ticket at 113 and the lowest pass is 60ish bucks more then that so really not too bad.

Also looked it up this was before HP, so that was the trend of pricing costing more.

Food, drink, merch, etc. It was a different time when you didn't need to price people out for crowd control.

Food, drink, merch, etc. It was a different time when you didn't need to price people out for crowd control.
Still those were insane prices and while I understand in a way it sucks, the events have grown because of the prices increases so at least for me I'm good with it as long as they keep investing in the events.

Do we know what year HHN really started to get big? The events at USH at least have always been packed since I started to go in like 2009 and when I got the FF Pass a year or two later it was for sure around 160-180 already

Still those were insane prices and while I understand in a way it sucks, the events have grown because of the prices increases so at least for me I'm good with it as long as they keep investing in the events.

Do we know what year HHN really started to get big? The events at USH at least have always been packed since I started to go in like 2009 and when I got the FF Pass a year or two later it was for sure around 160-180 already

2012 was the start with The Walking Dead, but I'd say 2018 with Stranger Things launched it into a new atmosphere.

A clean visual of price changes compared to the event's offerings.

1721236712384.png

Since HHN 28, has increased HHN Orlando pricing by 32% for 1-night tickets, and 67% for 1-Night Express Passes (+$71). Multi-Night passes have increased $84-196 for non-Express options.Waits have increased by 14% since 2019. Capacity stagnate.

Wait-Times Up, Prices Up, Capacity Down/Stagnate. It's sad to see HHN take the route of increased pricing while not improving the guest experience simultaneously.

View attachment 22564

Since HHN 28, has increased HHN Orlando pricing by 32% for 1-night tickets, and 67% for 1-Night Express Passes (+$71). Multi-Night passes have increased $84-196 for non-Express options.Waits have increased by 14% since 2019. Capacity stagnate.

Wait-Times Up, Prices Up, Capacity Down/Stagnate. It's sad to see HHN take the route of increased pricing while not improving the guest experience simultaneously.
I and fans are to blame

We just go no matter what, I mean maybe this year could slow down compared to last year but doubt it will teach Universal any good lessons they will just spend less the year after if the money dips

View attachment 22564

You gotta let this go, bud… lol

Reactions: Legacy

I would argue the biggest change from "classic" to "new" HHN is how much less they push alcohol these days (no, kids under 27, really!). You'd walk in, "Ice ... Cold ... Beer!!!" guy was right there before you saw a single scare. "Naughty" nurses with Jell-O shot syringes everywhere--at least a dozen scattered throughout the park. At least one beer cart in every queue, and by every exit. Specialty shots in addition to specialty drinks. And lots of drunk food to go with it (basic greasy stuff like pizza and twisted taters, nothing themed, but still).

Your admission fee was basically a cover charge to the world's coolest Halloween bar.

I would argue the biggest change from "classic" to "new" HHN is how much less they push alcohol these days (no, kids under 27, really!). You'd walk in, "Ice ... Cold ... Beer!!!" guy was right there before you saw a single scare. "Naughty" nurses with Jell-O shot syringes everywhere--at least a dozen scattered throughout the park. At least one beer cart in every queue, and by every exit. Specialty shots in addition to specialty drinks. And lots of drunk food to go with it (basic greasy stuff like pizza and twisted taters, nothing themed, but still).

Your admission fee was basically a cover charge to the world's coolest Halloween bar.
Last time I went it was like this, didn't realize it has changed. Good to know since this is the first time I am bringing my teen. While she has grown up knowing what alcohol is and that adults (including my husband and I) drink it, it would be better not having naughty nurses everywhere lol

In fairness, I think most of the queues still have a beer cart somewhere along the route (or they did last year when I visited). The vibe and proliferation of alcohol absolutely shifted when Potter arrived and the resort shifted focus, though. I do remember the naughty nurses.

In fairness, I think most of the queues still have a beer cart somewhere along the route (or they did last year when I visited). The vibe and proliferation of alcohol absolutely shifted when Potter arrived and the resort shifted focus, though. I do remember the naughty nurses.

HHN 27 was the start of the shift. There may even be discussions on here about it. It caught fans off-guard.

I remember back in the day Bill and Ted would make fun of the fact you can't drink at HHN

HHN 27 was the start of the shift. There may even be discussions on here about it. It caught fans off-guard.

As I recall -- and you two have been going longer than me, so feel free to check me if I'm wrong here -- there were basically two shifts. The first came around the launch of Potter. The urban legend was that JKR visited the event and was aghast at how heavily alcohol was being pushed and how sloppy many guests were as a result. That led to the phasing out of the naughty nurses and some of the more aggressive sales tactics, but hard liquor was still extremely available -- just presented differently. Around HHN 27, the availability of hard liquor was dramatically reduced, and you basically had to find one of a handful of bars that offered liquor to get anything that wasn't beer or wine.

I believe 2013 was the year they removed the nurses, because I remember them announcing the heart shaped jello shots instead of the blood bags (I dont know if it was an actual announcement of it, but I remember seeing pictures) and it was the year I turned 21 so I dont think I ever had the luxury. I’m pretty sure there was also talks of the nurses having already been hired when they decided to cut it.

I do recall fireball and maybe other shots being an option in the queues for a few years after that though.

As I recall -- and you two have been going longer than me, so feel free to check me if I'm wrong here -- there were basically two shifts. The first came around the launch of Potter. The urban legend was that JKR visited the event and was aghast at how heavily alcohol was being pushed and how sloppy many guests were as a result. That led to the phasing out of the naughty nurses and some of the more aggressive sales tactics, but hard liquor was still extremely available -- just presented differently. Around HHN 27, the availability of hard liquor was dramatically reduced, and you basically had to find one of a handful of bars that offered liquor to get anything that wasn't beer or wine.
That’s the gist of it.

I miss the nurses but I'm glad that jello shots aren't sold. I saw too many young people and even kids taking sips from it.
but the park felt cooler with the nurses being around because it felt less empty of hhn characters.
the nurses felt like hhn actors, just not scaring.

I get that I criticize Universal, but I'm not going against any community guidelines. Simply adding to the conversation by providing data to back my comments. Nothing I said was egregious or false.

My comment didn't come from a place of moderation.

The graph is missing a broader context when evaluating the value of HHN tickets and their relation to its offerings.

The data should include factors such as the expansion of the Food & Drink offerings, the Tribute Store, investments in free entertainment across the Resort, Universal's reliance on popular IPs in the lineup, quality of zones/makeup/props/facades, and the fluctuation of the dollar's value over the past decade. Since there's no accurate way to apply a true value to those offerings, it's hard to really conclude anything - and without this additional information, it's difficult to accurately determine the true value of each ticket. The graph doesn't offer enough data to conclusively demonstrate its impact on the guest experience. Some argue that HHN tickets have historically been undervalued so a 32% increase over 10 years, while considering inflation, doesn't seem too crazy. The only significant increase was for the Express pass – a luxury - that is not a necessity for attending the event.